Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Better hope your battery never goes out, or the network, or the power at the store to power the device you send info to. You'll still need a wallet for I.D./DL.

Retina eye scan and a DNA prick.

----------

Personally, I'm not a fan at all of using NFC as a means for mobile payments. With as much consumer debt as people carry these days I would personally like to see us getting away from using methods that make it easier for people to pile up debt.

NFC does not equal credit. You can use it for prepaid options as well. Metro tap cards are one example.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
There is no way people can use this today because it does not have the security it will require at either the POS or while being carried in one's pocket.

How do Mastercard, Visa, Google and the Japanese people do it then ? :confused:

Maybe you're just ignorant of what is already out there using NFC technologies for payment. Apple better just stick to what exists, we don't need another VHS vs Beta, Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war in the mobile payment area. Why can't these things ever get ratified and standardised and launch with every vendor on-board ?

Always one to play lone wolf with a competing format, confusing the marketplace.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Just read another rumor, that claims it's highly unlikely that iPhone 5 will have the mobile payment system that Apple's working on.

If true, I'll be thrilled.

I have zero interest in it at this point, and would _avoid_ buying an iPhone with Apples implementation of NFC/MPS. I don't even need to know any of the specifics, it's simply a deal breaker for me.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. I was really surprised the US doesn't use this and still has the archaic magnetic strip and sign for method.

There is also swipe and pin. And even swipe and no pin for small things like a cup of coffee (if the company chooses to take the risk of a chargeback).

There are also some places like Starbucks where you can load a prepay account via a phone app and just 'swipe' a barcode in front of a little scanner at the register. I even get a discount on my soy milk substitution and my vanilla syrup etc. it isn't any more effort than tapping a chip etc

----------

. Heck, they often say "NO" only to turn around and do the opposite 1 year later. "People don't read books", "Web apps is the way to write iPhone software", "No one wants to watch video on a small screen device", etc... etc...

People do love to quote Apple out of context. And to forget that when they have said such things there was typically not tech even on the horizon to make any other choice. But then the tech changed and Apple changed with it.

Doing it that way, instead of using current and less capable tech just to say you did it, is innovative in many cases.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
I love how they are able to change every "problem" into a good thing.

Missing a feature? Deliberate strategy.

You know, like MMS.

And copy & paste.

And a notification system.

And do-not-disturb mode.

----------

There are also some places like Starbucks where you can load a prepay account via a phone app and just 'swipe' a barcode in front of a little scanner at the register. I even get a discount on my soy milk substitution and my vanilla syrup etc. it isn't any more effort than tapping a chip etc
You cannot implement all necessary protocols by only using a barcode approach.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I'm just sick of seeing the same iPhone/Giants picture. Its been how many years now? That phone in the photo is a 3GS for crying out loud.

I like the way the Starbucks app works: I can reload it when I want to, quick scan at the register of the screen and I'm done. No risk for someone stealing the transmitted info.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
How do Mastercard, Visa, Google and the Japanese people do it then ? :confused:

Maybe you're just ignorant of what is already out there using NFC technologies for payment. Apple better just stick to what exists, we don't need another VHS vs Beta, Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war in the mobile payment area. Why can't these things ever get ratified and standardised and launch with every vendor on-board ?

Always one to play lone wolf with a competing format, confusing the marketplace.

You mean like the adoption of a micro-B USB charging cable for phones?

mully1121

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
I'm STILL getting used to using my phone for boarding pass barcodes or remembering to use my Starbucks app instead of buying gift cards (these are just habits).

As a Starbucks employee, let me tell a lot of us hate the phone apps. Half the time the phone freezes or the customer can't figure out how to work it. Plus we aren't allowed to touch the phones (understandable, not complaining about that) so if we aren't on the right register (one that has a detachable scanner) we have to track someone down who is. To me the technology still needs some work, right now it causes more headaches than its worth.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
No, not for the Japanese and South Koreans.

Apparently, you do not realize that the U.S. is terribly behind the times with much about cellular technology. They've had NFC-enabled cellphones since 2005. Tens of millions of Japanese use their cellphones for NFC contactless payments as well as transit systems every single day.

Again, most Americans are completely clueless as to how well a payment-enabled cellphone really is and the fact that there are modern countries who have been using these systems for years and would silently blink if they read the embarrassingly naive commentary here on MacRumors, AppleInsider, or dozens of other American-centric technology forums.

It would be great if I could use my iPhone as a Clipper Card (the SF Bay Area's contactless transit card which works with eight local transit agencies). It would remove one card from my wallet.

They're available in Japan but adoption is nowhere near what cvaldes think it is.

I've posted in the past that while there's tons of NFC capable phones in Japan, I've yet to see one used.

While the stats in the first post here are from 2009, you can still see that with 5 years of reliability and 50 million phones, the adoption rate is pretty bad.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
My Visa is Paypass enabled. Google Wallet uses Paypass. MasterCard pushes Paypass.

Seems to me, Paypass is the NFC standard for North America.

Your Visa should be payWave, not paypass, I think. Competing vendor, same technology.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
There is also swipe and pin. And even swipe and no pin for small things like a cup of coffee (if the company chooses to take the risk of a chargeback).

Swipe and pin makes sense for speed I guess. I'm not sure what you meant by "tapping a chip" though, maybe you think chip and pin is something else?

In the UK you have the pin terminal in front of you - your card has a chip on the front, you insert it into the reader, the cashier enters the amount and you enter your pin to pay. Part of it was to stop people forging signatures which was so easy it was ridiculous - anyone could pick up anyones card and just scribble - most don't even check the signatures or wouldn't have the bottle to say it doesn't match anyway. But it was also to stop the cashier ever handling the card which stopped the fraud from their site - with card cloners etc

I suppose swiping and entering your pin if you have the terminal in front of you covers both methods however there is a security reason the UK decided to invest millions using the chips in the cards rather than just making use of the magnetic strips that have always been there for decades.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
As a Starbucks employee, let me tell a lot of us hate the phone apps. Half the time the phone freezes or the customer can't figure out how to work it. Plus we aren't allowed to touch the phones (understandable, not complaining about that) so if we aren't on the right register (one that has a detachable scanner) we have to track someone down who is. To me the technology still needs some work, right now it causes more headaches than its worth.

HA! Yeah I've noticed that. Some locations it's fine (probably because people in the area use them more) others I get a blank stare of a groan. The whole QRcode scanning just seems like a temporary tech until a better method (NFC or something else) is fully adopted.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
It's the software, stupid

Apple likes to think out the utility to the user and get it just right. Just like the Sony camera in the 4S, it's an excellent camera, but it is the software that makes it sing: the face detection, the auto focus, the tap to select the focus and exposure zone, the HDR feature. Just having a near field chip is nothing, making it useful, friendly and safe is what will make it sing.

Take your time Apple and bring out a blockbuster function.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
This is probably more realistic than you might think. I work in the Payments industry and I can say that the established banks consider this sort of new entrant (Google/Apple) as a serious threat.

I hope Apple doesn't get into stuff like that. As much as I like the company, I don't want them garnering such monopolies over such basic aspects of our life. There needs to be variety and competition.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm very open minded to advancing technologies, and change. Yet Apple is bordering on far too powerful & influential now.

There's no question that NFC will be a part of our future, but I'd prefer to see Apple arrange a strategic partnership with an existing financial institution like VISA. That alliance would be more reasonable with fees, than if Apple goes it alone and establishes Apple Financial.

If they have control over every aspect of the transaction, we'll pay more since Apples marketing genius will sell "the convenience" and just like people pay more at a convenience store, those who lack impulse control will rack up obscene amounts of debt.

Once Apple does decide to build NFC into iOS, if the phone is "NFC enabled" where activation and billing is handled by VISA (just an example) then I'd have no objection.

But knowing Apple, my bet is they setup everything so they have complete control and profit from each transaction. Another closed proprietary system. The benefit to Apple is just too profitable for them to partner with any financial institution.

The Banks & Agencies like VISA M/C et al, know this and that's precisely why they are very worried. Apples clout is not to be underestimated.

Presently the wind is at their back, they have incredible momentum, and by all outward appearances they seem unstoppable.

Very...very worrisome.

Thomas P.

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NewYork
This is where the problem lies in the Apple, they don't work on time, and when some other company takes the lead, they will then go for court cases and legal actions against them for stealing their technology.

Apple should be careful about these things. Instead they should just release their stuff and not to wait long enough before some other company gets a hint of their Mobile Payment System idea and implement it before them.

:Finger Crossed:

anitaG

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
los angele CA
No doubt your right. But i think it's part of their advertisement, probably the reason why other company might know about it. Similarly mobile payments are type of the next big thing in consumer finance. A group of main retailers have announced a new program using a cell phone app, called the Merchant Customer Exchange. The program is part of a partnership by Walmart, Best Buy and other retailers. Indeed, Merchant Customer Exchange mobile payment system is coming soon.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.