Apple coupon - what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nina, Dec 11, 2004.

1. nina macrumors member

May 27, 2004
    Hey there!

I made my first purchase from the Apple online store the other day, and I just got an email with a $40 off a purchase of $399 or more coupon code (this is from

Those guys at Apple are really sneaky - this is mighty tempting! I ONLY have 14 days to use it, meaning I have to use it by Christmas Eve.

My question is, what would you guys buy? My first reaction was "new 20GB iPod", but I'm hesitant to do that, since my 2G 10GB iPod is still going strong, and perfect for my music collection (hovering around 8GB, with lots of stuff I don't listen to).

My next thought was an iPod mini, but with product updates literally around the corner, I'm wondering if it's such a good idea. Also, I'd have to buy another $90 of accessories to meet the $399 requirement (I'm buying from the Canadian Educational online store). But I REALLY like the mini's form factor. I convinced a friend of mine to buy one, and he loves it, but he has a similar-sized music collection and tells me it's a pain to decide which music to take and which to leave behind.

Any ideas? What would you guys do in my situation? I know how rarely Apple offers specials on their prices, which is why I'm really looking for a good reason to use this coupon before it expires.

Any suggestions or comments would be really appreciated!
  2. alanbuilds macrumors member

Jul 4, 2004
    Connecticut, USA

A gift of an additional 10% off the educational price is nice indeed, and unusual for Apple. Have fun! (Can anyone say: "Photo iPod"?)
    [Edit:YIKES!! Sorry, just checked Canadian prices . . . pick something else . . .]
  3. nina thread starter macrumors member

May 27, 2004
    Ugh, I know! That's why I'm looking so hard for something to use it on. I don't want to waste it, that's for sure!
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man there nothing else in the Apple Store you need? No software - maybe that Filemaker Pro you've always wanted, or that copy of TechTool Pro (just using those 2 as examples) you hope you'll never need but would glad to have if you ever did...or an external hard drive for extra storage and backing up your main computer. Sure, not as flashy and cool as a new pod or something but maybe an idea to think about....but if you are not going to use it, pass it on to someone that will (hey - I've been thiunking of buying a new iPod!...heheheh) .....oh yeah!
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Do you have a need for an external hard drive, extra memory, or some nice software? You should visit your local Apple Store or retail outlet and take a look around. This would be a good chance to pickup some miscellaneous items.
  6. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
  7. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    i reside in Canada, and I could really use that extra 40 CAD off any product along with EDU pricing.

It's christmas giving is better than receiving, and I am in need :(

Private Message me if you want to give it away to a fellow Canadian. :)