Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a new campaign for the iPhone 5c on popular social blogging platform Tumblr, reports 9To5Mac. Featuring the tagline "Every color has a story", the campaign's page contains five videos each representing a different theme based on the combination of a certain iPhone 5c color and case. For instance, a video showing the yellow iPhone 5c and a black case displays a pattern mimicking concert lights, while another ad featuring the blue iPhone 5c and a white case imitates skaters on an ice rink.

5c_tumblr_ad-800x672.jpg
The page also appears to be showing up as a "Sponsored Post" for a number of Tumblr users, indicating that Apple paid to promote its content on the network. The campaign itself is notable as Apple has traditionally remained off of social media aside from its official iTunes Facebook page and official App Store Twitter profile.

Apple revealed in its Q1 2014 earnings call that it saw lower-than-expected sales of the iPhone 5c due to high sales of the iPhone 5s, with other reports suggesting that the 5s was outselling the 5c by a two-to-one margin. Shortly after the phones were introduced, Apple scaled back iPhone 5c production while ramping up iPhone 5s production to meet customer demand.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Ad Campaign for iPhone 5c on Tumblr

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Someone posted this in the iPhone forums yesterday. Glad to see they are actually from Apple. Would love to them them on TV or maybe as ads on YouTube.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Although I like the animations with the 'bubbles', once you see the actual product (the case that it) it looks terrible. How could they have ever designed something that ugly.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Although I like the animations with the 'bubbles', once you see the actual product (the case that it) it looks terrible. How could they have ever designed something that ugly.
I prefer the aesthetic and feel of the 5C over the 5 and 5S. Easy. But the official 5C case. Full ugh. That thing is terrible. Who did they think that'd appeal to?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I prefer the aesthetic and feel of the 5C over the 5 and 5S. Easy. But the official 5C case. Full ugh. That thing is terrible. Who did they think that'd appeal to?

Agreed; if the 5C had come in 64GB I would have been all over it, I love the design and feel, but alas, 32GB only, so a 5S for me!

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I love there adverts from apple. It makes me want to buy the 5c. I have the 5 at the moment.skate date and enjoy the show are the best ones I think. :)

Last edited:

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
i am disappointed that people won't even try out the 5c. it feels better in my hands than the 5s and it doesn´t need a case. my white 5c feels and looks incredible and premium. i bet that your expensive 5s is scratched and is hidden in an ugly, expensive, heavy, thick case. and it's not twice as fast even if u think so.

Bigdaddy.wq

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
I'm not surprised you see the 5c on campus. The colors are really geared to 'kids' than the professional who prefers a more muted appearance.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I haven't seen one in the wild yet. Only the 5S. The cost difference and the ugly colors are taking its toll on the 5c sales, not surprised.

My wife has the white 5C with the pink cover. My mom has the yellow 5C with the green cover. I am not crazy about either of those two combos. But they upgraded from the 3GS to the 5C. So in their case, it was a huge jump and improvement. And they love their phones. And I think that next year if they move it to the lower price tier, I think this will continue to increase in sales. Especially if they do as with the iPods and come out with new colors.

dakota747

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
Utah
I'm surprised that they are even advertising on tumblr. Anyone that uses tumblr knows that apple products are cool and "hipster". Here's a couple examples I found :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 151

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I haven't seen web videos released by Apple looking that compressed since the 1990s. It totally destroys the crispness of the vector art. But I can imagine the conversation at MAL:

Developer: "Here's the video. Each one plays in a lightbox so we can maintain the video quality without having long load times."

Art Director: "(long, dreaded pause) I think we have to go full-screen. I'm just not getting the emotional impact right now."

Developer: "Well the art will look really pixelated..."

Art Director: "Let's just try it and see. Because I can tell you the way it is right now won't be acceptable to Apple."

I'm not sure I quite get this campaign. I know it's targeted at the youth market who use tumblr, and that makes sense because the 5c is positioned that way, but these animations seem very abstract. I think they would've been better off creating some stuff for Vine, where short videos are the norm. Animated gifs are more the thing on tumblr.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Agreed.

It would help to introduce a few masculine colours. How about black or deep navy blue?

Masculine colours? lol

Colours mean different things to different cultures, and have even changed their meanings in the same cultures over the course of the years. You may consider pink or yellow to be feminine, but it's not like that world wide.

Introducing colours for the sake of more variety is a valid point, but the "masculine colour" thing is purely mental... Says quite a bit if you feel the colour of your phone, or any object you own, represents your sexuality/gender.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.