Apple Credit Card

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Eniregnat, May 9, 2003.

1. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

What are your thoughts about an Apple badged credit card that provides points towards hardware and software?

• Why isn't there an “Apple” credit card?
      If there isn’t, would you be interested in a credit card that offered “points” towards Apple purchases?
      Would this fit Apples image? (They offer loans through a few different banks, i.e MBNA, why not a credit card?)
      Would this sully their image, or would it improve it via contact? (Clerk- Wow, an Apple card, I never saw that before.)
      Students- would you want a/an Apple Credit Card to be your first credit card?
    Post what ever you think about this idea.

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I'd rather they do something with Amex so that would give me more flexibility. For example, Dell has a great deal, I think it's something like $250 off when you buy a Dell computer, and I for get how many points it cost but it's one of the best bangs-for-the-buck that you can get on the Amex rewards program.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i like my discover card, it gives me money back each time, so it could go to apple or anything else i wanted.

iJon

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Toys R Us has a card with CitiBank (I think) which gives you 1 or 1.5 percent of your total purchases anywhere back to you in store credit, and if the charge took place at Toys R Us, you get double credit. Something like that for Apple would be great, since I don't get anything for my purchases as it is...

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I think charitable credit cards are much more worth while - then you can justify spending large amounts of money.

Had a credit card; maxed it, cut it off. Still paying off the debts :(

6. evil macrumors 6502

aesthetically a simple card displaying the apple logo would be quite nice.
    very minimalistic in design. like the current hardware stuff.

i would get it

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

REI has Visa. This sort of implementation can be done with any card. Personally I stick with Visa as I have never ever been anywhere that accepted credit cards and didn't accept Visa. Now MasterCard, AmEx, Discover, etc. is another story.

With REI if you purchase a non sale item from REI you get 10% back at the end of the year on each purchase. Everything else in the store or purchased anywhere else is 1%. I got rid of the REI Visa for one simple reason. The amount of money I got back at the end of the year did not make up for the higher interest rate the card carried over a year. With my capital one I have a fixed 8.75% and O% liability if it is ever stolen or someone online gets the number. I save more money on interest then I could ever make on percentage back gimmicks.

I do have to say if Apple had a card I would have to have it.

8. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Ok, all these people are talking about, oh, I use Visa, I use Disvore, I use American Express, blah blah blah. Do you think if there was an Apple branded credit card that Apple would be the actual credit provider? No. It's like the Shell creidt cards. Apple would set up with another company. So the Apple card would actuallly be from, say, Visa.

Sorry, just needed to point out that saying that you'd rather use a certain creditor it pointless because every company has about 5 cards that have different rewards and purposes. It's just that one of them would have an Apple card.

9. boskie macrumors regular

If there was an Apple branded Credit Card i Believe that the Creditors - at least if it was here in the UK - would be MBNA Europe Bank Limited, who currently deal with Apple financing over here.

As an example of a great financing option at the moment check here:

Put A Spring In Your Step

...which i'm taking advantage of next week for a TiBook:D

evil says:
    I agree, if it was similar to the AMEX Blue Card.

It would have to be a VISA card though...

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, I was the one that mentioned Amex, and Amex does not cobrand their credit cards. They don't want to dilute their brand name. I was merely pointing out that one way to offer a "rewards" program, rather than offering their own credit card, would be to link to Amex's reward program. I already mentioned how Dell does this, very effectively. Also some other stores give you double rewards when you shop from their store. So you could see Apple giving double Amex rewards for purchases on the Apple Store or the iTunes store. It only makes sense - both Apple and Amex strive to be "premium" brands.

11. Eniregnat thread starter macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Easy now. We are all thinking of badged/cobranded cards in this thread, at least that’s how I phrased my thread starter and that’s how I read the others posts. Personally, I don’t choose cards with points. I prefer low interest rates from the start, as I actually use my credit. There are people that do like points. Cash back, on most cards that offer it, is a tricky thing. They usually have thresholds before one reaches the maximum about of rebate.

One of the stupidest things I did was not get a credit card in college (the fist stupidest thing I did was not finish my degrees). It really impacted my life 5 years ago when I tried to buy a car, even with 75% down. I ended up with a 21% interest rate, and that was the best I could get with no credit history. Credit is a commodity and I was just curious as to what the board members thought about an Apple card. I don’t think that it would be a bad idea, and I think that it would help both Apple buyers and Apple.

12. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Even if Apple could manage itself and make a credit card, it would take ages for it to come to my country because Bilkom (the Turkish Distributor of Apple) is the slowest you can ever see...
    Can you imagine what, even the news and photos of the new iPod did NOT appear in Bilkom's website yet!...

13. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I don't have a credit cartd, nor desire one. Apple logo or no!

14. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Much the same as mine, but we tend to get stuff pretty quick.

And an apple credit card, it would'nt come here either, but it would be a nice thing to have.