Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
One thing that people seem to be missing is that, even if true, this doesn't mean they're not going to have to buy a second mouse for their computers. This isn't what would ship standard. Especially because it's wireless-- this just means that when you do buy your second mouse you can pay Apple prices for it.

More than anything, I think this would be a statement that, yes potential switcher, Macs can use the second button-- don't be afraid. I'm always amazed by how these ideas get locked into the consciousness-- like the "iPod only works with Macs" thing that people just couldn't let go of. That might explain the "PC's and Macs" wording (is that really true?!).

I've really come to dig the one button mouse. I had the same "missing a finger" reaction someone else mentioned when I started using it, but now I'm much happier with it.

I can move the mouse from hand to hand without getting confused. I sometimes mouse with my right and sometimes with my left depending on whether I need to be accurate or need to write or just want to change.

Much less strain on my wrists because I don't need to keep pushing with a single finger.

The bluetooth one button mouse is textbook simple. Just a slug you can push.

Multibutton mice tend to lead to bizarre UI's. X11 is notorious for this-- everytime I open a new app I have to figure out what the buttons mean this time... Windows has mostly calmed down and relegated the right-click to context menus but there's still some rogue apps that come up.

I have to say the scroll wheel was an interesting addition, but I think this thread has convinced me that command-mouse or command-drag might be an even better way to do that and easier on my arms than manipulating that little wheel.

And what's up with the clicking scroll wheel?! Those used to drive me absolutely nuts trying to reliably scroll without clicking. Some are better than others, but I've had a couple that took way too much concentration.

I guess I could be happy with a one button mouse with a non-clicking scroll thingy on it.

I don't understand the drive for more and more buttons-- at least until it gets to where it can be used as a chord keyboard at which point it might become useful again. When I reach for my mouse, my second hand is still on the keyboard.

Maybe that's it... Strip off all these buttons and lasers and what-not and maybe you can go back to moving it with just one hand... ;)

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
The Scroll Wheel Solution

Aha - there we go!

Take the whole-mouse-is-a-button product. Add a solid state scroll wheel (edit - iPod style circle) that can be disabled in the preferences with a clickable button in the middle of the scroll wheel.

One button users can continue to use their entire hands to click the one button that is the mouse.

Two button users just click that center button and keep the scroll wheel active in the prefs.

Nice compromise to me!

tdewey

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Cool.

Wow. Cool. Now Apple just needs to put mobile GPUs that are less than a year-old in their new PB so WoW runs really, really fast with all graphic options at max and I'd be a happy customer....

/ducks

I don't know about porting to Intel though--I think you're either willing to use a Mac w/ MacOS or you're not. I don't think having MacOSX as an option is going to do much. The Linux people will stick with Linux and the Windows people will stick with Windows. Maybe somebody in Seattle or Sacramento might switch if it were available. Look at NeXT they got a couple of people to buy NeXTOS on Intel before they went bust.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Hogwash...

Seriously I don't understand the logic of of 1 button > 2+ button mice. A scroll wheel lets you not have to slouch forward and hit the up and down buttons, the right click button allows you not to have to lean up yet again or move your hand to hold CTRL and other buttons can be toggled for handy expose functions.

It just doesn't make sense other than a visual level of aesthetics why a 1-button mouse would be the better choice...unless you're technologically impaired, in which case you really should have just gotten a legal pad and some bic pens.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
So many have said that they would never give up their one button mouse, but you all know how we are. We'll see the new and beautifully designed 2 button mouse and fall in love immediately because we like all things Mac. We'll order one for ourselves, our mothers, our friends, etc. etc. I must agree with the majority though that the one button mouse is a key component of the simplicity of the Mac. Hopefully Apple will keep the one button mouse on all machines except maybe the Mini. That's my bit.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
iGary said:
Seriously, though...

Is this a move to pander to the Windows world?

I think it's more about applications than anything else. As Apple's market share numbers continue to rise, more applications are going to put importance on having a Mac version. Plus, Apple has positioned OSX/Mac as a platform that switchers/adders can migrate to seamlessly and without a lot of relearning.

The irony of course is Mac doing Windows doing Mac. Windows 95 was basically Microsoft's version of a Mac, and now Mac is taking leads (Office, iPod compatibility, 2-button mouse) from Windows.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Avicdar said:
Maybe a two button mouse with an iPod style touchwheel. To me that makes sense. I use my index finger for left mouse button actions, and take that finger off that button when I want to use my scroll wheel. I would do the same with an iPod style trackwheel. Who knows...maybe even a clickwheel.

So that would be...what? Six buttons plus scroll capabilities.

I know, it sounds a bit ugly. But if it can be done, Apple will surely try and blow us away with a mouse.
sorry, but im glad you don't work for apple. i may have misunderstood, but are you supposed to use the touch wheel with your palm? here is my crappy photoshopping:

Attachments

• applemouse.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 298

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
My first computer was a Mac. Heck all my computers have been Macs. I always read somewhere where someone was complaining about not getting a Mac because it only had a one button mouse.

Ridiculous. Ether learn the key strokes or ~gasp~ go buy a 20 dollar mouse of your choosing.

I had no problem with using the one button mouse but a few years ago this same topic came out and it got me thinking about having a scroll wheel. I really wanted one. I waited on Apple and they never did introduce one. I ended up going and getting a MS Intellimouse which had a bunch of buttons as well as a scroll.

Now I can't live without using all those extra buttons. I bought a Logitech MX1000 wireless and have the scroll/click set for Expose' and I'll have to say I never used it until I set up the mouse this way.

Hopefully if Apple does release a muti button mouse they still support the diehards that want to use a single. There's a place for both although I have to admit I'll never go back to a single.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
its just amazing how stuck up some people can be that they won't even try a two button mouse. and even if they had, and not liked it, they can still just use the left button. really pathetic. and for the person who said that they can't use a two button mouse b/c it is too hard, you are just not used to it. trust me. i have gotten into the habbit of being able to use my computer without both my keyboard and without my mouse as best as possible, and it is really handy, because i find it so much easier to just click a different button to get my hand away from whatever im doing just to hit the control key.

for the record, i am a professional power user who uses a kensington 3 button w/ scroll wheel.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Ooo - Ooo - Do Mine - Do Mine

virus1 said:
sorry, but im glad you don't work for apple. i may have misunderstood, but are you supposed to use the touch wheel with your palm? here is my crappy photoshopping:

Hey, Eric, can you do mine? Get rid of the two buttons at the top. Make the scroll whell smaller and move it up to the top (with the center button acting as the second button.)

:)

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
C'mon now, really...

I just switched to a Logitech MX Laser 1000, and I'm VERY happy. It has 8 buttons, and being the only laser mouse on the market, it's very accurate. It's rechargeable, it has vertical AND horizontal scrolling, page up, page down, browser forward, browser backwards, and application switcher buttons.

For what Apple will probably charge for a two button mouse, for about 20 dollars more, I can get 6 more buttons, and they're all user programmable.

What more can you ask for? Please don't tell me that you have to have ALL Apple peripherals. I mean, get real Apple doesn't even make printers anymore, so one is going to have to go through a PC-centric company such as HP et al.

What am I not seeing?

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
jsw said:
I think single button mice are great for the first two days of using OS X. They're also great for children under five years of age.

But I pray that this is correct, because it won't mean an automatic mouse purchase whenever I get a new desktop Mac, and it'll let me use an Apple mouse.

But anyone who thinks single button mice are even remotely as productive as multi-button scrolling mice (God, I hope the new one scrolls...) must use applications very different from the ones I use.

I agree.

All I can say about it is ITS ABOUT TIME.

I am so tired of having to replace the dang mouse as soon as I get a Mac it just makes me sick.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
A super idea for what this could be...!

I was mulling over this thread, then picked up my bluetooth-phone and changed the track playing on my PowerBook hooked up to my stereo (using Salling Clicker), when I suddenly had a thought...!

What if they combined remote-functionality with bluetooth mouse functionality.

This would be a blob like the current mouse with no visible buttons on it... Then very subtlety-lit areas, which lit up when appropriate. So you could have one-button mode where it would be the same as now, but react to touch... Two button where two areas are touch sensitive etc. etc. (this would also work with a touch-sensitive scroll wheel)...

But then you could have another mode for the device, that would dim the lights on the mouse-mode, and light up an iTunes of a Quicktime (etc.) icon and some Play/Pause/Stop/Forward/Backwards buttons that would light up when applicable... This would all be displayed on the front of the mouse...

Do you see what i mean? What do you think?

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY
I appear to be odd in that I don't have preference either way for single or multi button mouses. All I care about is that the new mouse include technologies from this Apple Patent (picture ). I've been waiting for the rotary dial mouse since the news that it was patented.

Edit: I forgot to mention what the patent was...

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
If Apple has decided that they want to start providing two-button mice, they've gotta do something unique. A regular old two-button mouse probably isn't gonna cut it.

My guess is they combine the one and two button mice. Sort of a two-button mouse in a single-button stealth mode. Perhaps a setting in the Preference Pane enables or disables the second button, and it's disabled by default. That would allow them to continue requiring one-button operation, while providing a built-in second button for those who can handle it. Physically, the mouse would look like it only has a single button, with some kind of typically-clever Apple solution for the second button.

I'd also assume there'd be some sort of scrolling device. Here, if they were smart, they'd integrate some sort of trackpad into the whole top of the mouse. That would allow them to continue with the whole "it's a plain, simple one-button mouse" look, while allowing greater functionality. I'm not a big fan of trackpad-scrolling mice (Logitech, I think, has one), but if anyone could pull it off it'd be Apple.

If I were Apple, that's what I'd do.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I just hope they don't put two buttons on the iBook and PowerBook trackpads. A laptop is where one button has the biggest advantage, though on a desktop it's good if you have left-handed people around or just like the better ergonomic situation.

Maybe they'll have both?

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
One button?

I'm with Detlev_73 and the Logitech laser 8 button mouse. I went from a one button to 8 and there is no looking back. I'm not sure if I could even go back to a two-button and scroll especially with expose now built in. I just can't imagine trying to manage a dozen windows and a half a dozen programs with one button. Although the command-tab is a god-send. To all those one button users: you really should give one of these things a try for a week. And while apple is working on it why don't they make a new keyboard for desktops like the beautiful keyboard on the powerbook. Hell, make it light up too.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
scotty321 said:
Anybody on this thread who says that they love their one-button mouse has NEVER, and I mean NEVER used a 2-button scrollwheel mouse.

I used a two button mouse with scroll wheel for a long time, and I don't miss it. Gunk gets between those two buttons, and they feel cheap (feels like you can pull up on them and snap them off). I love having the one-button mouse, and I don't like scroll wheels. I rarely have the need to right click.

Why does everyone think the scroll wheel is the greatest invention since the wheel? Is it that much harder to put the pointer over that blue thing over there to the right, press down, and drag it back and forth? (I found sitting there and moving my finger to turn the scroll wheel hurt my wrist).

Now, if you can get the screen/page to follow my eyes..then I will be impressed.

I think Apple should offer a 3 button mouse standard with PowerMacs and the one-button mouse with the iMac and eMac (and if you want to upgrade, you can pay $10).

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
New lyrics for a great song:

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
birds, snakes and two-button mice
Steve Jobs is very nice

it's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine)

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Windows has infiltrated..

I tend to think the whole two-button mouse issue shows how much Windows has infiltrated our thinking...even of the Mac faithful.

Once upon a time, Apple brought the mouse to the masses; it was one-button, and Apple said it was good.

For awhile, people were pleased by the one-button mouse until Bill G. took the GUI and required the two button mouse.

Now people think the two button mouse is a God-send.

Why did Bill G. have to put "hidden" crap in a right click menu?? Why?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
mac-er said:
I tend to think the whole two-button mouse issue shows how much Windows has infiltrated our thinking...even of the Mac faithful.

Once upon a time, Apple brought the mouse to the masses; it was one-button, and Apple said it was good.

For awhile, people were pleased by the one-button mouse until Bill G. took the GUI and required the two button mouse.

Now people think the two button mouse is a God-send.

Why did Bill G. have to put "hidden" crap in a right click menu?? Why?

Mac evangelism?

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
jsalzer said:
Hey, Eric, can you do mine? Get rid of the two buttons at the top. Make the scroll whell smaller and move it up to the top (with the center button acting as the second button.)

:)

what am i? taking requests? ok.. i made it iclick too because it was too boring w/out it

Attachments

• applemouse2.pdf
    76.3 KB · Views: 265

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I dont know about you guys, but 2 buttons isnt enough for me. My MX700 provides a total of 8 buttons and I can still use more :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Crazy glue your keyboard on top of your mouse, and you'll have a 102 button mouse. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.