Apple Debuts Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Quark, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Quark macrumors regular

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Whoah! That sounds sweet!

Too bad it's $US299.

I guess we've been spoilt with a whole range of free Apple software...

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

About bleedin time they came out with an OS X version of ANAT... I use that every day to remote control/assist client computers and would love to have the ability to do so under OS X. I just hope that the company that I work for goes ahead and picks up enough copies for us to use. Especially since, with that, we can then go to OS X while the clients stay in the 9.x's.

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well that article looked a little shady so i checked out the apple store and sure enough there it is:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

doesnt seem to be for sale for education though. :(

this is definitely a step in the right direction for apple. imagine you have a dual ghz machine in your office at work. with a high speed connection at home you could have all that power on your little ibook at home.

now if apple had a pda with this remote software and could tap into a wireless broadband connection you would have your dual ghz in the palm of your hand wherever you went!

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sounds a lot like Timbuktu.....

I think I'd rather have Apple's utility though....more because of the fact it's native....

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

OOOooh!!!

So what if you use this with one of those clustering programs?:eek: You could set up HUGE ARRAYS and RAID via TCP/IP!:eek: :D :cool:

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Timbuktu is huge compared to ANAT (one extension and one preference file on the client side is all that is needed for full functionality).

I would love to know what their new utility is like, on the client side since it doesn't matter too much what it is like on the admin side (mine :D).

It is nice when you have several floors to cover, in two buildings, and they are not all walk-across. We have that situation in the Boston site (glad I am not there).

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Timbuktu

well then maybe u can teach me how to use it! :p

esp when firewalls are involved...