Apple Designer on Why Curved Glass and Extruded Aluminum iPhone Designs Were Rejected

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 2, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With court documents in the ongoing legal dispute between Apple and Samsung having yielded a remarkable number of design concepts and prototypes from the development of the iPhone and iPad, Network World has taken a look at testimony that explains why Apple rejected some of the ideas. The testimony comes from Doug Satzger, who spent 12 years in industrial design at Apple before moving on to Palm in early 2009 and then joining Intel earlier this year.

Most notably, Satzger reveals that Apple very much wanted to use a curved glass design for the iPhone, but cost considerations and technical hurdles forced Apple to change directions.
    [​IMG]

"0355" iPhone prototype with curved glass on front and back
    Satzger also addressed Apple's ideas for an extruded aluminum design similar to that of the iPod mini, noting that the design was rejected for both comfort and technical reasons.
    [​IMG]

iPhone with silver iPod mini-like extruded aluminum design (Source: The Verge)

Article Link: Apple Designer on Why Curved Glass and Extruded Aluminum iPhone Designs Were Rejected

2. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

It was rejected cause it looked ugly hahahaha!! :D

3. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    seems like it would crack easily... Don't really see any added benefit

4. macrumors member

"oh and we realized it looked like crap." missed that pars :D
    I think people overlook how sexy the curret iPhone looks. And the next iPhone, getting rid of the speaker grooves, even better :)

5. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I love stories like this (along with the other prototype leaks/stories). It gives such great insight into Apple & how they operate/think.

6. macrumors 601

twietee

Glad they thought twice about printing "MENU" on the home button.

The first one looks pretty slick imho, reminds me on a cooler Vertu version. I'd buy that.

7. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Nokia managed to do curved glass on N9 and Lumia 800 and they both turned out awesome.

8. macrumors 6502

Not really. It looks ugly by the standards of what came after, but if Apple had released something like that in 2007 nobody would have been surprised, and it would have seemed like a logical design. It would probably have been good enough, after a few more iterations. Obviously, what makes Apple stand out is that they don't ever settle for good enough...

9. macrumors member

Is it only me who thinks the curved glass looks phantastic?

10. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

They still did it with the nano:

[​IMG]

11. macrumors 601

twietee

Nope.

The stuff in the lower end looks unfinished, but overall really cool!

12. macrumors regular

What this says to me: They wanted to try something different than the standard rectangular phones. They were forced, like everyone else, to design a rectangular phone with rounded edges because it obviously makes the most sense. Hence why patenting a certain shape is ridiculous for any company; it's the obvious route to go. You can make the rectangle look slightly different, but that's about it.

13. macrumors 6502

For varying degrees of awesome ;)

I nearly bought the Lumia 800, but two months after they released it they pre-announced the 900, so I stuck with iPhone. I'm pleased with my choice, because not upgrading the Lumia to WP8 is a real dick move. Imagine if Apple cut off iPhones from the latest iOS after just one year. Unimaginable.

14. macrumors 6502

Jynto

It seems the reasons for ditching the curved glass are mostly technical. Does this mean we could be seeing curved glass iPhones in the future?

15. macrumors 6502

They didn't patent the rectangle. They patented a design that looks very much like an iPhone.

16. macrumors 6502

Jynto

That wasn't a touchscreen though.

17. macrumors 6502

And it was a smaller surface.

18. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Curved front: Cool (well, actually, I don't know if there are blending issues since it will reflect a wider angle)
    Curved back: Oh, please, no! Thinking about having my phone on the desk and checking a notification and the phone starts to wobble like a cheap crucked plate.

19. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I didn't really have much problem with my iPhone 3G... which was curved more heavily than that pic

20. macrumors 601

Icaras

Do you place the Nano over your ear? No.

Does the Nano utilize 3G and wi-fi capabilities? No.

The reasons were stated in the quote quite clearly.

21. macrumors 65816

and I dont think it was glass... Plastic?

22. macrumors 6502a

chainprayer

Avoiding antenna issues? Dodged a bullet on that one!

23. macrumors member

Yes, there's some real potential here! Imagine it finished!
    Since the curves aren't that extreme it wouldn't have problems on the desk I think.

24. 8281, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

macrumors regular

It's neat seeing all these designs, but I think these lawsuits are getting out of hand. Seems like the legal bills alone will cost more than the loss incurred by any claimed patent infringement, and I think one of the judges even called one of Apple's arguments "silly." I totally understand protecting intellectual property, but jeez...

25. macrumors 601

Technarchy

All kinds of interesting design insight since this trial started.