Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that Apple has been working on a home media server to access your iTunes and other files anywhere you have internet access. The site compares it to HP's Media Smart Server which offers a centralized location for backup, storage and file delivery to your computers locally as well as remotely:
Your music, photos, videos and other media are part of your life -- but they're scattered over multiple computers, disk drives, CDs, DVDs, and MP3 players.... Macs and iPods too. The HP MediaSmart Server centralizes all your files, from all your home computers, in one place so you can grab them anywhere you have an internet connection and share how you want.
Apple's take on the system would reportedly expand out Time Capsule's functionality from being a single drive backup system into a more robust multi-drive backup server. In addition, tie ins would be made to Apple's MobileMe services to deliver access to your files and media from anywhere on the internet.

9to5mac suggests that media could also be shared to your iPhone and iPod touch, providing full access to your media while mobile. The device could also serve media files to other computers at home as well as to your Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Developing a Home Media Server?

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
sounds interesting! i would definetly get it if it does a whole complete integration of everything for all your devices and computers

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
I have wanted something like this for a long time. I think it needs to be the main library for itunes, iphoto & imovie. those libraries are getting too big for most computers and adds a level of complexity to share (are all computers on the network, is the app open, etc).

where as, if a home server could be the central database for all of that, then when you say, import pictures, they get synced to the HMS and then available to everyone on the network (obviously there could be permissions and such).

iwuzbord

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
New York City
sounds interesting! i would definetly get it if it does a whole complete integration of everything for all your devices and computers

i agree. something like mobile me, but for your media. apple would probably replace the apple tv with this device, and make a service that would be able to take and aggregate media from your computers and what not.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Now we're talking! A merging of the Mac-Mini and :apple:TV
This is bound to set another new standard.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Sounds pretty cool.

Overall, iTunes could use some MAJOR improvements in the way it is able to handle drives and organize files. It's hard to believe that it still has no good way to split an iTunes library over multiple drives, not even something as simple as different drives for music and video.

Same goes for multiple users sharing audio and video files in a household. Sure, secondary machines can access the songs, but no way to change star ratings? Play count doesn't change?

Let's hope this is a sign of improvements to iTunes overall, not just for those who buy a new (usually overpriced) apple add-on.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I'll have to see it to believe it. The home server market is such a niche market.

Apple typically avoids complicated devices like this, as they don't really know who or how to market it (Apple TV anyone?).

With that said, I have an HP MediaSmart Server and I would love for Apple to create their own version of it.

I think 9to5mac is just jumping on HP's news today.

Now we're talking! A merging of the Mac-Mini and :apple:TV
This is bound to set another new standard.

Jumping the gun aren't you? No one has said anything about merging the Apple TV or Mac mini. This device would be more like an advanced Time Capsule (or Drobo). I highly doubt it's going to support any type of display-out.

blur35mm

Cancelled
Jan 18, 2007
Interesting concept, but will they get it right??

Just like DVD Player allows you to playback VIDEO_TS folders, they need to SUPPORT playback of VIDEO_TS folders on the Apple TV not with a hack.

Be able to daisy chain drives for seamless scalability.

Also, another novel concept would be to introduce LED picture frames that are wirelessly connected to this media server with a simple remote to control access to photos or even videos.

There is real potential for Apple to corner this market, but they need to get it right. I have 200+ DVD's and prefer to rip them for playback to avoid damaging the discs. Also, they need to throw in true support for Dolby Digital 7.1.

I'd be all over it even if it cost 1-200 more if it did everything I needed it to.

Until then, the Apple TV is a novelty item and cannot be used seriously for home theater enthusiasts even if the media server were attached without all the right functions.

I sense a Kaleidescape killer if they can get it right.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I hope it has RAID and multiple internal drives capabilities as well as external drives ports (USB2, FW400, FW800, eSATA). Let's also hope it's nearly silent. My Mac minis have spoiled me, I can't stand computer hardware noise anymore. :D

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Won't be long before we're truly back to the original model: server + terminals...

Nisaea

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
I would bet the farm & chickens that this would be expandable via USB, but it would be great if it also included firewire. But based on apple letting go of firewire (ipods & macbook) there isn't much hope for firewire.

As an unrelated thought... anyone want to take odds that the new mac mini will not have firewire? My guess is it will be gone on everything except the pro lines of apple products and iMacs.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
basically a mini server in your own home, sweet =] sign me up for one

Here here!!

I've been so close to buying a cheap HP-esque Server from somewhere like eBuyer to put Win 2003 + iTunes on it to do this!

A 'proper' integrated Apple solution to serve my MBP, Apple TV and my Work laptop either when it's at home or at work would be brilliant!

The only thing would be, please don't make it £999 Apple!!

Sounds like a 'one more thing' er, thing to me :D

Bring on January!!

- D

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I hope they do this. We were talking about one of these back when the "Brick" rumor was going on.

Ugly mock-up:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'll have to see it to believe it. The home server market is such a niche market.

IMHO it stopped being a niche market when Apple started to sell TV shows and movies via the iTunes Store. Non-technical users need a way to safeguard those files, and even Time Capsule/Time Machine can't do it if they don't support multiple drives/RAID setups.

There's also the fact that iTunes cannot manage multiple drives by itself, you need to manually manage files to be able to do that. As an example, I let iTunes manage my music files but I take care of the TV shows and movies files by hand. And yes, I have to check/uncheck the "let iTunes manage files" every time I add something. It works, but it's annoying.

MakGeek

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
we're not worthy...we're not worthy...we're not worthy...

I have spent teh better part of this weekend trying to figure out how to implement this at home. Wife got me my second AppleTV I bought her a Macbook, add in my MAcBook Pro and an iMac and we have vast file confusion. Remote access would be great but not needed immediately for me, I just need a central place to store all this media.

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Oh yea, I hope this one "pans out". This is exactly what I have been planning to build/hackintosh, I would rather just buy one.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.