Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's introduction of a new stripped-down 16 GB iPod touch, Apple has also reduced pricing for educational customers on its 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro. The prices have been cut by $100 for both the low-end and high-end stock configurations, bringing pricing down to $999 and $1299 respectively. The new prices on both models are $200 below Apple's standard retail pricing.

macbook_pro_13_edu_may13.jpg
Education pricing on the non-Retina 15-inch model remains unchanged at $1699, while the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro continues to start at $1399 for education customers. The discounted education pricing is available to employees of K-12 schools as well as faculty, staff, students, and parents of students at higher education institutions.

(Thanks, James!)

Article Link: Apple Cuts Education Pricing on Non-Retina 13-Inch MacBook Pro, Now Starts at $999

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i bought 3 macbooks under the education program so far and not once did they ask for any prove or anything

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Hmm... it wouldn't surprise me if they stopped selling the cMBP after the WWDC, and started purely selling rMBP.

While I would choose a rMBP over a cMBP, I can see why people who value customisation would be annoyed about this!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
EDU discounts have gotten worse over the years, so this is nice to see.

i bought 3 macbooks under the education program so far and not once did they ask for any prove or anything

They dont check online, but they do at the Apple Store, at least in my experience.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
When did this happen? :eek:

Do you qualify for Education Pricing?
Apple offers special education pricing on Apple computers, software and select third party products to college students, parents buying for a college student, or teachers, homeschool teachers, administrators and staff of all grade levels. Students who have been accepted to college are also eligible.
Quantity limits apply. See terms and conditions.

>>>http://store.apple.com/us-hed/findyourschool

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
if a friend bought a 13" non-retina macbook pro literally yesterday, would they be able to just walk into the store and get that $100 refunded easily?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
For a second I read it as "13" Retina MacBook Pro".
:(

That may mean the discontinuation for the general public is coming shortly.

That's exactly what happened with the White MacBook, they discontinued it yet kept selling it for education at a reduced price to clear remaining stock, while they pushed the MBA as the new entry-level MacBook for the general public.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Clearing stock?

Or preparing to make it only available in the EDU channels like the eMac once was. I predict at WWDC Apple will make its entire retail line optical drive-less, including the next gen MacPro (esp. now that Adobe's pro s/w is online only and Apple's has been for some time.)

----------

if a friend bought a 13" non-retina macbook pro literally yesterday, would they be able to just walk into the store and get that $100 refunded easily?

If they bought it w/ EDU discount, or are EDU eligible, yes.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
EDU discounts have gotten worse over the years, so this is nice to see.

They dont check online, but they do at the Apple Store, at least in my experience.

what about in-store pick up after you paid for it online? Do they ask for your school ID?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

I don't think so since they are different SKUs, but if he bought it at an Apple store there's a 14-day no question asked return window without restocking fees, so he could just return his and buy this one instead.

Jakintosh™

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Damn, I was just about to buy a rMBP, but with these lower prices it gets even harder to justify... I guess I'll see what WWDC does to the rMBP and make my decision then :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.