Apple Continues to Dominate U.S. Online Video Purchase and Rental Markets

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

NPD today released a new report highlighting the U.S. online digital video market for 2012, finding that Apple continues to dominate both purchases and rentals.

In looking at purchased content, Apple holds a commanding 67% of the TV show market and 65% of the movie market, with its closest competitors Xbox Video and Amazon each holding roughly 10% of the market.

[​IMG]
    While the competition is tighter in the rental market, Apple still holds a solid lead with 45% of the market for digital movie rentals, with Amazon taking second place at 18%.

[​IMG]
    Notably, NPD's study does not include subscription services such as Netflix and on-demand content from cable providers. Previous studies including those types of content have found Apple's market share shrinking to roughly 5% in the face of Netflix's overwhelming strength.

Article Link: Apple Continues to Dominate U.S. Online Video Purchase and Rental Markets

2. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

What I would like to see is Apple dominating even more in the iOS department. Bring out the newer/better iOS! :)

3. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

M-O

If they aren't 100%, they might as well be 0%.
    -Wall Street

4. macrumors 6502

iTunes + Mac = Seamless, beautiful and lightning fast.
    iTunes + Windows = Ugly, complex and painfully slow.

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 68000

itunes needs to be split into two, one for media organization alone and the second the store which combines mac, iOS, music, books etc all into one store. Purchases jump from one to the other but taking out the store from iTunes gets rid of the clunkiness.

7. macrumors 65816

Previous studies including those types of content have found Apple's market share shrinking to roughly 5% in the face of Netflix's overwhelming strength.

-------------------

damn...Netflix must be huge. $4 billion a year?

8. macrumors member

stanton

29.17 Million Subscribers and my guess is if they can get some footing in India and China, the numbers will soar.

9. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

I'm curious as to what Apple would be at if just Netflix was added but I suppose that would leave out Hulu, etc.

Unless Hulu falls under other, which I doubt but I'm only guessing here.

10. macrumors regular

Nebulance

yeah, I still use Netflix for my movie and TV rentals. I do find Amazon to be useful though with the cloud player -- and it's great when you buy a movie from them on blu-ray, and it appears there in the cloud too.

11. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Is that not what iTunes 11 does already with the "Store <-> Library" button? Unless you mean make it into a separate app entirely. I'm not entirely sure what this would accomplish, unless I'm missing something.

12. macrumors regular

Haven't spent any additional money since I got my Netflix subscription over a year ago.

13. macrumors 68040

D.T.

So Apple has ~45% for rentals not factoring in Netflix and cable VOD, then it falls to 5%, but I assume there's no other [download] services to compare vs. purchasing, so they'd retain their 65-67%. I wonder what kind of revenue that represents and how it stacks up vs. physical media sales[?]

I'm actually a little surprised at how competitive MS/XBox is vs. Amazon.

14. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

15. macrumors 6502

512ke

Amazon has original content. Netflix has original shows. That's what has made Netflix grow by two million streaming subscribers recently. I predict Apple wont keep up in this area since they don't give consumers a compelling reason to choose their service over rivals. Content is king where eyeballs are concerned.

16. macrumors 65816

I think Apple should switch to on-demand pretty fast or this is a dead end. On-demand is the future.

17. macrumors regular

if only iTunes wasn't a huge pile of garbage on Windows those numbers would be even better

18. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

In-Theatre Rentals

Apple TV needs to offer In-Theatre rentals of all major motion pictures.

I would set it up where they became available the week or two after opening weekend at a price point of around $40-$50 to rent for a 24 hour period.

Being a married man with a 5 year old, it is tough to get out to the movies to see the blockbusters especially in the summer time with numerous movies coming out week after week.

You figure that by the time my wife and I pay for a babysitter, 2 movie tickets, soda and popcorn we have already dropped ~$60-$80 for the night. Paying even $50 for a rental still saves us money, we are not on any time tables and we can watch the movies from home without having to deal with people's rude behaviors.

19. macrumors 604

Couldn't disagree more. While I like the new iTunes, and it's a bit faster, it's still way too bloated and slow for what it does.

Add in iTunes match and that multiplies the problems by ten. Wasn't this Apple's core business at one point? Why can't they get something as simple as a music player right?

20. macrumors regular

is this slide suppose to make me ignore NETFLIX surging business ?

who "buys" digital content anyway??

stream or gtfo :D

21. macrumors 603

how do you stream a Pixar movie? where do you stream it from?

22. macrumors 68000

iGrip

In other news, dirt is overwhelmingly the food of choice if one does not include supermarket and restaurant offerings in the study...

23. macrumors member

I absolutely love this idea. I dont know why I have never heard this before but it would be perfect. They could even charge $60-70 and it would be a good deal. Bringing a family of 4 to the movies could cost easily more than that after popcorn and drinks. After apple takes their 30% it has to be about equal to what the movie maker gets after the theater takes its cut. The only problem I can see is how to you prevent somebody from throwing a movie party and showing it to 50 of their closest friends. But I do like the concept.

24. iGrip, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013

macrumors 68000

iGrip

Everyone loves a winner! (Especially when the winner really has less than 5% of the relevant market).

25. macrumors 65816

slffl

If content is king then Netflix and Amazon Prime video would be dead!!! Those services have the most pathetic content of any video service! They are the wal-mart bargain bin of streaming video.

If content was king, then HBO Go and Hulu would have the most subscribers (maybe they do, who knows).

----------

Couldn't disagree more. iTunes and iTunes Match have been perfect and seamless for me. Why can only Apple even come close to creating something like iTunes?