Apple Credit application issues (warning: lengthy rant)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mahashel, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mahashel macrumors 6502

May 5, 2005
    "the lab"
    Okay, so I am apparently a special case. However, it appears that there are some glaring holes in Apple's purchasing process for us rural-types. ;)
    Here's the scoop..
    I just bought a house 10 miles from the nearest town, so for now, I have no home internet access (I'm dyin', trust me).
    Using my cell phone, I called 800-MY-APPLE and proceeded to order 2 new iBooks (one for myself and my girlfriend). I don't have enough cash to buy both of them at once, so I attempt to obtain Apple Credit.
    The conversation went something like this:
    Rep: "Just log on to Apple's website and click on the link to apply for Apple Credit"
    Me: "I cannot do that. I have no internet at my location. What are my other options?"
    Rep: "You don't have a computer, sir?"
    Me: "I have 6 computers, but no internet."
    Rep: "Well, use your computer to go to the Apple website."
    Me: "I cannot do that. My computers cannot access the internet."
    Rep: "I thought you said you had a computer."
    Me: "Correct. I have computers, but no internet."
    ..I had nothing to say here.. I had to bite my tongue to prevent evil things..
    Rep: "If you can't get online, then you'll have to go to an Apple Store"
    (the nearest Apple store is 2+ hours away, traffic permitting)
    Me: "That's quite a trek for me.. Will the Apple Store be able to help me? Can I get credit and leave with my iBooks the same day?"
    Rep: "Absolutely. You need to go to an Apple store. They can help you."
    I hung up in disappointment, and looked up the Apple store. Called them, and determined that they had 2 new iBooks in stock, they could help me apply for credit, and I'd leave the same day with them.
    The next afternoon, we left immediately following work and battled rush hour traffic to make the Apple store before they closed. The place was busy. We finally flagged down a store employee and they set us up on a 2GHz G5 iMac (sweeet) to apply for credit. Upon entering our info and submitting the form, the page said that it would take a "couple days" for Juniper to process. ?????
    So we flagged down another employee and asked if this was normal, since we were assured by several people that this was a same-day shopping spree. The employee said the usual time for approval is 15 minutes or less.
    We waited 15 minutes.. 30 minutes.. No luck. We called Apple again and got told we were out of luck.. Called Juniper and were told we were out of luck. Bear in mind, this was not a credit denial.. they simply weren't going to process our request until a lot later.
    Needless to say, the 2 hour drive home was very.. VERY silent.
    So.. after that lengthy tale, my question is, HOW do I inform Apple of their obvious process holes?
    1) No internet= no Apple credit? People are applying to buy a computer... but they can't buy the computer unless they already have one?.. with internet? That's like a 'need a car vs need a job' endless loop.
    2)Apparently Juniper isn't in a big hurry to process applications, while Apple has no clue they're feeding people a line of bull regarding instant approval.
    ..or am I just the "Black Angel of Death"(tm) when it comes to buying Apple products? :cool:
  2. zeeko macrumors member

Jul 15, 2005
    call up jobs and bitch

(maybe he'll give you a free ipod mini)
  3. mahashel thread starter macrumors 6502

May 5, 2005
    "the lab"
    hehe.. that was actually a suggestion made by one of the Apple store employees. Those guys were hilarious, and made walking away empty-handed a *little* less painful. :D
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    He's on speed dial 1 for me.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Since you have a cell phone you should give Apple a call, but be sure to ask for a supervisor. Try to be calm and matter of fact. Simply explain to the supervisor exactly what you posted here. They should do something. IF not then send a message to Steve Jobs. I think that is at least one of them. I wish you every success.

Will be very interested to hear the result.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Too late now, but the low-impact option would have been for them to fax you a (gasp) paper application form (perhaps c/o your local Kinkos or Mail Boxes Etc. if you don't have landlines set up) that you could fill out, fax back for approval. Alternatively cybercafe online application before the 2 hour drive.

We run into issues confirming credit card addresses received late in the afternoon -- if the bank is in a different time zone and shut their customer service lines down at 5 PM, then we cannot ship orders until the next day when we've been able to get a response.
  7. kukheart macrumors regular

Aug 22, 2003
    I go through this all the time. It is ILLEGAL for apple or anyone else to do a credit check without your physical signature. Now there are laws that you can do them on-line b/c you have to give them certain information. I know this is a pain, believe me I'm in sales and have lost sales and commission money over it, but it's the LAW, not really Apple's fault.
  8. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    That story sucks. Perhaps its because I'm in a small country and 2 hours is pretty much unbelievable to go travelling. I'm told in the US though, some people average 1hr 30 mins in car to work! Manic.

Anyway, 2+ hours is like me popping to London, not going to happen! I can't believe you did it personally!

Oh well, I also feel for you as you didn't leave with your mac... and I know what it's like to get your hands on something, then get told you couldn't have it. When i got this PowerMac G5 it was DOA and first cancom refused to take it then Apple.. then long story and i got very mad and very upset, as a 17 yr old who had saved for a long time to get a machine and then had to wait 2 weeks after i first had it in my house before i could use it :(
  9. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I know! Europe was always so charming because you could get anywhere pretty quickly. Everything is so spread out in the US. I know people who make 90 minute commutes to work, and I always found it ridiculous. Of course, today I'm about 90 minutes east of San Francisco, and still two hours west of the nevada border! And that's the narrow path through California.

As for the OP, I know how frustrating that is! But if you're somewhere in the western US, your window for getting any sort of business done with a bank is pretty narrow. If you do it after 3 or 4pm, the earliest it gets processed is the next day. Time zones suck, what can I say? I hope you get the situation resolved!
  10. mahashel thread starter macrumors 6502

May 5, 2005
    "the lab"
    Two hours is quite a jaunt, but I'm a stubborn one. :D
    Besides.. if they get the approval done by this weekend, I'll head down there again and rain victory down upon my new Macs! Yeeeeah!
    ("rain victory"?? jeeeez.. +12 drama points, over here)
  11. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I personally feel that Apple as a company responds much faster and effectively (in regards to a problem) via email. Do you have the names of the people you spoke w/ at AppleCare? Names of the store employees who told you over the phone that it could be done?

Gather up the names, times, dates of the phone calls... Email (when you get the chance) the store manager and let him/her know your issues. Can't hurt ya. ;)

Oh yeah, and sorry, that is a pretty shi**y situation. :(