Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
jayb2000 said:
See that is good news and better news to me, I don't like the beatles :p
I know it would be more money for Apple, but if Yoko, Paul, and Ringo were uncermoniously dumped on a small island where they could live out the rest of their lives away from any recording studio or transportation, I would be happier.

If there is anything worse than Wings, Yoko singing or Ringo singing, I have not heard it yet.

Q. What would it take to reunite the Beatles?
A. 2 more bullets :D
Hope none of your friends or family ever get shot and people start making cracks about it.

Also, I don't care if you don't like the Beatles. I don't personally care for seeing them on iTunes myself. Some do though and I'm sure Apple would see increased sales on iTunes with the Beatles and that should lead to increased iPod sales. If you were in apple's position would you think, "Screw them, I don't like them anyway. They have tried to sue us many times and even if they are the biggest band in the world, they are overrated and I don't want them in our store" or "We've won, like I knew we would. Now we can try to get their catalogue in our store and increase sales. I don't like them, but others do and it would also put us even more on the map as being the one stop online store for music."

I would say from a business point of view, you always try to put personal feelings to one side when trying to strike deals that benefits your company in one way, short term or long. Think Apple-Microsoft 1998.

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
OH who cares you can hardly see the Apple logos on the iPods :eek:

I thought there would be a monetary judgment against Apple for damages but I had not done anything to learn about the case, this is pretty SMALL POTATOES :eek:

I guess if I was in SJ's shoes it would be hard to take the small logo on the iPods LIGHTLY but I would definitely see what the creative people can come up with as an alternative logo.

And I have thought for a LONG TIME that iPOD and other small EXPERIMENTAL devices should be in a CLEARLY separate division, and if they have modified branding -- NO BIG DEAL :D

YOU KNOW the Apple logo means, "Products for the rest of us !" -- VERY simple, VERY reliable, and easy to use.

Now they need an engineering logo, maybe an Apple with rivets at its edges, "Products for the engineer in us ALL !" -- Trendy, YOUNG, sometimes complex, WILD features, a few bugs, ALWAYS FUN :cool:

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
jacobj said:
This calls for a change of avatar
:D :D :D :D :D :D

142847690_9526efb197_o.png

That's hilarious ;)

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
BRLawyer said:
Take it easy, I am a lawyer too (but NOT American)...the biggest problem is in the U.S. with its frivolous lawsuit system that allows everyone to sue for nothing, without expecting any procedural punishment or reversal of legal fees...it's also a problem of mentality, since people in the U.S. are unable nowadays to admit their own mistakes or stupidity (just look at their government and the institutionalized lies)...their legal system is so market-driven that they just prefer to sue, it's much easier.

I remember seeing the following law firm outdoor when driving in Florida: "Fell off the stairs? Call us!"; such ad would be simply forbidden in Brazil for lack of ethics...

Brazil, Europe and most legal systems have little to do with that crap.

For the unbelievers out there, please check out http://www.stellaawards.com for a great showroom of oportunists in the U.S.

As an American lawyer (but not a trial lawyer - there are distinctions), allow me to shead little light on this point. We decided that the way to control the behavior of people was to expose them to lawsuits. If GM makes an awful car that explodes, they will be sued by those who are injured. Those parties will not only get back what they lost, the court will also award them additional (punitive) damages. While this does deter GM and encourage them not to make cars that blow up, it also encourages people to sue when, as the famous example, they spill hot coffee on themselves. In other countries, there is no concept of punitive damage. GM is encouraged to make good cars or the government will punish them in some way. Ours is a bad system, but its what we are stuck with since the trial lawyers have given too much money to the Democrats to ever make changes.

Sonofhaig said:
My Brother-In-Law is a lawyer who stole $12,000 of my money through legal mumbo jumbo. I'm entitled to my opinion!! As do you.... DON"T CALL ME AN IDIOT... I'm sure there a many on this board who feel the same as I do!!
Generalization? Indeed. I agree there. The sky can be many colors, but MOST of the time it's blue!!!!!!!!!!

Report him to yor state bar's ethics panel.

BRLawyer said:
I DO hope that you oust those warmongers and criminals from the government...they really crush any good perception we can have about U.S. nationals.

And all the Swiss are Nazi-sympathizers, interested only in finding ways to profit off the Holocost. How's that for a generalization?

Sorry for that outburst. I am just sometimes thrown by the hotile, let alone unappreciative, attitude of Europeans for U.S. contributions to the world. That's why I stay out of the political forums.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
The beatles have little or no relevance

I thought the joke about the two bullets reunion was quite good - we need a lot of jokes to make this unseemly greedy and stupid action by the Beatles mildly funny.

An amazing waste of time and energy, and now these idiots are going to appeal. They obviously have WAY too much cash from selling endless 're-mastered' versions of the same old crap.

Just retire Beatles, and paint watercolours on some island somewhere.

No-on EVER gets the Beatles and Apple Computers confused - one is a vibrant co., the other is some kind of grave-digging, dead pop-star, grab cash from anywhere bunch of hags.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
steve_hill4 said:
I know a lot of middle age consumers who are put off using iTunes because they can't find everything they want on there. I know this argument is pointless, but if people would buy it and buy iPods to play it on, it should be on there.
:confused: The iTunes has a better collection than just about every other store (digital or traditional) with the possible exception of Amazon. The last I heard, they have something like 3 million songs for sale.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Sonofhaig said:
Does Apple Corp. have to pay court expenses?
This was a total waste of time....... Just lawyers adding to their wealth.
Dear God, I hate Lawyers. Please send them all to hell. Please?

As a member of the legal profession, I have to respond to this. This was a standard case of contract interpretation but the issue was not entirely clear-cut. As a party to the contract, Apple Corps had every right to challenge Apple Computer over a perceived violation of the contract's terms.

This suit was not instigated by lawyers, but rather by the company itself. They asked their in-house counsel for an opinion as to whether or not litigation would be possible. Based on that opinion (and, presumably, their belief that Apple Computer was violating the terms of its agreement) they decided to move forward. In a situation like this, the attorneys are instructed by their client to file suit, not the other way around. At that point, it's the job of the litigating attorneys (who may come from a firm hired by the in-house counsel) to make the best legal arguments possible on behalf of the plaintiff company. Most of the time, it's a very honorable, thoughtful process that should lead to the correct legal result. Moreover, the attorneys were not suing to "add[] to their wealth." In-house counsel don't make that much money and it's unlikely that any of the attorneys involved were working on a contingency basis.

The system is far from perfect (although this case appeared to be quick, well-argued, and quite professional all the way around), but most attorneys care deeply about improving it and work tirelessly to that end. True, there are some bad apples who exploit the system, but it's almost inevitable that when a large group of people has access to a powerful tool, a few people will use the tool as a weapon. We have strong safeguards against such self-interested behavior, however, and the safeguards probably catch more than they miss.

Most lawyers I know are wonderful and very honest people who care about the health and integrity of the legal system. It's a profession I'm honored to be a part of.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
MrCrowbar said:
I agree. You'll be very thankful for a good lawyer once you're blamed for something you did't do (or something you did :p ).
There is a difference between criminal law and civil law, I think people are quite pissed off about some civil lawsuits.

Unlike some countries in Europe, even if you win a civil lawsuit against you in the US, the losing side does not compensate you for attorney fees. Even if you win, you lose. That encourages more lawsuits, as most corporations would settle a lawsuit if the price is not too high, rather than fight it. This is quite a burden on businesses and discourages them from entering certain fields. How is that good for everybody?

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
Foxer said:
As an American lawyer (but not a trial lawyer - there are distinctions), allow me to shead little light on this point. We decided that the way to control the behavior of people was to expose them to lawsuits. If GM makes an awful car that explodes, they will be sued by those who are injured. Those parties will not only get back what they lost, the court will also award them additional (punitive) damages. While this does deter GM and encourage them not to make cars that blow up, it also encourages people to sue when, as the famous example, they spill hot coffee on themselves. In other countries, there is no concept of punitive damage. GM is encouraged to make good cars or the government will punish them in some way. Ours is a bad system, but its what we are stuck with since the trial lawyers have given too much money to the Democrats to ever make changes.

Report him to yor state bar's ethics panel.

And all the Swiss are Nazi-sympathizers, interested only in finding ways to profit off the Holocost. How's that for a generalization?

Touche :eek:

And the rest of your statement acknowledges my growing suspicion that the Demonaristoratic party has become the party of criminals :mad:

Is there any way to change this :confused:

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
I just went to Apple's website and the front page says, "FREE MacBooks FOR EVERYBODY just as long as you buy a 3 year CONTRACT with our communications and support package :eek: :eek: :eek: "

WHAT DO YOU THINK :D :p ;)

jenkij

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2002
Next Apple Corpse sues Fiona Apple for putting an apple logo on the itunes music store.:D

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
dongmin said:
:confused: The iTunes has a better collection than just about every other store (digital or traditional) with the possible exception of Amazon. The last I heard, they have something like 3 million songs for sale.
But their selection mainly targets younger consumers. In order to get greater market share, they need to expand into back catalogues more. Where better to start than the biggest selling band of all time?

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
theBB said:
There is a difference between criminal law and civil law, I think people are quite pissed off about some civil lawsuits.

Unlike some countries in Europe, even if you win a civil lawsuit against you in the US, the losing side does not compensate you for attorney fees. Even if you win, you lose. That encourages more lawsuits, as most corporations would settle a lawsuit if the price is not too high, rather than fight it. This is quite a burden on businesses and discourages them from entering certain fields. How is that good for everybody?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both the American and British system of apportioning attorney's fees. It's important to keep in mind, though, that a system that errs too far in the direction of encouraging settlements over trials comes with economic costs that may ultimately be larger than the trials themselves.

First, litigants operating in loser-pays systems may have *more* incentive to file lawsuits (all else being equal) because risk-adverse parties will have greater incentive to settle. That fact, which is true only in certain types of cases, could undercut your point.

Second, and more importantly from a legal perspective, settlements don't create precedent. That imposes a huge systematic cost, as companies then have less information as to what behavior they can legally engage in. Under the British system, companies may not take all of the chances they could in the American system. Uncertainty, a necessary byproduct of the British system, is economically inefficient.

I have a few more, but just got a call I have to take, so I unfortunately must miss the end of this discussion.

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
steve_hill4 said:
But their selection mainly targets younger consumers. In order to get greater market share, they need to expand into back catalogues more. Where better to start than the biggest selling band of all time?

They also need to sell iPod with collections on them, like the Burl Ives Collection for people that are TOTALLY COMUPHOBIC :eek:

http://www.musicstack.com/tsearch/burl_ives/collection

Or these Timelife collections ...
http://www.timelife-europe.com/cgi-bin/tls.cgi?site=tecukcd02&c=uk

This way people can just walk into an Apple store and buy an iPod with music on it and never have to touch a computer if they don't want to :eek:

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
yac_moda said:
They also need to sell iPod with collections on them, like the Burl Ives Collection for people that are TOTALLY COMUPHOBIC :eek:

http://www.musicstack.com/tsearch/burl_ives/collection

Or these Timelife collections ...
http://www.timelife-europe.com/cgi-bin/tls.cgi?site=tecukcd02&c=uk

This way people can just walk into an Apple store and buy an iPod with music on it and never have to touch a computer if they don't want to :eek:
Hard to do this, but if there were more compilation options on iTunes, it would also help. In order to get a lot of those albums, you would have to buy each song seperately. Normal albums would cost a little less than buying every track for that album seperately.

Now if you could go to the iTMS and add xGB worth of music into your basket, then order the relevant iPod with it pre-loaded for a slight discount overall, this would win over even more technophobes. They could send a burnt disc with the protected audio on too, just in case of problems so they could take it to their local store and have it reloaded.

Not ideal, but for those who fear technology completely, it is an option Apple could investigate. This would again mean more music would be needed to allow the user to choose what they really wanted on there.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
bluebomberman said:
It wasn't obvious to me. I'm just an ignorant American. What's a prime minister?
Same as the first minister. Since in most European countries the ruling party/coalition has a heirarchy and those at the top are referred to as ministers, the one who has overall power over them is the first/prime minister. Some European countries have Presidents that have power over their Prime Ministers, some have elected Presidents with no political power, the UK has a pathetic royal family.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
steve_hill4 said:
Same as the first minister. Since in most European countries the ruling party/coalition has a heirarchy and those at the top are referred to as ministers, the one who has overall power over them is the first/prime minister. Some European countries have Presidents that have power over their Prime Ministers, some have elected Presidents with no political power, the UK has a pathetic royal family.

You just forgot to mention Parliamentarism... :rolleyes:

preston.lanier

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2006
Hahahahaha

Thats what you get!!! What the hell do you think was gonna happen. Greedy bitches!!! :D Long Live Apple Computer!

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
steve_hill4 said:
Hard to do this, but if there were more compilation options on iTunes, it would also help. In order to get a lot of those albums, you would have to buy each song seperately. Normal albums would cost a little less than buying every track for that album seperately.

Now if you could go to the iTMS and add xGB worth of music into your basket, then order the relevant iPod with it pre-loaded for a slight discount overall, this would win over even more technophobes. They could send a burnt disc with the protected audio on too, just in case of problems so they could take it to their local store and have it reloaded.

Not ideal, but for those who fear technology completely, it is an option Apple could investigate. This would again mean more music would be needed to allow the user to choose what they really wanted on there.

I think this is an important option especially as the market matures because for compuphobs this would be THE entry point, it MUST be a totally computer-less starting point.

Their point of view would be, well if I can't use a computer and iTunes at least I can still play all my favorite music that it came with AND NO ONE ELSE WILL BE THE WISER.

See many of these people, if not ALL, are narcissistic and their main goal would be to fool others into believing that they can use a computer :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.