Apple CRT monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

What's the best CRT monitor made for Apple PoowerMac G5 computers? Viewsonic, Sony, NEC, etc.? I need the model number.

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Why, with the cheapness of the current LCD's (and some are cheap) would you want to go with old technology? There is nothing a good LCd screen can do, that is NOT better than a good LCD. I have a BENQ connected to my G4, and it works perfectly. The best thing with a LCD screen is the fact that LCD's don't refresh, so at the end of the day, no eyestrain. If it HAD to be a CRT, anything Sony is good.

3. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Well, some people just prefer the better brightness and contrast of a CRT. However, I second Sony as being a good choice. Samsungs are worth checking out too.

4. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

And Trinitron sounds so darn cool.

6. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I thought that LCD's had better brightness? Either way, color accuracy is the biggie for CRT's as well as lack of ghosting. If you're willing to put up with the huge weight and size of one that is.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I have a 21" trinitron. I'm very pleased with it. You can't go wrong with one of Sony's higher end CRT's.

Once thing CRT's offer that LCD's can't touch is resolution. While you could run insanely high-res on an LCD, it would put you in the poorhouse. Even a cheap CRT can give you a huge amount of pixel realestate.

8. dav macrumors 6502

Amen..

I am astounded with how low resolutions are on these LCDs

9. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Sony discontinued the Trinitron production. Hence, you won't be able to buy a new Trinitron display.

The best you can get at the moment is a SuperBright Flat DiamondTron tube by NEC/Mitsubishi. You'll find them on the latest models of different manufacturers (LaCie, Formac, NEC, NEC/Mitsubishi, etc.).

10. shavs macrumors newbie

Sony still make the tubes for Sun Microsystems CRTs, they go new on ebay for about 300 pounds and are worth every penny. Sony do still make the Sony Artisan CRTs.

11. Doraemon macrumors 6502

You´re right about the Artisan display. Seems to be available in the US only (at least it isn't in Europe). My bad.

Still, the DiamondTron are really good.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Not all LCD are equal. If he buys a cheap lcd and does work with video editing or gaming he would have made a bad descision because the CRT will out perform an el cheapo lcd any day even if it is "old" technology. Glass making is still very old technology; do you say we just use plastic for our windows and cups? everything has it application and place, even if it is old technology.