Apple delivers in laptops!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Nov 19, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

people asked for the sub-$1,000 dollar ibook - apple delivered

people asked for superdrive in the tibook - apple delivered

people asked for a 1 ghz tibook - apple delivered

HATS OFF TO APPLE !

out of curiosity, will apple give us a ;

1) dual processor tibook
    2) sub-$2,000 tibook
    3) G4 ibook

...next year?

thoughts

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I would rate the G4 iBook (or some variant of the iBook) as very likely. Probably coincide with a SuperDrive option - which can happen at any time.

The sub-$2000 TiBook has a 50/50 shot. It's $2300 right now, so we're close.

The dual-G4 TiBook is the least likely. If they go with a different PowerBook chassis, then maybe, but a 2xG4 in the current titanium shell is unlikely.

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

The iBook won't go G4 until the G5 Powerbook comes out. And it won't get a superdrive until then, either.

Just MHO

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Exactly, there is no way IMO either that apple will put a G4 or SuperDrive in the iBook until a) The PowerBook gets a new chip (bet it a G5 or something from IBM), and b) the SuperDrive in the TiBook becomes standard or speed is dramatically improved allowing the slower drive to be fitted to the iBook for a premium price.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The only thing left to do is add DDR RAM to the TiBook. I cant wait to go to College with a G4 iBook someday. Apple has done a great job in beating all expectations for laptops. Now if only they could do that with desktops;)

6. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I sincerely doubt that. The G3, in my opinion, is almost done this will most likely be the last iBook with a G3. Do any of you know how long it will take before we get a "G5 PowerBook"? It took nearly one and a half years after the G4 PowerMac came out before we got the PowerBook G4. Around July 2003 there will be a G4 iBook.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I thought the G3 chips being used now were the IBMs that can go past 1ghz...

Lethal

8. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

So what if they can? Would still like the PowerMac, and the iMac to use G3 processors just because they can keep going up in speed or do you want a new chip in them? I'd want a new chip in them.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, if a G3 with higher MHz has lower power consumption than a comparable G4, than I'd rather stick with the G3, thank you. From what I've read, the G3 is not that much slower than the G4 at the same MHz, but consumes significantly less power. Sure for an Altivec-optimized app the G4 is significantly faster, but for a consumer-level laptop like the iBook, the performance on everyday apps like Office and the web browser is what's important.

I would predict that Apple will bump up the iBook G3 speed to 1GHz+ and the bus speed to 133MHz (is that technically feasible?) before they go to a G4. I'm writing this on an 800 MHz G3 and it's quite snappy running Jaguar. Keep in mind that a disproportionate number of iBook buyers are switching from a PC, so they'll be less concerned about how a G3 compares to a G4, and much more concerned with whether performance on a Mac is good *enough* compared to what they're used to getting on a PC. And if a prospective switcher tries out a G3 iBook for themselves (at, say, an Apple Store), they will see that it's more than fast enough for everything they need to do, and that's all they need to know...

11. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I don't think Apple will lower the prices on the tibook...most people are satisfied, and they love the price drop. I think apple will raise :( the prices next year... :( :( :(

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I doubt that a dual processor Apple laptop computer would happen within the next year or so. A small price decrease is more likely.

If Apple really wants to push AltiVec, they'll have an all-G4, or G4-compatible, lineup including the iBook. It would make more sense for them to entice game developers or scientists with various product lines unified by one type of processor.

If this happens, it's more likely that the "clear" advantage of AltiVec will be shown.

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

even though i want to see a G4 in apple's consumer portable, a 1ghz G3 ibook would not be such a bad thing at all...being that the current design of the ibook started at only 500 mhz

14. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I don't think that Apple can afford to raise prices in the future if the market is anything like it is now. Right now I think they're hitting the sweet spots in terms of prices: a consumer line ranging from a sub-$1000 entry level to a $1849 high-end, and a pro line ranging from a reasonable $2300 (considering the features), to a $3000 ultimate machine.

More likely, they'll keep the prices on the TiBooks the same or even slightly lower, and focus on increasing performance and features.

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

compaq's sub-$1,000 laptop machine has 256 MB ddr ram, combo drive, and an amd 1.33 ghz athlon chip

while apple's ibook under a grand is great, compaq's new offering in their now entry level 900 series is quite amazing for the price

even apple's tibook does not have ddr...right?

the only thing the ibook has over the compaq 900 is that is runs os x and weighs 1.6 lbs. less

i would still get the ibook, but the combo drive and the ddr ram for under a grand is tempting in the compaq laptop...and watch compaq and hp offer this type of machine for $899 after christmas

apple's laptops at least need ddr

16. vniow macrumors G4

If only for marketing reasons.

DDR may not improve the performance a significant amount, but based off of looks alone, 266Mhz DDR RAM looks twice as fast as PC133 RAM even though it isn't.
    That's how a lot of people look at computers when they're first shopping for them, they just sorta skim over the specs and narrow their choices down.
    Just having DDR there even if it's redundant will made them look more up to date.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

granted, the overall laptop performance boost may not be a lot with ddr ram, but what will apple laptops look like if they take another six-nine months to employ ddr?

they will look obsolete...especially if ibook can't reach 1 ghz on their (or ibm's) g3 chip