Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idiolect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Washington, DC
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Quick question about the paid Apple Developer membership. A lot of people have alluded to a substantial developer discount on one system a year, or something like that. Anyhow, I'm thinking about joining and putting the discount towards a MBP, but haven't been able to find the specific discount value on the web. Anyone have any information, or general comments about the plusses/minuses of joining the dev program? Thanks! :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
You mean the STUDENT DEVELOPER discount.

The developer discount is the same, but alas last I checked if you are NOT a student in any capacity, to become a Developer, and have access to the discount, you must pay the membership fee:

$500 - $3500 a year

student is $99/year

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Subiklim said:
So what are the discounts that student developers get?
The same as linked above, they just get a once-per-lifetime discount. Once you use it, its gone.

Normal developers do not have this restriction.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
Don M. said:
The same as linked above, they just get a once-per-lifetime discount. Once you use it, its gone.

Normal developers do not have this restriction.

Perhaps I'm mentally retarted, but I don't see anywhere on that site a statement of the monetary value of the discount.

idiolect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Washington, DC
Thanks all! Those links contained exactly what I was looking for... basically, confirmation that it costs the same to enroll in ADC and get a MBP using the discount as it would to simply purchase the MBP outright.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
idiolect said:
Thanks all! Those links contained exactly what I was looking for... basically, confirmation that it costs the same to enroll in ADC and get a MBP using the discount as it would to simply purchase the MBP outright.
If you qualify for the education discount there is little benefit in joining for *just* the ADC discount. If you can't get the education discount, the ADC discount is a bit more compelling.

Personally, I like the free OS updates; they've sent me two copies of Tiger since joining, allowing me to sell my retail package. :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
the Student Developer Discount is good in the following case:

you are buying a high prices desktop or laptop

If by spending $99 for the "privilege" to shop at the ADC store, with discount, you get to save $500+ on your desktop, then so be it. The higher the price of the Mac the higher the discount, of course.

Saving a net amount of $400+ is a good thing.

idiolect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Washington, DC
I'm not a student, so I don't qualify for the low price of $99. A friend of mine is in the ADC program and I've always been envious of the freebies and documentation he got in the mail, so I'm still leaning towards it and a nice laptop to match. Thanks again for everyone's comments!

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
With an MSDN membership, developers have access to a vast array of Microsoft software, including Office, SQL Server, and others.

Is the same true of ADC? What software, aside from OS X, is available to ADC members?

MacMan93

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
I don't think micro$oft sends you a copy of Vista when you sign up for MSDN, do they? ;) Unfourtunatly I'm not old enought to get the $500 package but the free package gives you a pretty good amount of development help.(I wouldn't want the student one.1 computer discount for LIFE!?!...I would be buying apple's next greatest creation as it came out!) I can only imagine that the Select and Premier have many more goodies....and it all gets mailed to you on CDs/DVDs....no cloging up bandwidth.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
gleepskip said:
With an MSDN membership, developers have access to a vast array of Microsoft software, including Office, SQL Server, and others.

Is the same true of ADC? What software, aside from OS X, is available to ADC members?
Essentially, nothing. The developers get early access to OS changes and new OS versions. Almost everything else is freely available at developer.apple.com. But, yes, the disks in the mail are much easier to use.

You pay for the discount, the OS advance peeks, and the testing access (if you live near such a site).
MacMan93 said:
I don't think micro$oft sends you a copy of Vista when you sign up for MSDN, do they? ;)
Actually, they do.. well, the current testing versions.

MacMan93

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
I kinda ment that as a joke.....I heard that Micro$oft has stripped quite a few features off of 'Vista'......so much (other than the Mac OS X interface copy!?!?) that it is now (in my book) M$ Windows XP Sevice pack 3......not cough...OSX wannabe....cough 'Vista' :D

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
jsw said:
Essentially, nothing.
Aside from OS X - nothing but you do get the current shipping versions of Mac OS client shipped to you and download access to Mac OS Server. So there's a reasonable level of value there. I wish they bundled Remote Desktop...that'd be really useful.

Link

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
gleepskip said:

Software-wise, not much, as everything is already opened to the public (Thank You Apple!)

BUT

You get a kickass Apple Developer T-Shirt :D

It's the only geek tshirt my g/f lets me wear in public :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.