Apple Dictionary

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M@lew, Jan 10, 2007.

1. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Can I get an Australian plug-in for the Apple dictionary? Because the American spelling of some words is different.

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

though im not posotive, I do not think so, I have never seen these, though i could easily be wrong.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Assuming you're talking about the spellcheck dictionary as opposed to the "Dictionary.app" stand-alone one, yes, Australian English is there, and it's easy to get to:

In an app that offers spelling services (let's say, TextEdit): Go to the "Spelling" sub-menu (under Edit) and select "Spelling..." You'll get the pop-up spellchecker window that offers suggestions and such. Right down at the bottom of it there's a popup box called "Dictionary". It defaults to just "English" (which is American English), but it offers Australian English, British English, Canadian English, as well as about 10 european languages (German, Polish, French, etc).

I would have thought if you had "Australian English" set as your first pick in the International pref pane it would default to that, but admittedly I've never tried. I do assume that whatever you select in that panel sticks--I was spellchecking some British text at one point, and it started flagging my American spellings as wrong when I forgot to switch it back when I was done.

4. M@lew thread starter macrumors 68000

M@lew

Thanks, but how do you change it in Pages? The Dictionary option isn't there. I had a look in TextEdit and got that to change. But is there no way to change it Universally? Or do I HAVE to do it with every program?

5. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Somewhat confusingly, Pages doesn't let you change the language from the Edit>spelling>spelling menu like other apps -

You need to open the inspector then choose the 'Text' tab, then the 'More' then choose the language you want from the list available. That should do it.

6. lolly7 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Ok first of all you need to make sure you can see your toolbar. This means at the top of your document you will see icons such as 'view', 'fullscreen', 'outline', 'section' etc. If you can't see this go to 'view' and scroll down to show toolbar.
    Once you can see the toolbar with all the little icons, go to the blue icon that says inspector. This should bring up a separate window box with many picture tabs such as a little page with folded corner. You need to click the one with a big 'T'.
    There will then be tabs below that saying 'text', 'list', 'tabs', 'more'. Select 'more'.
    You will see 'language' in bold text at the bottom to which you then choose 'Australian language'.
    <3

7. urug20bd macrumors newbie

Brilliant! I like your precise instructions, worked a treat!