Apple Developing iPhone With Extended Range Wireless Charging for as Soon as 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is reportedly developing a wirelessly-charged iPhone for as soon as 2017, according to Bloomberg. The company is working with its partners in both the U.S. and Asia to create the technology.

[​IMG]
    Current wirelessly-charged devices require users to place their phones or other devices on charging mats. In September 2012, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said that the company wasn't sure of how convenient wireless charging is as most wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into a wall.

In early January, it was reported that Apple was working on wireless charging for the iPhone 7. However, that report warned that the feature could be pulled from the iPhone 7 for a future iteration of the device as Apple is working on the technology currently.

Apple has held an interest in wireless charging since the first iPhone, gaining patents for wireless charging stations and wireless charging through a near field magnetic resonance, which wirelessly charges a device within a certain region. The Cupertino company has also shown an interest in WiTricity's wireless charging technology, which uses "hidden charging" technology that allows magnetic fields to wrap around barriers. This allows users to place their charging pads wherever they want.

Last November it was reported that the iPhone 7 would see the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack for an all-in-one Lightning connector that allows users to both power their device and plug in headphones. While the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack would mean that Apple would be able to make the iPhone thinner, it would not allow users to listen to headphones and charge their phone at the same time. A proprietary wireless charging solution from Apple in future iPhones with all-in-one Lightning connectors would likely allow for that.

Article Link: Apple Developing iPhone With Extended Range Wireless Charging for as Soon as 2017

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 6502a

This makes sense for iPhone 7 if you're removing headphone jack, but 2017?

3. nutmac macrumors 68030

Even a contact based charger like Apple Watch is super convenient. I would love extended range charger, provided it does not significantly add charging time (about 2 hours more should be the limit for full charge).

4. ~HavoK macrumors member

~HavoK

How about a Lightning charger that doesn't break after 2 months instead?

5. sebAAD macrumors newbie

sebAAD

6. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

What's next, an iPhone that has physically no connections, doesn't have any buttons (everything is controlled using the software or using your mind or some other bs like that), it's so thin that it can fold like a piece of paper (of course, with the protruding camera and the phone that can break super-easily), and is overall just a giant screen?

7. powertoold macrumors 6502

iPhone 8 @ 1mm thin confirmed no ports whatsoever, charges through the power of your gaze.

8. JohnApples macrumors 6502a

I agree, I hate the fragile lightning connectors. They "turtle neck" and fray VERY easily for me, even though they literally never leave the outlet they're plugged into. But be prepared for the following incoming comments:

"What are you doing with your chargers that causes them to break so soon?????"
    "I've had my Lightning charger for (insert years) and it's still PERFECT!"
    "Don't abuse your cord and you won't have this problem."

9. Whitelobster macrumors member

This is at least an innovation which would make sense, unlike those silly "wireless" charging pads. Who cares if it's wireless if you still have to place the phone in a certain area? Plugging a phone in does not stress me out.

10. finnns2000 macrumors regular

Let the games begin, by the end of the rumor mill this here iPhone 7 will be a holographic swiss army knife with Apple car key installed.

11. MacFanBoi macrumors member

Must be treating the cables pretty rough. I've been using the same lighting cable that came with my iphone 5 to charge every new iphone and ipad and no damage yet. Can't wait for wireless charging though.

12. Mactendo macrumors 65816

13. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Anything to put an end to the stupid Lightning connector. I seem to get only a year or two before i have to take my iPhone into the store, because it will quit making contact in there or something. Or the cables themselves will get a worn contact. My iPhone6 just started doing it, so time for an upgrade i guess. My old iPod 3 charges just fine (though, it doesn't hold the charge for more than 10 seconds).

14. Mactendo macrumors 65816

Or laughing.

15. procrastinasn macrumors regular

Take care of your cables?

16. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Yep, 2017 makes sense too when you think about it.. They take it away in 2016, release the S version in 2017 which fixes the problem...

17. buckawheat macrumors member

He's too busy making cars...

18. imspace2 macrumors member

You mean his urn? Lol

19. Keirasplace macrumors 68040

Why not change the battery instead of well complaining about it; would cost what $15 bucks.

I've got a Iphone 3GS that had only one change of battery and has been plugged in to death, same original cord and well it plugs in OK. Never a broken a cord or connector in our 8 devices in our family; not sure what people do exactly to mess things up so fast/.

20. firedept macrumors demi-god

firedept

Interesting tech. Be nice not to have to plug my phone in all the time. Just place it down close and away you go.

21. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

I'm sure he would be just mortified that people are beginning to implement his dreams (finally)?

22. Keirasplace macrumors 68040

Well, if someone has got 5+ device and your saying they're fragile (as a generality), it deserves to be challenged.
    You're case doesn't demonstrate it being fragile any more than mine demonstrates sturdiness.

23. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Whilst I do see many with the problems you describe above, I’m still on the same lead that I recieved with my 5S. I am probably a little anal with it mind you, (keep it low tension, no small radius curves or twists, pull by connector only). Every one of my family members that said, have runied their newer leads quite quickly. I do agree that they are too fragile.

Be interesting to see how many of the fanboys that slated wireless charging change tack and suggest that 'Apple did wireless charing right'.

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What are the health downsides to pushing electricity through the air?

25. MasterMac macrumors regular

I mean, the quotes aren't wrong...