Apple Creating iMac-like Docking Station

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacHiavelli, Jan 3, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

2. macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

3. macrumors 68000

That is certainly a Different way of doing things. It must have a DVI Connector in there or something to allow the laptop to connect to the screen.

4. macrumors 6502a

That seems weird, I don't really see any point in it.

If the dock is a whole computer with an ability to dock a laptop, it's kinda weird because you can only use one of them at the same time. It's like having a desktop computer and then unplugging all peripherals and replugging them into your laptop - why would you do that on a regular basis? In my experience, dock users usually have powerful laptops and use them as primary systems and docks just provide them with easily available extensions.

On the other hand, if it's just a monitor, it's awkward because you can only use that single Apple display, they don't give you any choices.

I'd prefer they just release a regular dock - not having one is currently a major downside of their laptop range.

5. macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Yeah that look pretty interesting. But screen should have also possibility to work with other devices

6. macrumors 68020

Raid

The concept reminds me of the good 'ol Duo's, but the sketch is a little rough... I'm not sure if there's a big enough market for this, but I could see how some might find it useful.

7. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Let's chalk this one up next to the Folio. Is anyone going to really shell out a ton of money for a "companion product" like that?

8. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Creating iMac-like Docking Station

[​IMG]

A patent application submitted in 2006 and published for the first time today has revealed that Apple is working on a docking station for portable computers, the exterior of which closely resembles Apple's iMac line of desktop computers.

[​IMG]

Apple argues that its docking station concept is superior in that it requires less desk space due to its vertical orientation. It is also simpler, as the display is integrated and wireless network technologies will be employed for communication between the dock and the portable.

There has been some speculation around the internet that the patent could be tied to the rumored Apple ultra-portable. While the timing of the publication is interesting, the application itself remains generic in nature, and appears to be applicable to any notebook computer.

Raw Data: Patent Application #20080002350

Article Link

9. macrumors 68040

JFreak

I've waited for something like this for ages!

10. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I wonder if the dock will have an integrated LCD and the whole laptop just tucks in behind it, or if it will be an open area that a Mac tablet (with multi-touch?) would slide into, as kontheur mocked up:

[​IMG]

11. Editor emeritus

longofest

The dock includes a display

12. macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Let's hope that Apple works out the kinks... and makes it a little bit classier than the... uh...

[​IMG]

13. macrumors member

pffff --- this looks old/fake

if it is a concept, they have no reason to be that precise in their drawing (imac looking "dock", thick macbook, apple logos etc..) - just compare these drawings to the "sliding-icons-iphone" patent drawings that looks much more generic as any patent application should be (in my view).....
    Also it looks really similar to the old performa duo series and would not really need any "concept" patent as this one seems to be.

I am not impressed...

14. macrumors member

Why 2 displays if your "tablet Mac thing" already has one ???

15. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

16. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I think this is more for the mbp, mb, or rumored ultra-portable where the screen would not be available when closed and tucked away.

17. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe this idea (patent) is the modern day version of the Duo Dock.

18. macrumors 6502a

Slip

19. macrumors member

This would actually be cool. Inside the dock, there should be a huge hard drive to make up for the lack of one in the sub-notebook. Unfortunately, the patent doesn't read like this mock up.

20. macrumors regular

Agreed on the "two tablet"...why? I should be interesting if Apple does develop something like this in say...3-4 years...imho.

21. macrumors member

jakebot

That tablet mock-up looks SOOOOOOO Sexy.. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

mmmmm...

22. macrumors 65816

I don't know that such a design makes sense. Consider that a tablet would need to have all if not most of the innards required to be a fully functional computer. I've seen other patents that suggest Apple's design for a tablet would be the tablet docks to an armature like the L-curve one that holds up the Apple Cinema displays. In such a case, the tablet is the display face, rather than sliding into an empty case that serves little or no purpose other than to be a large unwieldy shell that does nothing on its own.

23. macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I highly doubt we'll see anything like this on January 15th.

24. macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Although that mockup is indeed sexy, it also scares the crap out of me. A 20" multi-touch tablet? What one earth would one use that for?

25. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

Lofty because that mockup would be a 24 inch HD tablet? We're talking 10 inches people, 12 tops, you would probably like to have a bigger desktop screen. And if that screen had it's own graphics card, hd and optical drive; then the solution becomes ever more svelte. I actually like it, and hope it is an option!
    Zip disk? No, it's a whole computer!