Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Why oh why is Apple having so much trouble with Watch advertising? All ads have been huge failures. This is not like Apple. Apple has really been flopping and flailing recently. Could it be that they think they could do it all themselves in-house?

It's really simple. Show examples where people uniquely need the watch. Not people lounging around using it in an instance that any other gadget would be a better. Show people the unique instances where they would benefit from a hands free device. It's easy. This gadget is not that hard to sell.

Need? Benefit? Pssh, just make it pretty, charge a lot of money and market it to the fashion crowd. Thanks Obama Angela.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Again this "no purpose" nonsense?

From quickly locating the lost iPhone in the house to replying to messages and taking calls on the beach with the phone tucked away in the backpack, to a very accurate workout monitoring, to controlling Apple TV and bluetooth speakers volume, the Watch has RIGHT NOW so many unique real-life use cases it's hard to mention all.

Not to mention the future uses: Apple Pay will become the killer app for the device, and Watch OS 2.0 will bring many more potentially killer applications.

It's hard to believe people can't see these obvious use cases and future developement paths.

I agree with you, but I also think that there's no killer app at the moment. There are lot of nice-to-haves, but nothing that just screams must have. Most people don't see beyond what's immediately available.

Funkmaster Slamcrotch

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
Last week, HelloTel App was approved for the Apple Watch. I don't currently have an Apple Watch (thinking about it, though), but I use HelloTel App all the time when I travel. Has anyone tried this app on their watch? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Why oh why is Apple having so much trouble with Watch advertising? All ads have been huge failures. This is not like Apple. Apple has really been flopping and flailing recently. Could it be that they think they could do it all themselves in-house?

It's really simple. Show examples where people uniquely need the watch. Not people lounging around using it in an instance that any other gadget would be a better. Show people the unique instances where they would benefit from a hands free device. It's easy. This gadget is not that hard to sell.

Yes, "flopping", selling 240M Iphones in a year, completely wacking everyone else from the top end (92% of profits) and probably 15M watches sold by year end (I'd estimate 95% of profits) (similarly they got 75%+ of profits in PC'S and tablets+. You like your little narrative don't you; doesn't matter if its real or not! By the end of next year, they'll will have maimed Spotify and will "flop" some more...

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Music in Apple ads has really changed after Dr. Dre joined the company. It's often less emotional and more and more hip hop.

First, Are you kidding? Have you ever even watched a Beats commercial? It's all over the place musically.

Second, Dre has nothing to do with Apple Watch commercials.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
What Apple Watch are you using? I agree with the poster you quoted. These apps do suck. The whole watch experience sucks now. Maybe not in the future m, but right now yes.

Yes, it sucks for you; for you.... Good too know you have an opinion. Funny how it doesn'T seem to match satisfaction polls for the watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
MILLIONS of people wear watches. At least half of the people I see every day wear watches. It's not something that 'nobody' does.

I think for teenagers, there is no real reason for watches today. It's only there for the time, and they're all carrying around cell phones that they can use for that.

But when SMART watches offer more features, and replace cell phone functionality, you'll see people ditching their cell phones very quickly. People carrying cell phones around in the United States is a fad. It's only been going on since about 2009. Only 6 years. In another 10 years, it will be rare to see someone with a cell phone. We'll laugh at old movies with people pulling cell phones out of their pockets.

Everyone including Apple have moved to phones with larger screens because people are demanding a better user experience yet within 10 years everyone is going to try and do everything on a tiny watch? I highly doubt it. People are doing more and more with a smartphone because screens are now a useable size. Could you imagine trying to surf the web, watch video, fill out forms, order goods all on a tiny watch screen? I sure can't.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Everyone including Apple have moved to phones with larger screens because people are demanding a better user experience yet within 10 years everyone is going to try and do everything on a tiny watch? I highly doubt it. People are doing more and more with a smartphone because screens are now a useable size. Could you imagine trying to surf the web, watch video, fill out forms, order goods all on a tiny watch screen? I sure can't.
Respectfully, that isn't what the watch is for, just as an iPhone isn't for CAD programs.

The Watch, IMHO, is for things that require a 2-8 second interaction, rather than a 5-60 second interaction.

For example:
Start an exercise routine - Watch
Pay for stuff with Apple Pay - Watch/iPhone
Surf the Web - Phone/Computer
Check the time - Watch
Check stock quotes - Watch (as a complication) / Phone (if you want to see multiple stock quotes)
See calendar notifications - Watch (for time/place) / Phone (for meeting context)
Answer phone - Check who is calling on Watch, answer on phone/headset

It's interesting to see how I've changed my habits with the Watch. I too used to pull out the phone to check things, but as I have the watch, it's more convenient to do these things on the Watch.

Reactions: ErikGrim

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Short, confusing, and doesn't really pique my interest to want to find out more, which I assume is the point of these micro-ads.

The thing about making a YouTube video is that is they don't cost $50K+ to air them once nationally like a TV ad. Apple could take a a minute and go over a killer app or killer feature rather than just splashing useless screens for 15 seconds. I don't think Apple did itself any favors taking advertising in-house.

Sheesh I really liked them and I'm not even a fan of ads. Very summery and fun.

So it's all in the eye of the beholder. These don't cost much so doesn't matter much of some of them miss the traditional mark of bringing the consumer into the store. The mark for ads like this is to keep the brand alive and bright in the marketplace.... "We're here when you're ready!"

hpaulh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
It's sad that MacRumors couldn't figure out a way to require commentators to prove they actually own an Apple Watch before they're allowed to comment on this new thing. I'm enjoying my Apple Watch -- I use many apps everyday to streamline my actions. I haven't worn any watch since 1987, and now it's been every day since April -- the learning curve is over and using the thing has become smooth.

Reactions: ErikGrim

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Well, it just so happens not every one has a mad love affair with this marginally useful gadget like you do, and can look at it with a more critical eye.
Do you mean that you have and AW and have found it marginally useful? or do you mean you don't have one and believe that not having one you can be more critical of it? Because I don't believe that. If you don't think it useful and have no desire for one, that's fine. That's you. But that doesn't in any way give you a more "critical eye" than those of us who wear and use it daily. It just means you have a negative bias towards it rather than a positive bias. And, in fact, a LESS critical eye because you can't offer evidence from personal experience that your view is valid.

Of course, if you have one, then you can back up your assertion. I, for example, can back up my positive evaluation of the AW as incredibly useful (rather than marginally) by pointing out that I used to be late to appointments. I'm not any more, thanks to the watch. I used to forget things I needed to buy at stores. I don't, thanks to the watch. I used to miss calls and texts (important ones) because my phone was in my bag and I didn't hear it. I don't any more. I used to get stiff from sitting for long hours. I don't, thanks to the watch reminding me to stand. I get more exercise. I've lost weight...thanks to the watch.

So. Assuming you have a watch and know of what you speak...EXACTLY, what evidence do you have that your view is more clear (less bias), and more valid in regards to the usefulness of this watch than those of us who love it? What have you done/not been able to do with the AW that has proven to you it is only marginally useful? Because bias works both ways, and sometimes those who favor a thing are the ones with the critical eyes and valid opinions...not those determined to hate it.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Just because smart watches have smaller screens don't mean they always will.

hologram-iwatch-lock-pass.jpg

10 years is a long time. We'll might have holograms from watches that will solve the screen size issue. Maybe everyone has a watch and there are public terminals everywhere with large 17 inch screens. Touch your watch to them and it's your personal terminal for awhile. Or people carry around tablets and watches, no intermediary phones. There are lots of solutions if you open up your mind.

Large screen phones have only been available for, what, 3 or 4 years? They're still not perfect at all. They must be carried, they can break, they can get lost. A watch solves those issues.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Disagree completely. Theres a reason why the iphone 6 and 6+ flew off the shelves, because people want a BIGGER screen with them thats actually readable/usable.

A watch with its tiny screen, for that reason alone, is destined to be a 'nitch' product.

I guess a tablet/watch combo won't ever work? There's an even LARGER screen there.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I guess a tablet/watch combo won't ever work? There's an even LARGER screen there.

Wouldn't a phablet be more convenient then having to wear a watch and carry a tablet around? I love my iPad, but look how sales of it have stalled and are in decline. There are a few different reasons why, but with 5.5" phones becoming very popular I think a lot of people are just using a phone in place of having a phone and a tablet.

As far as using community terminals with a watch instead of having a smartphone... Carry a lot of anti-germ wipes with you. And holograms... great idea until you try and do anything outside.

I know your trying to support your idea that smartphones will go away in a few years and be replaced by watches only, but honestly I'm just not seeing it. I'm sure you feel my opinion is wrong, but we are all free to have one.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
If Google released android wear with those loading times everyone on here would be pissing themselves laughing at the pathetic performance of them and rightly so. Apple should have never released the OS like it is right now.

And I have said it from the start.

1: the UI doesn't look like anything they have been doing with the other operating systems they have made. Dark and neon colours with apps that look similar to pre iOS 7 themes. What happened to consistency?

Strangely, few on macrumors see the " f r a g m e n t a t i o n " of the Apple OS. Be curious if history repeats itself with MS and Windows 10.

BTW, I like these ads. More Apple like than the previous weird Japanese tourist giggling, exercise at night pregnancy ads. Looks like just simple, consumer friendly, lightweight applications in a pretty box - essentially the Apple value prop.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
So you guys think the pebble is the better option right now?

After the contemplating the iwatch and not pulling the trigger, I bought a basis peak. It's $200 and fantastic. It has 4 days battery, best sleep tracking, continuous heart monitoring, waterproof. It also light and passive. It just tracks crap an you don't have to "start" anything.

I was going to get an iwatch on launch, but between the battery (which effectively prevents sleep tracking) and not being waterproof, I thought I would wait until next-gen.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Respectfully, that isn't what the watch is for, just as an iPhone isn't for CAD programs.

The Watch, IMHO, is for things that require a 2-8 second interaction, rather than a 5-60 second interaction.

For example:
Start an exercise routine - Watch
Pay for stuff with Apple Pay - Watch/iPhone
Surf the Web - Phone/Computer
Check the time - Watch
Check stock quotes - Watch (as a complication) / Phone (if you want to see multiple stock quotes)
See calendar notifications - Watch (for time/place) / Phone (for meeting context)
Answer phone - Check who is calling on Watch, answer on phone/headset

It's interesting to see how I've changed my habits with the Watch. I too used to pull out the phone to check things, but as I have the watch, it's more convenient to do these things on the Watch.

I was replying to the person that said the watch will replace the phone in the next few years. You posted many good reasons why the watch will remain an accessory and not a main communications platform.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Still, for tourist travel, the current Apple Watch is really useful. I could wear a sweater or long sleeve shirt to hide the fact I was wearing anything of value (especially at night), and let the watch tap on my wrist to give my walking directions all over cities in Europe this summer.

I agree 1,000%. Far better to look like you know what you are doing, rather than have your phone out making it obvious you are a tourist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.