Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I don't understand how Apple always has issues with licensing. These other guys like Pandora have music they're letting people stream for dirt cheap, and no oddly restricted artists like Led Zeppelin (iTunes Radio has no Led Zeppelin).

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
People still download songs from iTunes? Mainly a streamer here.

If I want to buy music I'll usually go with the whole shabang and get the artwork and all, preferably limited vinyl with some character.

Yes. If I like a song playing on iTunes Match, I buy it.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Meh, I've always found even 90 seconds inadequate anyway since some of the songs I listen to can change radically over the whole song, I prefer to listen to a song elsewhere e.g. Youtube, spotify, etc. Before I consider getting it.

kojinshugi

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
I feel like this is in an early attempt to entice users to join Apple's streaming service, if and when they convert Beats Music to iMusic or whatever they need to call it. Previously, I'd admittedly just listen to a 90-second preview if I had to hear a certain track on my iPhone since I'm in between streaming services at the moment.

I think you're seriously overestimating the amount of users who have been content with 90 second sample clips as their streaming service.

You'd have to be some sort of financially ruined hardcore Apple fanatic who refused to just listen to that song on YouTube, or Spotify shuffle the album and wait for the song to come up.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
to those claiming that 90s covers 'one verse and one chorus', well it seems a narrow-minded view to me. sure if you listen to 3min pop songs exclusively... but what about (as an example) dance music tracks with 60s intros of just beats. is that enough to make up your mind that it's even the right version of the track? not for me, which is why i appreciated the longer previews.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I'm a Spotify Premium subscriber. Can't imagine ever going back to buying music - I listen to so much and so different music, that I could never purchase it all. Streaming is the absolute best solution for me, especially if I can save favorite tracks/playlists for offline. I gladly pay 7 euros per month for this.

Even if iTunes eventually offer proper streaming, I'm not going back. I have invested time in creating many personal playlists and I love that Spotify is not locked in a single platform.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
90 seconds is kind of long for a 'preview' anyway. That's almost half the length of most songs. How about they give all songs a 45 or 60-second preview and just leave it at that?

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
They could make them 2 minutes long and people would still need to buy the whole song to hear it, is this supposed to be security? Who's going to rip 90 seconds of a song

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
lol since when did DJs source from iTMS?

I didn't know there were a set of "rules" I had to follow when buying my performance music.
Can you please link that for me?

Now, if you're pretending that I don't know how to use DJ blogs for free music, that's fine, I hope you feel super smart, but when it comes to commercial music, I have no respect for DJs who "source" their music for free.

Last edited:

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
60 seconds would probably be best -- but anyone could hear a song in its duration on YouTube or somewhere else. Best is to get the CD and bring it in Apple lossless. You could then always convert it down to 256k AAC if you wanted.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have always found the preview to be a bit strange. You can go to youtube and other places to hear the song in its entirty. Never understood why Apple did not allow that. Essentially I have to go somewhere else to hear the song and then come back to iTunes to purchase the song. That is not Apple like to force me to go outside the walls. Now that its back to 90 seconds its better, but the problem remains even if less painful.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
I didn't know there were a set of "rules" I had to follow when buying my performance music.
Can you please link that for me?

Now, if you're pretending that I don't know how to use DJ blogs for free music, that's fine, I hope you feel super smart, but when it comes to commercial music, I have no respect for DJs who "source" their music for free.

Oh come on, there are a ton of reasons why a DJ sourcing from iTMS is problematic, it comes down to professional standards.

And I was in no way hinting that a DJ should pirate.

stevejobz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2014
Although i did like the fact that it was 90 seconds i think Apple has made a big mistake here. Now with Spotify, Pandora, and other services that are readily available it is going to be very hard to sell music to customers in the near future. The long preview was probably a better way to sell music to consumers.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
People still download songs from iTunes? Mainly a streamer here.

Yes. Yes they do.

Streaming is like renting a house. After paying all your monthlies, you still don't own anything in the end. And also, the landlord can find some excuse to kick you out on a whim.

----------

90 seconds is kind of long for a 'preview' anyway. That's almost half the length of most songs. How about they give all songs a 45 or 60-second preview and just leave it at that?

The Oscar Meyer Wiener song is only 14 seconds long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.