Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The BBC reports that the Apple Corps have lost their lawsuit against Apple Computer. Mr Justice Edward Mann, the presiding judge on the case, ruled that Apple Computer used its Apple logo in association with its store and not the music itself, and was therefore not in breach of trademark agreements made in previous decades.

Mr Justice Mann ruled iTunes was "a form of electronic shop" and not involved in creating music.

"I conclude that the use of the apple logo ... does not suggest a relevant connection with the creative work," he wrote in his judgment.

According to the BBC, Apple Corps is planning to appeal the case.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
This is great news for Apple (obviously).

And, for my money, quite unexpected.

I thought Apple Corps were sure to win.

It seems they lost on quite a technical point.

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Outstanding, but Apple Corpse (and that spelling is intentional) obviously will drag this out in the appeals process unless Apple Computer comes up with $$$ to make the former go away. Which is all Apple Corpse probably ever wanted anyway.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Apple Corpse has run out of ways to re-release the Beatle's recordings and is therefore in desperate need of revenue.

Goliath

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2004
This is a good thing- Apple corps. have recieved millions in the past for the use of 'Apple'. They have had more than their fair share of reparations for the use of the term Apple in relation to music

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I think this could be both good and bad news. Good news for obvious reasons, bad news as it may delay the Beatles back catalogue entering the iTMS. If indeed all that was requested was a removal of the Apple logo from the store, I can't see it having changed the store itself much.

Since they are going to appeal, I wouldn't expect any Apple Corps related music to appear on there for some time yet.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
SPUY767 said:
Apple Corpse has run out of ways to re-release the Beatle's recordings and is therefore in desperate need of revenue.

Why don't Apple Corpse re-release the Beatles back catalogue on iTunes.:rolleyes: :eek:

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Another way to look at the lawsuit?

We've been hearing for a while that Apple (the Beatles' music company) has been remastering the Beatles' catalogue in order to make it available on iTunes. Is it possible that this lawsuit helps clear the way by eliminating any possible future legal claims between Apple Corp. and Apple Inc.?

Has anyone heard of an appeal being filed by Apple Corp.? If not, I would wonder how "adversarial" the lawsuit really was.

Edit: My bad. I see there is an appeal. Man, I hope that doesn't mean we have to wait for the appeals process to see Beatles songs on iTunes/

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
I think the 91' agreement allowed the Mac(Apple) to play and manipulate or edit music if I recall... but not create music. So, the ipod and itunes so, guess this fell through the cracks. I guess we won't be seeing ikaraoke from Apple anytime soon. Apple Corps will be sure to find a judget that doesn't own and ipod next time... since they all have a bit of that kool-aid in them now.

intlplby

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
that's not true...... they could license the Dr. Ebbett's Sound Studio discs (DESS) and release them..... truly great mastering

they should also release the Abbey Road Black Triangle disc from Japan again and the Canadian Disque Americ Help and Rubber Soal discs. The Sgt Pepper's UHQR is a good find too as is the stereo German Metal Master of the White Album.

there's a bunch more, but these are the best masterings of the Beatles and most people have never heard them..... they sound much better than the typical releases.... some are bootlegs some are official discs..... for example the DESS ones are bootleg masterings from virgin vinyl.... the disque americ were accidental production of the original stereo masters and were quickly stopped

forget any itunes remastering, get the above remasterings that i mentioned.

Applespider

macrumors G4
SPUY767 said:

No... they're involved in a new Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas which is Beatle-themed and which they're expected to make a great deal of dosh from.

I really don't think there's much danger of Apple computers getting any benefit from a consumer thinking they are Apple Corps - if anything these days, Apple Corps would gain.

One thing I was curious about and which didn't seem to come up in the case was that Apple do 'create' music with their Live in London series where they record an artist's gig and make it exclusive to iTunes. But it is clear when you go back and check the iTMS, how often the Apple logo appears in iTunes or on iPods but how seldom in the Music Store itself which is obviously intentional

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Does Apple Corp. have to pay court expenses?
This was a total waste of time....... Just lawyers adding to their wealth.
Dear God, I hate Lawyers. Please send them all to hell. Please?

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
And now, for the coups de gras, Steve Jobs will buy the rights to the Beatles music library from cash-strapped Michael Jackson and feature Beatles music in every iPod commercial from now to infinity.

joesporleder

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas
Apples & Apples

I don't always buy into SJ's reality distortion field (unless it's something I just have to have! <grin>), but I do agree with his sentiments quoted in the story. I wish Apple Computer and Apple Corps could focus on a business agreement that is a winning situation for both. I remember reading on a Mac message board somewhere that Yoko Ono would be willing to sell out for $1 billion. Of the 4, sounds like John Lennon's estate might be the toughest holdout for Apple Computer to form a business agreement or buyout with Apple Corps.

Joe

The best part is, the beatles will have to pay for Apple's legal costs. I wish they'd adopt that system in the US. It would put a stop to all those frivilous law suits of ppl seeking fast money in out-of-court settlements, such as. "I'm suing you b/c I have color induced stress disorder and your front door is the wrong shade of blue. Give me 5 million dollars & I'll get better."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.