Apple Developer Program -- What happens if I don't renew?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Mr.MathType, Jan 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

So let's say I pay my $99 to join the ADP. After a year, I decide I don't want to develop iOS apps anymore and choose not to renew. What happens to my apps that are already available on the store (all free)? I'm assuming Apple removes them from the store, and apps that have already been downloaded will continue to be usable, but I can't verify that anywhere. I checked on the Apple website and didn't find any FAQ or anywhere else where they've given this information.

2. macrumors 6502a

My current understanding is they continue to be available in the store until such time that they stop working with the latest version of iOS available.

3. macrumors member

i read on some other forum that your apps go off the app store if you don't renew.
    [citation needed] though :)

4. macrumors 603

A developer who forgot to renew his developer account in time reported on another forum that his apps disappeared from the App store that day.

Any Developer builds and Ad Hoc apps will also stop working on your devices, as the mobileprovisions usually expire on the renewal date. You can still run apps from Xcode on the Simulator though.

However, once a customer buys or downloads an app from iTunes, it should run forever, unless the customer manages to delete all his copies and ipa backups.

AFAIK.

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iOS Developer Program - Program Renewals

6. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for pointing that out I hadn't noticed that before!

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

so basically they will delete the apps?

what if they "revoke it and unvalidated it" then i repay the fee, do i get the apps back?

9. macrumors 603

No. They just remove them from the App store. The apps are still in the portal, which you need to have a non-expired enrollment to access. Stuck in limbo is more like it.

10. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, the apps will no longer be available on the App Store. Users who have downloaded your app previously will continue to be able to run your apps, though.
    This is unclear, at least to me. I suspect that you would have to go through the same procedure had you removed the app from sale yourself but I could be wrong. I've not heard of anyone who's gone through this predicament yet.