Apple Cripples iPod Touch Calendar

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ksolano, Sep 10, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Holy cow, first they said yes, now they say no!?
    WTF?? can anyone give us any serious answers? will we be able to input data into the ical app?

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 601

gloss

Hack, hack, hack it, baby.

4. macrumors 65816

This is terrible, can't believe Apple would intentionally cripple the device like this. Now more than ever we'll have to rely on hackers to improve the functionality of the device, hopefully the hacks won't get wiped after each itunes update.

5. macrumors 6502a

i don't think this will be the case when it is released. I believe you will be able to add/edit contacts and calendars and for some reason i still think they'll add another app onto it.....possibly notes.

6. macrumors 65816

F*** it, they've changed it on the Australian Apple store too.

Can Apple cripple an advertised spec after receiving the orders? Do they have small print that says "specs may change without notice before shipping"?

I'm no expert but I believe that's illegal here, and is called bait and switch.

I ordered an iPod touch which can enter calendar events as advertised, so that's what I'm expecting. Oherwise I assume they have to cancel my order and ask me to resubmit a new order. I assume they at least have to let me know the specs have changed and ask if I want to keep the order intact.

7. macrumors 6502a

Wishful thinking, buddy. Why would Apple accidentally say you could edit the calendar, then have a rep tell folk on the Apple Discussions board that actually you can't, then change all the websites to reflect this, and then release the iPod Touch with the ability restored as well as another app that wasn't announced at all?

That's just daft. Apple are removing this ability and those apps like Mail and Notes specifically because they don't want us to use it as a PDA - they want us to buy an extortionate iPhone to do that... Here in the UK we don't even have the iPhone yet, although I expect a 3G 16GB model to launch in November - but it will cost waaaaaaay too much.

I'm getting a touch, enjoying it's cool interface and waiting till it gets hacked to pieces, myself. It won't take long. :)

8. macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

My guess is all these apps(and more) will soon be available for download on itunes. For some extra $ though.

9. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I am very shocked at Apple for doing this, if indeed it does end up being the cae. Personally I think apple will ship it with full features and eventually open it up allowing us to install apps as we please.
    Doesn't really affect me as I am going to use my touch for browsing web, Music and Video.....So my order is staying

ShadoW

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, here in the UK its also illegal to miss sel something. You cant advertise one thing, then sell you the item without that feature.
    Hopefully apple will be aware of this.

11. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i'm over it

12. macrumors 601

liketom

you ever been to PC World ? :rolleyes:

"yes sir this Fee Cee will play anything and be future proof;)"

:D

13. macrumors 6502

It's an iPod! It will have (initially atleast) just iPod based functionality. Thats all.

You have never been able to add events to the calendar on an iPod, so you can't with this either. It may come eventually, i expect apple will wait to see its impact on classic/nano iPod and iPhone sales.

Hell the wifi is only really there to allow you to buy choons on the move, adding safari was just a bonus.

14. macrumors 65816

What are they thinking? Do they honestly think I'm going to buy an iPhone instead just to be able to enter calendar events?

Not to mention the iPhone isn't even available here, for crying out loud. Or many places else.

Or when it is available, that I won't buy an iPhone because I already have an iPod that can enter calendar events? Is entering calendar events why I would pay extra for an iPhone over an iPod touch?

My thinking was that if the iPod touch serves me well in the near future, I will upgrade both it and my phone to an iPhone when I next replace my standard phone (if the iPhone is available). In other words, the iPod was a lead-in to the iPhone.

15. macrumors 65816

Exactly, there's no way they would've included wifi if it wasn't for the wifi music store.

Goddamn just leave the applications alone Apple! Without being able to edit th calender makes it seem ridiculous on such a nicely designed app.

edit- honestly, thanks to this and also the lack of Notes and Mail, I wouldn't buy a touch.. but I'm relying on hackers for this now.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

But the point is, You cant tell us one thing, let people buy the product. Then one weel later tell them customers, Sorry, we've changed our mind. Now u cant have that feature.
    That sucks!!! i know we bought the product with terms and condisions, which means apple covers themselves and a the right to change the product anytime prio to the release.. But still.. its very bad!!

17. macrumors 65816

But Apple advertised that the iPod touch can indeed do this.

18. macrumors 6502

That was probably just a marketing mix-up, if there anything like our guys there easily confused :rolleyes:

Don't expect anything over iPod features.. as it is just that.. an iPod.

19. macrumors regular

Wow Apple is turning into Microsoft. Why the hell wouldn't they allow people to edit a calender, if the the capability is there then why take it away. Whats next you can only go to pre-bookmarked sites on safari and they eliminate the keyboard function therefore one cant use google to search??? At first I was thinking maybe I won't hack the Touch, maybe I would just leave it be but now I am not sure I can do that, with no calender and no NOTES feature WTF.

All I know is I haven't pre-ordered this baby yet and I am reconsidering a purchase, maybe I will wait until hackers make it into a proper non crippled device.

20. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Uh oh. Here comes another open letter from Steve Jobs...
    Poor Steve. At least he is getting to use the new iWork suite.

21. macrumors 68040

totally agree..

and this is what differentiates the touch with the phone..

phone = productivity + entertainment
    touch = entertainment

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just cancelled an order for a 16gb touh until this is cleared up once and for all.

We ordered one with the intention of at leat being able to access and change calender / todo lits etc, and sync with ical & addressbook whilst on the move. It was intended to replace an old palm tungsten and nano in one device.

Don't need the phone and it's not available here regardless. so this is a set nback and were not blowing €400 for a 16gb ipod, if it's extra features are utterly crippled in such a manner.

23. macrumors 6502

It is a proper uncrippled device, its a one hell of an iPod music/video player, you seem to be getting it confused with a PDA. Don't go by the iPhone for its features, its an iPod.

It may well become a PDA in future, either legitmately (spelling might be off there!) or through hacks, but its an iPod at the top of iPod range with wifi, sexy touch interface and one hell of a screen.

24. macrumors 65816

So's the iPhone. On the front page of Apple's US website, the headline reads:

Meet the best iPods ever.

And below that headline are shown the five members of the current iPod family. On the far right, next to the iPod touch, is the iPhone.

So you can quote Apple directly - the iPhone is an iPod. The iPod touch is just one step down from the iPhone in terms of features, ie; lack of actual phone.

25. macrumors 6502

Fair do's. But there is clearly a line drawn between the touch and the phone, touch is an ipod through and through, im not sure why people suddenly expected it to inherit PDA functionality.

PDA functionality is somewhat required in a smartphone, so the iphone has it, the touch is clearly just an ipod and does not.