Apple Denies iCloud Hack as Cause of Locked iOS Device Ransom Demands

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 27, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, a number of iOS and Mac users reported iPhones, iPads, and Macs being remotely locked by hackers who then demanded a ransom for their recovery.

[​IMG]
    The attacks primarily affected those located in Australia. While there have been many theories about common points of attack, no one theme has emerged. Some users also deny that passwords were shared with other services.

ZDNet reports that Apple has issued an official statement denying that iCloud itself was hacked.
    A growing discussion thread on Apple's support forums is following the issue.

Thanks Dominik

Article Link: Apple Denies iCloud Hack as Cause of Locked iOS Device Ransom Demands

2. macrumors member

surfingarbo

Who actually asks for a ransom in typed-text format? Real ransom's are made with individual letters cut from magazines with a scissors.

3. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Plus there's probably an iOS app to simulate that look.

4. macrumors newbie

Does anyone have trouble accessing the support thread given ?

I get this notice:

[​IMG]

Though it seems that the support site on the American and Australia websites are working fine ...

5. macrumors regular

Given that Spotify recently recommended that all android users change their spotify account passwords after one account was potentially compromised, it is interesting to see Apple take a much more "nothing to do with us" stance. I hope for their sake that they are 100% sure on that one.

6. macrumors newbie

Surely there was some way Apple could have defended itself without sounding like it was just blaming its users.

Defensive Apple sounds defensive.

7. macrumors 6502a

Not wanting to defend anyone here - but can you show me where they blame the users? Is their advice bad?

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're advice isn't bad but I feel like I've seen Apple take the "it's not us" stance before then later turn around and admit there was some breach or something. My memory could be wrong.

9. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

Oh hope no one actually paid the hackers

10. macrumors 6502a

silvetti

It's so obvious this is a user problem (weak passwords) that I don't even know why people pay attention to this.

11. macrumors 6502

EdgardasB

exactly, if there would be problem with Apple security system, it would be major issue, now only plenty people, which doesn't care about their security and using low security passwords

12. batchtaster, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

macrumors 6502a

"Coincidentally", this week I received a phishing attempt, claiming to be from Apple (which was obvious, and I reported through both SpamCop and Google). I've never received one from them - it's always been Amazon, PayPal, eBay, banks, etc. (Part of me actually went "well, it's about time.")

I would put money on the victims having fallen for the phish attempt, and deny having shared their password because they still believe that the link they clicked and divulged all their iCloud account details to "confirm" their account, was an Apple one.

Sorry, but until someone can prove the underlying iCloud infrastructure is to blame, I'm gonna call this user error.

13. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Also, if this was iCloud related, you'd think the problem would be a lot more widespread. Sounds 'phishy' to me.

14. macrumors 6502

allanfries

I'm calling "user problem" as well. I know so many people that have poor passwords. Like their name for instance!!! :roll eyes: If iCloud was hacked, this would be appearing world wide, wouldn't you think?

15. macrumors regular

In todays day& age, its a goldmine for a cybercriminal. Reminds of me when you watch old western movies and you see how easy they march in and rob a bank. Well we're that age in online years.

16. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Because guesswork isn't good enough. It's important to know.

17. macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

The unspoken issue here is — using Find My Device. If someone gets your password, your device becomes a sitting duck if that's turned on.

The world went mad when a journalist lost his baby photos, because someone social engineered his password and remote wiped his MacBook Air.

I don't see the same empathy when people less famous suffer extortion for using the same password on iCloud as somewhere else.

This is the downside of Find My Device. Keep those iCloud passwords unique. And don't use your iCloud email & password anywhere else. That's simple… ;)

18. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

I like to refer to it as a chair-keyboard interface problem :D

----------

Kinda like a Clint eAstwood era :D

19. macrumors 601

Plutonius

How do you expect to know other than the person responsible for it telling you what they did ?

20. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm interested to know if effected users have two step authentication enabled.

21. macrumors 603

Carlanga

What world? I never heard of it and didn't see it anywhere? Maybe we just live in different planets lol

22. macrumors 6502

And if it is a user problem... How does that work?

23. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Simple. Because it's apple. It makes for good stories and more clicks.

24. macrumors 6502a

It's a bad/malformed link. I copied it and took out everything after the thread number itself and that works:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6270410

25. macrumors 6502

Two phishing attemps here too., from fake iTunes One claiming I bought some books in iBooks store (sending to a wen page in Poland for verification). The second one reporting some fake bought in the App Store. Quite we'll done, BTW...