Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Design by Apple in California by English, German, French, Chinese, Canadian, etc... and all those people working at Apple that are not from California...

Fixed for them.

Why does it matter if you were born in California or not? :confused:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Very Nike-like. I think the same stock photo could have been used in a Nike ad and no one would have a second thought. It's kind of logical when you consider they target similar markets and collaborate on the iPod nano.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Yes, but are they proudly putting "Deigned by Apple in California" next to the iOS7 icons and buttons?

Just sayin...

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Definitely classy ... I like how Apple isn't trying to take any shots at its competitors. Pretty stark contrast to Samsung's "Next Big Thing" ads of late.

In advertising, traditionally, the underdog is allowed to take shots at the competitors without looking petty or low-class. That's why I think Apple finally retired the Mac/PC ads. At one point, those and the switcher ads were perfectly fine but Apple's position as a dominant player in the tech world has made that kind of thing a little tacky.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It sounds to me like someone inside Apple (or in an agency working for Apple) has made a deliberate decision to position Apple's brand/image slightly differently. Instead of being an iconic brand, which happens to be American - it's now being pitched as an iconic American brand. Like a shiny, 21st century "Harley Davidson".

I don't know if "in California" vs "in USA" has anything to do with the anti-US sentiment, or opinions on US engineering (as opposed to Japanese/German etc.), I think it's just as likely taking pride in a strong & proud local state identity; plus it's saying the brand is American without having to scream it.

They've used the 'designed in California..." tagline for some time, but it seems it's being focused on much more now.

therfman

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
As a Canadian, I'm not certain that there is much relevance in the California reference. There has been a significant movement among the population here to support Canadian businesses, especially since the US started along its protectionist ways during the recession. So it find it odd that they ran this in a Toronto newspaper.

That being said, nobody designs computers in Canada on a large scale, so the point may be moot. But for most folks around here, it doesn't matter whether it's designed in California, Germany, Sweden or Australia. It's all money going to a foreign company.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Design by Apple in California by English, German, French, Chinese, Canadian, etc... and all those people working at Apple that are not from California...

Fixed for them.

That's how it works in the U.S. We have a high percentage of people here whose families have emigrated (some very recently) from other countries. It would actually be next to impossible to run a company comprised of people whose entire family history is native to the country. It's a given. You don't have to be pedantic about it.

So, what exactly is your point?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
In advertising, traditionally, the underdog is allowed to take shots at the competitors without looking petty or low-class. That's why I think Apple finally retired the Mac/PC ads. At one point, those and the switcher ads were perfectly fine but Apple's position as a dominant player in the tech world has made that kind of thing a little tacky.

How is Samsung the underdog in the mobile smartphone space?

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Don't really care

Anybody not aware that Apple designs their stuff in California is woefully out of touch with reality.

I don't really care where it was designed, but it seem to be increasingly important to know where it was built.

While Apple might be a large employer in Cupertino, they hardly have done anything to boost US economy and bringing more jobs back to the US. Considering the substantial profits margins they make on every device Apple can easily absorb the added cost of what it would take to assemble products "back home" rather then overseas. I mean there is no reason to increase the cost of a product when it makes $300 profit anyways just because it's built by Americans.

I don't know what Apple is really getting at with this campaign. Why start to change the name of iOS and OS X based on California stuff? Why the big love in for California all of a sudden?

Most likely this is simply to try and get the state government sympathetic to some policy/law Apple wants changed by being overt to how pro-California they are. Or maybe its just a dig to have American's stop buying foreign products made in Korea. The whole thing seems desperate and transparent.

But for the rest of the world, and most likely the rest of the US, they are simply saying "So what?" to the campaign.

Its not like anybody is going to go "Oh, its designed in California, well then that settles it, I'm buying an iPhone!". Since Steve Jobs I think most of Apple's ad campaigns have fallen flat. Another dud.

samuelles

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Does anyone have any ideas why the :apple: logo is not present in this campaign? I would have included it if they had asked me!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'm on the fence about this campaign

I find the television commercial to be veryheavy-handed, I understand where they are coming from. Not crazy about it though.

The print ad is fine.

^ Yes that does look like Rafa. He did a photo shoot very similiar to that in the past.

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
I don't get it. Who else would design Apple products but Apple? It's like saying "designed by Apple by designers at Apple who design things."

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Just wait until Samsung's new ads:

Designed by Samsung in South Korea

It's like Apple is daring them to copy that. Samsung doesn't want to remind Americans that their stuff is not only not made in America but not even designed here either. And all the money Americans pay for Samsung products goes back to Korea.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just wait until Samsung's new ads:

Designed by Samsung in South Korea

It's like Apple is daring them to copy that. Samsung doesn't want to remind Americans that their stuff is not only not made in America but not even designed here either. And all the money Americans pay for Samsung products goes back to Korea.

You really don't know how multinational corporations work, do you? I imagine you believe that Microsoft has a big vault in Redmond with all the money they make world-wide, too.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You really don't know how multinational corporations work, do you? I imagine you believe that Microsoft has a big vault in Redmond with all the money they make world-wide, too.

It would help if you actually learned how to read and comprehend what you are replying to.

Samsung doesn't want to remind Americans that their stuff is not only not made in America but not even designed here either. And all the money Americans pay for Samsung products goes back to Korea.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
new ad campaign

The new ads are Apple's desperate attempts to save face. They have nothing new to offer at this point in time. The iPhone 5s release is so "last Year" and the software is just being messed with by developers. All I read is how buggy it is and how unprofessional the icons look.:confused:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Anybody not aware that Apple designs their stuff in California is woefully out of touch with reality.

I don't really care where it was designed, but it seem to be increasingly important to know where it was built.

While Apple might be a large employer in Cupertino, they hardly have done anything to boost US economy and bringing more jobs back to the US. Considering the substantial profits margins they make on every device Apple can easily absorb the added cost of what it would take to assemble products "back home" rather then overseas. I mean there is no reason to increase the cost of a product when it makes $300 profit anyways just because it's built by Americans.

I don't know what Apple is really getting at with this campaign. Why start to change the name of iOS and OS X based on California stuff? Why the big love in for California all of a sudden?

Most likely this is simply to try and get the state government sympathetic to some policy/law Apple wants changed by being overt to how pro-California they are. Or maybe its just a dig to have American's stop buying foreign products made in Korea. The whole thing seems desperate and transparent.

But for the rest of the world, and most likely the rest of the US, they are simply saying "So what?" to the campaign.

Its not like anybody is going to go "Oh, its designed in California, well then that settles it, I'm buying an iPhone!". Since Steve Jobs I think most of Apple's ad campaigns have fallen flat. Another dud.
No I think most people are saying "so what" to Apple's products being assembled in China. Just like they say "so what" to every other American company that assembles their products in other countries. Most people don't care.

reeve

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Southern California
The new ads are Apple's desperate attempts to save face. They have nothing new to offer at this point in time. The iPhone 5s release is so "last Year" and the software is just being messed with by developers. All I read is how buggy it is and how unprofessional the icons look.:confused:

Someone who is cynical about Apple is posting a cynical comment about the iPhone 5s and iOS 7 BEFORE both have been released to the public? What a shocker.

Last edited:

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Whether you like Apple or not you have to admit that the Apple brand is powerful. People only need a small glimpse of the white earphones and they know it's Apple.

Yes is powerfull, but I have the feeling they are "surfing a wave" of what they used to be.

it is just me.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
classy, superlative, innovating. this concept is outstanding. it's the best thing made by apple since apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.