Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
"But there's not enough RAM!"

says the engineer high atop of a wind turbine who longs for the days when he had to lug his 8 lb. Panasonic Toughbook to the top of the world to do his job.

:)

Depends on what he wants to do.

It's funny how practically since I've been here, I've talked about the awesome things a tablet could do. And just about every time, I get shot down with the niche argument. That's not what normal people do. Apple wants to target this group, not that group.

Then Apple releases an awesome commercial that shows exactly what I'm talking aobut, and suddenly everyone sees the potential.

I swear to god, you people make me want to be a cynic. :p

mentholiptus

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
This ad makes me want to buy an iPad (even though I already have one)

I suppose now is the time. I need a control surface for Logic Pro. I was considering a midi controller, but the Logic Remote app alone will replace the $500 cost of one. That justifies an iPad Air.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
This is a really awesome commercial. A little different than what's usually released, really epic. Also - GO KINGS GO!

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Really amazing ad, but sadly iPad is only capable of being useful on the couch or reading a book on the subway.

An engineer would rather have a Surface Pro2 in his hand when sharing network plans - a device which has the power to be useful than entertaining. Its unfortunate MS is too busy developing ads where business professionals are snapping the kickstand and dancing ontop of boardroom table. Idiots....full of cash...idiots, or maybe thats how Panos Pinay rolls.

Last edited:

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
these iPad ads keep showing these video-apps where someone films some doing something technically sophisticated (choreography, sumo wrestling), and then using the app to refine the technique by drawing angles on the screen.

Are these real apps? If so, could you point me to one of them?

Real Apps. Ubersense and Coaches Eye. Ubersense seems to be the most popular of the two although it's iOS only (Coaches Eye is both iOS and Android). I'm a figure skater and my coach uses Ubersense in our sessions a lot. It has an annoying orientation bug though which I wish they would fix. The drawing tools are cool but we mostly use it for the slow-mo playback / scrubbing tool. Much easier than using the build-in camera app.

jader201

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Well done ad, and you can tell by the comments here that it has done a good job at "selling" the product.

However, and maybe it's just me, but I don't know anybody that uses the iPad -- especially the non-mini -- like they show.

Take the iPad out and replace it with the iPhone, and you have something. But this seems to be pushing it for a full-size iPad.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
"But there's not enough RAM!"

says the engineer high atop of a wind turbine who longs for the days when he had to lug his 8 lb. Panasonic Toughbook to the top of the world to do his job.

:)
Percentage of iPads being used atop wind turbines: 0.001%
Percentage of iPads being used to browse without being able to have more than 2 tabs open without reloading: 99.999%

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just saw it during the San Francisco/Carolina game. I kept seeing the iPad, but thought it seemed different than most Apple commercials. It was kind of intense.. then it's like oh yeah iPad Air.

That feeling of 'oh yeah' might be a part of the point. The notion that it is simply part of our lives. Organic and fluid and just there. No more special than anything else.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
The thing I like about Apple's ads is that the pitch is about what you can do with the device rather than the device itself. Not very many tech companies do that.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Good ad, but the majority of the users don't use the iPad like that. So I prefer 'misunderstood' over this one.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Good ad, but the majority of the users don't use the iPad like that. So I prefer 'misunderstood' over this one.

Average consumers are already eating the iPad up. I think this ad is also trying to reel in the small/medium/large businesses, middle class workers, people who do "odd jobs" etc.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Call me crazy but I think having a product (the iPad) in the commercial cheapens it a little bit. You see a woman sketching a cathedral with her finger, really? A triangle is drawn on a sumo wrestler, really? Still love the ad btw.The approach is great, focusing on the individual, ourselves. Just like "think different".

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Depends on what he wants to do.

It's funny how practically since I've been here, I've talked about the awesome things a tablet could do. And just about every time, I get shot down with the niche argument. That's not what normal people do. Apple wants to target this group, not that group.

Then Apple releases an awesome commercial that shows exactly what I'm talking aobut, and suddenly everyone sees the potential.

I swear to god, you people make me want to be a cynic. :p

whoosh. :)

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
This reminds me of many of the Apple commercials of the late 80s/ early 90s that were involved and really well-done...been getting tired of all this teeny bopper stuff in the newer Apple ads and it's nice to see them focusing on more serious applications with their hardware in their ads.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Another ad where Apple doesn't mention any competition. I love it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.