Apple Copying Expose from MS??? Yeah, Right..

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ryan1524, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

this is an abomination...

http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=40367

wtf??? they not only copy apple but claim that they invent them first??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

you didn't know that? apple copied the ideas for a GUI, colorsync, metadata, and quartz from microsoft. you see, microsoft had the idea for a GUI in 1911, they were just afraid to do a tech demo.

3. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

4. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

now that's funny! Apple copies a technology that Microsoft wont have until 2005. I love microsoft and their bullplop propaganda machine.

5. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

sad thing is, many will actually believe this bullcrap..:( :rolleyes:

6. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

It's very similar to Intel pushing their "new" wireless technology in laptops when apple has had Airport for years.... Well, I guess I shouldn't yell and scream too much. After all, how could we truly appreciate Apple if we didn't have the other end of the spectrum...

7. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Expose-like??? For years??? Are they joking? What are those people talking about?
    Tell me ONE, just ONE possibility to QUICKLY take a look at the desktop in Windows, if you have multiple programs open. You can´t. You need to minimize all of them.

A joke.

ABOMINATION

We should visit them and beat the heck outta them... :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes Apple copied the Windows 1.0 UI, and continued this trend of copying Microsoft's GUI right up to Windows XP. :rolleyes:

Sort of sucks that MicroSoft can't claim complete piracy of it's operating system functionality, because Apple forgot to implement the virus vulnerability and the required MS instability into OS X.

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Microsoft should go into stand up comedy!

P-Worm

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't Exposé directly related to the patented work done for Copland, the original Mac OS 8?

I think there are a few things copied that were in Windows, but they were already in OS/2 or various applications before MS was using them.

The contextual menus and chiseled steel look were both Borland work far before MS (or IBM or Apple) deemed them theirs.

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I hate Apple! Why are they always copying things from other people?!

I mean, they can't even do it right, either! Jeez, if you're going to copy an operating system, at least make it more stable. I mean, with all the viruses plaguing OS X,...

Oh wait. Never mind.

13. Dominatus macrumors newbie

Ummm...no. Windows Key + D will minimize all of the windows. Windows Key + D again will then restore them. That's been in Windows for years.

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Windows has had a 'show desktop' button on the toolbar since atleast Windows 95.

15. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Well, that's 1/3 of exposé, but even then, I don't think the windows all restore to their original positions, but I could be wrong.

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Yes it does.

BTW i didnt know abotu win+D, that is a great tip! Reminds me of the day I learned alt+tab :p

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this guy is like the ann coulter of the mac world. unattractive, unintelligent, and remarkably good at ignoring the truth. i am embarrassed for the magazine that has him as a news editor.

the only evidence he gives (this is in the comments section) about this expose-technology-demoed-for-years, is a vague reference to some booth earlier this year. ignoring the fact that we just went from several years to less than a year in one breath, there's no mention of what was AT this booth, perhaps pictures or articles would help me believe the BS that this guy spins.

i'd write him a bitchy letter but what's the point... if he was creative enough to lie, then change the lies to cover for it, he's not exactly in line to make corrections :)

pnw

18. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Yes, writing to him is a good idea.
    Let's flood him with hate mail, but make it with nice arguments.

This Windows world is so disgusting I don't understand how people can stand that.
    Entire page about that Windows .NET magazine is filled with patches and security issues...

19. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

well, the guy only said that they were demonstrating Expose like technology for years, not that it was implemented in windows. I hadn't heard about it, but maybe it was demoed at some tech/dev shows...

But then, as we all know, it is not about having the technology, it is about knowing what to do with it...and using it.

p.s: can't wait to see what insanely great super-secret innovations longhorn will feature in 2005:rolleyes:

20. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Perhaps a clock that works?

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

ROFL!!! :D

22. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What I don't understand is why Microsoft is claiming that a smaller company would have a faster product turn around. I would think that if a company has slow product turn around it either have poor management, or is too damn bloated to get products out the door in a timely fashion and needs to be broken apart. Either way Microsoft is leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I hate to be picky, since we are talking about Windows after all, but pressing Win+D doesn't minimise anything. It brings the desktop over the top of everything else. And occasionally you can "lose" a window by doing that, if it doesn't have a taskbar button, and doesn't respond to Alt+Tab.

Win+M, on the other hand, minimises all windows. But some can't be minimised, and therefore stay open. How's that for consistency? :rolleyes:

24. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Nermal, that reminds me of when my Wintel toting buddy was struggling with his laptop behaving sluggishly, and I asked him why he put up with inferior software on a brand new laptop. He said, "Well, that's just the way things are." And I was so confused that I couldn't even respond with so much as a "Huh?"

25. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

That's just plain wrong.
    The show deskop or Win+D is now where close to Exposé. It's just show youe desktop without any opened windows. It's like hide all windows.