Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released another story in its current "Your Verse" ad campaign for the iPad Air that showcases the extraordinary use of the tablet in a variety of situations. This latest edition shows how mountaineers Adrian Ballinger and Emily Harrington have used the iPad when scaling some of the world's most renowned mountains.

mountaineering-your-verse.jpg

Ballinger and Harrington are shown using the iPad from base camp to summit, documenting their trip with photos and blog posts. Instead of waiting weeks to share their adventure, the pair used the iPad to provide expedition details as they happened. The iPad was also used for terrain mapping the terrain and route planning through treacherous mountain regions.
"Not long ago, they relied on outdated or inaccurate paper maps to inform their plan of attack. Sometimes maps of these areas didn't even exist. But now with iPad and the Gaia GPS topography app, they can see remote mountain regions in great detail."

"Five years ago, it was hard to even get a paper map of some of these places. Now with the iPad it's remarkable how much we can plan ahead," said Ballinger.
Mountain expeditions are only one of several stories highlighted by Apple. An earlier documentary shows how the iPad was used by biologist Michael Berumen to study underwater coral reefs, while other shorter profiles that encompass a variety of disciplines were summarized in the recent "Your Verse" ad. The "Your Verse" series is a continuation of the "Life on iPad" ad campaign that Apple kicked off last year.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Mountaineering 'Your Verse' iPad Story

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Interesting use case for iPad , taking human race to altogether new height :D
Sadly some people still think , its useless toy .....

Web page for this story contains nice clean use of animations and photos. Apple's website is truly benchmark for aesthetic web designing

Last edited:

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I wonder how they extend the battery life. Some extra battery packs? And how they protect the relatively fragile and not waterproof iPad? In its naked form it's definitely not suited for any active outdoor activities, let alone something extreme like mountain climbing.

And finally - is iPad size device REALLY necessary and convenient in this scenario? Wouldn't an iPhone be much better suited? You can do/see practically the same things, only it fits in your pocket (instead of your backpack) and you can also have a backup one with you and still have less volume used... :rolleyes:

----------

Apple does some pretty good web design. The best I've seen.

Yeah, the website is beautiful. I especially liked scroll animation at the "Only essentials come along" section.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple does some pretty good web design. The best I've seen.

Just need to fix the nav bar on top. The rest of Apple's site has updated design language but the gray nav bar still has an older, heavier design.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder how they extend the battery life. Some extra battery packs? And how they protect the relatively fragile and not waterproof iPad? In its naked form it's definitely not suited for any active outdoor activities, let alone something extreme like mountain climbing.

And finally - is iPad size device REALLY necessary and convenient in this scenario? Wouldn't an iPhone be much better suited? You can do/see practically the same things, only it fits in your pocket (instead of your backpack) and you can also have a backup one with you and still have less volume used... :rolleyes:

----------

Yeah, the website is beautiful. I especially liked scroll animation at the "Only essentials come along" section.
Yes the size would be perfect for this scenario. I know plenty of people that have had their idevices waterproofed or you can just use a case. Everything does not have to be debunked!

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Probably just me but I think it's silly to waste time sharing things to social networks while you're traveling. Also I wonder what network they're on that has that good of a connection up the mountains.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Apple products have nice sharp edges. While harmful for day-to-day use, they are great for self-arrest when you find yourself sliding down a slope.

dendowling

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
I wonder how they extend the battery life. Some extra battery packs?

And finally - is iPad size device REALLY necessary and convenient in this scenario? Wouldn't an iPhone be much better suited?

They bring an iPhone too and use a mini solar panel for charging. Much easier to read maps on iPad than iPhone.

----------

Also I wonder what network they're on that has that good of a connection up the mountains.

There is cell network service at Everest base camp.

And, the Gaia route mapping app they use along the entire route doesn't need an internet connection. Maps are downloaded ahead of time and GPS tracking is available anywhere.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I'm sure that's just a guide for best practice when using your iPad.

There must be plenty of people around the world who have used their iPad outside when it is bellow freezing in winter, including myself.

Well the iPad won't suddenly stop working but it probably voids the warranty since you're not using the ipad the correct way.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Well the iPad won't suddenly stop working but it probably voids the warranty since you're not using the ipad the correct way.

You're freezing it wrong! :mad:

Also, iPads supposedly are no good above 10,000 feet (~2.97Km). Guess the mountaineers broke that rule too! :eek:

Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

P.S. I wonder if the mountaineers looked like dorks when they used their iPad to take pictures???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.