Apple Design Chief Jonathan Ive Knighted in Buckingham Palace, Says 'Best Work' is Underway Now

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

BBC reports that Apple's design chief Jonathan Ive was knighted today in Buckingham Palace, with Princess Anne performing the honors. Ive's knighthood was announced in December, but the official ceremony was not held until today.

[​IMG]

Ive's knighthood was accompanied by a rare extensive profile and interview with The Telegraph in which he shares details on his background and philosophy.
    The humble Ive, who notably almost always uses "we" rather than "I" in discussion of Apple's design process, emphasizing the team aspect of the industrial design division's work, also discusses the care that Apple takes in designing every single aspect of each product.
    Asked which of his designs is most important to him and for which he would like to be remembered most, Ive notes that his team's current projects are "the most important and the best work we've done" but that he of course can't disclose details on that work.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jonathan Ive Knighted in Buckingham Palace, Says 'Best Work' is Underway Now

2. Guest

Is it just me or does he look like the chubby boy from Willy Wonka in that picture? An older version...

3. macrumors 68030

needfx

4. macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

5. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

At first I thought you were crazy, but the comparison is uncanny!

Anyways, Congrats to Johnny. Well Deserved.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68040

tigres

I find this to be the most interesting quote of the article.

From The Telegraph
    "Ive has achieved an awful lot and still has a long career ahead of him. Even so, a knighthood is a good time to take stock. If he was to be remembered for just one of his Apple designs, I ask, which one would he pick?

There is the long pause. “It’s a really tough one. A lot does seem to come back to the fact that what we’re working on now feels like the most important and the best work we’ve done, and so it would be what we’re working on right now, which of course I can’t tell you about.”

7. macrumors 68000

colmaclean

8. macrumors member

Yes that has me very excited too! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

9. macrumors newbie

After Steve, he is the most important person for Apple success :)

10. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It's just you.

11. Guest

Sky Blue

12. macrumors newbie

Coastercub

Willy Wonka is looking a little rough now :D

13. macrumors 6502

Fantastic, truly well deserved! Why was it Anne rather than the Queen?!

14. macrumors 65816

parish

She does, but she's currently camped outside the Covent Garden Apple Store waiting for the new MBPs to be released :p

15. macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I think it's a good sign that Jonny has put on a few pounds, he's obviously content in life and looks very happy.

Pure 'Apple' dropping in hype inducing answers to questions :D

16. macrumors 6502

Has to be the iTV.

17. macrumors member

That made me geniune belly laugh!!!

:D

18. macrumors 6502a

olowott

Total Respect Sir Jony, nothing like designs you make been enjoyed by millions of people and still has great value:apple:

19. macrumors 6502a

iEnvy

Doesn't that get you excited? :cool::apple:

20. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

21. macrumors 6502

There are literally hundreds of honors distributed each year. Some are done by the Queen, but Charles and Anne have both stood in for her on numerous occasions.

Overseas honors can also be presented by the British ambassador to that country under authority from her majesty. The Fonz (Henry Winkler) got his recently that way.

22. macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Didn't Tim Cook mention that 2012 was going to be a big year? (can someone verify?)

I'm so excited :D

23. macrumors regular

iScott428

Somewhere Apple's Public Relations and marketing VP's are smiling foolishly right now.

Love the Doesn't the Queen Knight him comment too!!

:apple:

24. macrumors 6502a

From the article:

"Just one person looks twice at Jonathan Ive as we walk through the Apple store in London's Covent Garden and that's a member of staff. The customers are oblivious to the presence of the man responsible for the design of the computers, iPads, iPhones and iPods that they are admiring, tapping and caressing throughout the shop."

If I'd been there my eyes would have popped out to see Jonathan Ive so far from 'home'. I'd have probably embarrassed myself by rushing over to shake his hand and mumble some awkward words of appreciation.

25. macrumors 68030

Winni

Creative persons will ALWAYS say that what they're working on right at that moment is the best work they've ever done.

----------

Did any CEO of any company ever say that the current year was not going to be a big year for the company?

----------

This. He's doing awesome work and deserves all the credit for it - including this well earned knighthood.