Apple contacted me again about a job, for the second time in the past 3 months...

Discussion in 'Community' started by corywoolf, Jul 18, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I said I couldn't last time, but I wish the store was a bit closer. It is 45 minutes away. I am driving a leased 2005 f-150. Should I go in for an interview? I would like to work there so bad, but I have heard both sides, it is a crappy place to work (low pay, ignorant people, etc.), and it's a great place to work (discounts, cool job, good place to put on resume)

well what do you all think???

I could start off maybe 2 nights a week, its only a part time job. I would be spending half the money on gas that I make, but It would be cool. I am 17 and have already been asked to be interviewed by them once, I said it was too far away. The only reason I even applied is because I was curious to see if they would even except anyone under 18. Pretty rare from what I have heard.

oh man, I am so mad they still don't have an apple store in ann arbor, MI

its got the U of M for crying out loud... I had found an awsome place to put it too. Right accross from the diag, in a school supply store on the corner. with the ann arbor art fair being a massive event every year, that would attract lots of customers ( they even have permenent signs on the highway saying where to go and park to get a bus). anyways, any advice would be great, especially since I just quit my job at burger king.

thanks in advance

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Wow, what did you do that they are so eager to hire you? I would love to work at an Apple Store, but the closest one is an hour and a half away

3. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Seems like a slam dunk to me, I would take the job because:

--It is a much better job than Burger King...

--You can be around Macs instead of Whoppers...

--You can get Apple certified on the hardware and software so that when Apple does eventually open a store in Ann Arbor you will already have experience at an Apple store and all you will have to do is transfer to the new store at a higher payrate than the new people just starting...

--Wouldn't you prefer "ignorant" Apple customers to "ignorant" Burger King customers? At least the subject is Mac's, something you love versus cheese or no cheese with that Whopper...Hope this advice is somewhat helpful...

4. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Well, I told them about how i have taken college courses on pro app software and have grown up using macs (my schools have all macs, principle has a nice g5 powermac with a 15" PB for paperwork!!!??? :eek: :confused:

I am a very persistant person and have a lot of mac knowledge. But I don't feel like trying to brag anymore (not even much of a brag, i know). I really am not sure why they want me. I am on the apple job finder listing service, so they are required to email me automatically whenever a new job comes up, but yeah, I know it might be unrealistic with a truck that gets 17 MPG highway. :eek: I wanted a civic, but no, gotta get the big truck (my dad used it to move stuff for a while).

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, if I was searching for a job and Apple offered me one at an Apple Store I would definately take it. Just think surrounded by awesome Macs all day long... :D

6. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

i wish i could work at my local apple store...but i'm 15 and you have to be 18 i thought.

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Do it.
    Seventeen? An Apple job? Look at the future man.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

yeah, I'd also say do it.

I'd looooove to work at the Apple store, but they keep giving me crap about how I'm under 18.

or, I'm surprised no one has said this yet:
    At burger king, you at least get to work with BIG MACS!! (or is that McDonalds? )

*ducks and runs*

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

All good things take time AlmightyG5.

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

It would be cool to have an Apple Store in Ann Arbor. I don't see it happening soon though because there are already 3 stores in Michigan.
    I would probably spend too much money there anyway.

11. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

haha, i don't have the job for sure obviously, but I am good with interviews and usually get the job. I have a couple other jobs I am looking at too, so I will make up my mind over my trip to NYC for 2 weeks coming up next week. I realise the job may be filled by then, but I really need to think about the milage (is that a word?) on the truck and figure out if the lease would screw with it. I made $6.75 at BK, which is good for a fast food job around here. They wouldn't let me take 2 weeks off to go visit my dad in nyc, so I gave my 2 weeks notice a week ago. The only thing is that I will not be taking the job for the money, just the pleasure of being around macs, I would of course inform you all if I had seen anything like delays in shipments and boxs marked " do not open until..."

:D ;)

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ha, ha...Big Macs. :D

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yes! thassss right!! :) :) :)

14. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

good luck in the interview... seriously... i went in and answered their questions perfectly.. and yet i didn't get the job.. i was on target everytime... and clever... and not timid or anything... but i was myself... so if your gonna play the "be yourself card".. it might not work.. didn't for me apparantley... they really want someone "unique" i figure... thus i wasn't "unique" enough for em'.. oh and if you don't have previous sales experience THEY WILL PICK ON YOU for that (during the interview that is)... so be weary...

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you won't be working at Burger King, corywoolf, then what's the alternative to working for Apple? What job might you get that's closer to home? You're trying to decide between two choices but we don't know what one of them is.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Go for it - even if you do spend half the cash on gas. It will get a lot more attention on your CV that your stint in BK - and who knows, if they do open a store in Ann Arbor, you'll be first in line to transfer over (and perhaps for a fulltime job).

17. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

Apple called me today and told me i got the job once my background check clears (which it will) and the pay they offered really isn't bad at all :cool: so i don't see a reason why you shouldn't take the job.

18. Lau Guest

Why not take it and see how it goes? There's no harm in trying it and giving it a shot. You might regret it if you don't. Also, they wanted you badly enough to call you twice, and they know the distance was what was putting you off, so if you end up resigning soon because of the distance, they're going to know why, so it's not a problem.

You might find something works out in your favour, like, I don't know, someone who also works there lives near you and you could take it in turns to drive. You never know what might happen.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Positives
    -Respected Retail Company
    -Technical Sales
    -It's Apple!
    -You Need a Job!

Negatives:
    -Gas Costs

Solutions.

First, make them want you! It is the only real imperative
    Second, negotiate a few cents more per hour
    Third, borrow a friends motorcycle, catch a subway or bus (it's only twice a week), get a moped.

20. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

thanks, but there are no subways here, there are no buses that go that far and a moped on a highway with people going 80 mph next to you wouldn't be too safe or even legal.

I decided to say no once again, apple really needs to put a store in ann arbor (like i already said), it has a great artistic community, it has the U of M and people with loads of money. It is common that people who live in san francisco have lived in ann arbor or vise versa (my dad moved to SF for a year and I visited, many of his neighbors have lived in ann arbor and know many people here). Ann Arbor has the Hash Bash every year, that basically puts it on par (almost) with SF. I guess you could call it a sister city (not as big as SF, but lots of the same kind of people).

check out this panorama of the diag

http://vr.montefowler.com/umdiag.html

look at the campus book supply store on the corner, that is where it needs to go, it is picture perfect for apple.

http://vr.montefowler.com/umarcade.html

or they could put it near here

http://vr.montefowler.com/aastatelib.html

21. drison macrumors regular

drison

Huh, we have an Apple store down here in Buckeye country. :D

22. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

As good as it sounds, its not going to happen.
    Novi is too close.
    We already have the UM Union and CompUSA which sell Macs.
    The cost to acquire that property would be enormous.

23. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Check your lease document. If you go over your yearly milage the
    penalty rate may be very high.

Good luck - Greg