Apple Credit Card Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by almightyshoe, Dec 8, 2006.

1. almightyshoe macrumors regular

Question: If you apply for an Apple credit card while logged in as a student, does Apple reduce your maximum possible credit (Would you get a higher limit applying as under Education or just under the general Apple website)?

Also, any info on the credit lines you guys have been given by Apple would be appreciated. My friend applied 2 years ago and was given a $1500 line of credit while being $2000 in debt for a car accident. Then Apple recently amped it up to 5000, and he still hasn't paid off all of it.

2. kentrox99 macrumors member

I don't think the education store would affect your credit limit. I did it a while back and bought a powerbook from the education store. I was given $2,000.
    It wasnt actually a line of credit though. It was a Juniper Mastercard that can be used anywhere.

3. Neonguy macrumors 6502

I think it start out with a credit limit of $2,000. I apply and get that same amount. How most Credit Card work is based on your credit scored. If you use the Card and pay it off quickly it will get increased. Also, over time they bump up your credit line if you have good credit.

4. almightyshoe thread starter macrumors regular

But did you apply while logged into the educator site? There has to be something they use as a barometer for giving credit caps, because they extend up to 25000 (not that I'm shooting for that, just wondering).

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well firstly, Apple isn't in the business of extending credit to their customers. I believe they are partners with Juniper bank, which actually issues the credit to you. Like any other credit card, you are subject to approval and the issuing bank decides how much credit they'll extend to you based on your credit history/rating. Whether or not you're purchasing an Apple product through the education store is irrelevent.

6. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

sounds like a **** card to me. better off getting a card with flyer miles or some sort of payback. my wife is flying to japan this summer for free on citi premier pass points.

american express green is another good one.

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Not if you're actually trying to buy on credit, i.e, you don't actually have the money in hand for the item. Amex green is a CHARGE card, not a CREDIT card, so you're expected to pay the balance in full at the due date, and the fees are large if you don't.

8. Neonguy macrumors 6502

I don't know why anyone is interested in store consumer Credit Card. The APR is ridiculously high. For example I own a Best Buy Credit Card, I purchase a fews item from them ending me a balance of around $850. I have been paying the minimum balance and have never missed a single payment. I been paying for it for 2 - 3 years and I couldn't still pay it off. So I just pay the full balance and cancel the Credit Card. The APR of this consumer is ridiculously high, that you better off getting a low APR regular Credit Card. I did apply for the Apple Credit Card, but I never activate it.

9. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

That's why I like it. :eek:

10. Neonguy macrumors 6502

American Express is for rich people. Because they spend a lot and after they pay all of it back they earn free frequency miles for trip.

11. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i'm not rich by any definition, but i manage my finances. if i can't buy it, i save. then charge it with amex.

i'm not trying to talk smack, but buying things you can't afford and carrying a revolving balance for years sounds like the biggest legal con as far as i'm concerned.

12. dex22 macrumors regular

Just as a side note...

Juniper has recently been acquired by Barclays Bank - this is the British bank that supported aparthied in South Africa in the 70s and early 80s. Many people left the bank in protest.

I still won't do business with Barclays, and I'll be closing my account as soon as the balance is paid off.

13. almightyshoe thread starter macrumors regular

Well that generated a lot more interest than I thought it would. I was just trying to weigh the benefits of the "3 months same as cash" and the iTunes credit versus sticking with my current card. I don't think it's worth it.