Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Or trying to get their stock prices to go back up... So far it's climbing today.

I can't see how this would get the stock price up....media would spin it as Apple' laptop's not selling so they're forced to reduce prices, and reduced prices result in reduced margins.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Ha. Yes, lowering the educational price on their lowest spec notebook should really jack up their stock!

Stock went up today!! Must be bc of some pointless story on Macrumors!

:rolleyes:

You're laughing but people often really interpret Apple's stock like that.

It must be the new 16GB iPod touch!
No wait, it's because people are disappointed by the Galaxy S4 Mini.
Or maybe is it that new $999 13" cMBP for students!
Oh no, must be because Apple is said to order displays from Samsung again.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
This should be the price of the standard 13" MacBook for all, not just education buyers. Apple's prices between around 2005 to 2010 were quite reasonable, but they seem to have gradually crept up again. The Mac Mini which was originally conceived as a sort of "value" Mac, is now fairly pricey, though I guess that could have something to do with sterling weakening against the dollar.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
ur crazy to spend a grand on a ****ing display
Not just the display. The design, quality, MagSafe-connector & USB-Hub. I need a huge display and the 30" Dell alternative costs around the same but looks from the front worse than the back of the current TB display.

wanartit

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
after read this news I check at Apple Online Store Thailand, the Education price
still uncahnge :( anyone know apple discount for USA only or effective all Apple Store around the world.

p.s. sorry for my langauge, I'm from thailand

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
ur crazy to spend a grand on a ****ing display

You have to pay extra if you don't want a stupid 1080p low-res display. I cheaped out and bought a $75 LG display, and it's good enough for me, but I got what I paid for. No extra features or hub capabilities, low quality screen, and annoying notifications about how much CO2 I have prevented from escaping into the atmosphere (???).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Assuming the cMBP line even gets upgraded. That remains to be seen, notice how the 15" rMBP got a spec bump early this year yet the 15" cMBP didn't.

The 13" cMBP is Apple's best-selling machine. They won't abandon or get rid of it until they can sell a 13" retina at the cMBP's current price point. Maybe next year.

soooo the 11" Macbook Air is $949 and Macbook Pro 13" is $999
wow, i wonder who would actually go for the Air

The 11" Air has never been good from a price/performance standpoint. People get it because they want the diminutive size.

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
soooo the 11" Macbook Air is $949 and Macbook Pro 13" is $999
wow, i wonder who would actually go for the Air

The same people who went for it when it first came out and was massively overpriced :p

EDIT: Actually I forgot that the Air has an SSD, and the MBP does not. They really all should at this point.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
I don't know...

i wonder if the free ipod promo will ever come back for education customers.

I don't know but that sure was a sweet deal. I bought my iMac and got a free iPod Touch and a free printer. Sold the iPod and kept the printer as a spare (came in handy when lightning strike killed my other printer). Then a year later, I got a MacBook Pro with a free iPod and free printer. Sold the printer and kept the iPod. The really sweet part was that they ran out of the 16GB Gen2 they were supposed to be giving away and instead sent a 32GB Gen3 ! :eek:

toaster64

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
Smart? The refurb discounts are usually a better deal, and come with the same warranty. And don't require misrepresenting yourself to take advantage of.

Refurbished computers will not sell for as much when you want to upgrade, and you run the risk of getting a bad one. Also, can you get Applecare on them?

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
I don't know but that sure was a sweet deal. I bought my iMac and got a free iPod Touch and a free printer. Sold the iPod and kept the printer as a spare (came in handy when lightning strike killed my other printer). Then a year later, I got a MacBook Pro with a free iPod and free printer. Sold the printer and kept the iPod. The really sweet part was that they ran out of the 16GB Gen2 they were supposed to be giving away and instead sent a 32GB Gen3 ! :eek:

Yea man I wish they would bring that back. Free iPod touch and printer and education discount!!

Worth like 600 bucks lol

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
haha God knows that when I was in school there was no way I could afford a 1000$ laptop. must be nice to be rich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.