Apple Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by sahil, Jan 30, 2002.

What is the likelyness that Apple will release a Digital Camera (iCam)?

1. You have a urinal problem cause theres no chance in hell that Apple would be that stupid!

24 vote(s)
  2. Mabye, but not soon.

11 vote(s)
  3. Yeh sure, why not, they need to fill the gap with that whole Digital Hub thing.

15 vote(s)
  4. Probably tokyo...

7 vote(s)
  1. sahil macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2001
    Bartltt..small place in IL
    i was just browsing around the other day when i came across an interesting peice of information, which i had no idea about until yesterday. I'll start in the beggining:
    On Feb. 17th 1997 Apple introduced what is known as the Apple QuickTake 200 Digital Camera and i have belief that it was one of the first 'advanced' digital cameras out there, this article praises the product <> . And this brings us back to the universal question, Why did they discontinue it? would be nice for some feed back..and feel free to ramble about any future that apple may have in the release of a possible (not so far fetched) iCam... thanks

2. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    First of all... a historical note...

First consumer digital camera -> Apple Computer. Original Quicktake... it was a binocular-shaped unit.

The second quicktake was a rebranded Fuji camera. I think Fuji made it, and Apple rebranded - though I suppose it's possible the otherway around... but I kinda doubt it.

Not sure why Apple discontinued it initially - but later on it's clear... Apple was spread too thin and was hemorraging money...

As for Apple getting back into the consumer market for digital cameras... I think not... there are some damn good digital cameras out there - and they are being made by companies with far more experience in optics/imaging. I just don't think Apple can contribute very much to it... and it they did - it would be obsolete in a couple of months.

3. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    It'll happen, soon

If you listen to SJ very, very carefully, he gives out subtle hints about what is to come.

At MWSF, when he was doing the iPhoto demo, he made a very subtle point of showing everyone the pictures being imported over USB.

At the end of MWSF, he stated that they aren't done, yet. They have alot more ideas. He said it very quickly and it almost went unnoticed by the attendees because they were clapping about something else.

What did Apple do with iPod.... HD/FireWire! They are the only ones to have it.

What can Apple easily do with a 4.x megapixel camera, or perhaps even more megapixels... HD/FireWire!

"Only on the MAC!" with iPhoto 2.

Where do you think something like this would be a big hit... nowhere else in the WORLD like Japan!

I think a new digital camera with HD and FireWire and fantastic resolution with iPhoto 2 will be announced in Japan.

Don't shoot me if I am wrong... but, isn't it just a little more than feasable?
  4. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    not going to happen... but

Its not going to happen but I would love to see a whole linup of Apple branded toys:

Digital Camra
    Digital Camcorder

I would get all of them !!
  5. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Right on target...the first one was the QuickTake 150, (their own design) followed by the rebranded Fuji, the QuickTake 200. I had them both, and at the time, it was amazing.

Now they're a dime a dozen. And I predict we won't see an Apple Digital Camera ever again. It's kind of unneccessary.

But I'm with evildead...IF they started making a slew of other electronics, I'd get 'em all.

Especially a PDA (ducking)
  6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

My elementary school had one of those quicktakes, and we all loved it. If Apple were to release a camera it would have to have FireWire (DUH) and have at least 3 to 4 mega pixels. But since Sony is out there with all the others I think it would be REALLY hard for it to catch on. iPod worked because MP3 players are still in thier infancy, and iPod was just ahead of the curve so it made perfect sense and worked. As for cameras they have been aroud for 150 years(not digital ones mind you) but these companies KNOW how to make cameras, they have the experience. I would stay with iPod and keep it goin cause this is a device that is here to stay. A camera would be nice, but it won't last long.

Not all who wander are lost.
  7. rekras macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2001
    I totally agree Arn, and I've never heard or seen this quicktake unit, why doesnt Apple-history have stuff like that on it. Someone should make an apple site with long forgotten gismos like that for mac fans to check out!:eek:
  8. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001

here it is... original quicktake

9. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Any idea when it was made? Or Megapixels? (prolly less than 1) Looks cool... I also agree that we need a site that has other Apple gizmos... rocks, but what about newton? this camera? that one tv top box? the blue box? hehehe
  10. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    The resolution was 320x240 or 640x480.

It was announced on Feb 17, 1994. Here's a good page on it - announced at MacWorld Tokyo 1994.

For every Newton ever created, see (Newton Collector) - an old site of mine.

11. Abominog macrumors member

Jan 31, 2002
    Hell A., California
    I just saw someone selling one of those Apple cameras on the LEM swaplist. I don't know if it's still available.
  12. Pepzhez macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    The market is already glutted with plenty of fine digital cameras from each and every reputable camera manufacturer - all of whom have much more marketing muscle than Apple. It would therefore not make much sense for Apple to try and enter this field. No void to be filled there.

What Apple should do, however, is create and market a consumer device that is a set top DVD/CD/QT player/recorder, utilizing all available codecs for QuickTime, particularly the new MPEG-4 codecs. No one else is doing this, and this would be THE killer consumer hardware product Apple could push! The firmware and codecs can be easily upgradable, ala ipod. Talk about the center of a digital hub!

Would be a much sought-after item by many who don't own Macs ... yet.
  13. Abominog macrumors member

Jan 31, 2002
    Hell A., California
    I generally agree with you on this point. but the same could have been said about Apple and another MP3 player. Of course, the iPod is doing pretty dern well.
  14. resm macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2002
    Apple Digital Camera

I have a Fuji FinePix 4900Zoom Digital Camera and its a fantastic Camera.
    But before I even knew how to use this model at its full potential.....the new FinePix 6800 I think it was, came on the market.

Unless Apple would start to produce digital cameras and be ready to come out with a new model as fast as they come out with new computers, it would not make sense to start with this game.
    There are far to many camera brands in the market and all of them have years of experience.

It's a bit more complicated to make a camera with the best of lenses and technic then a MP3 player like the iPod (I have one too and its great)

But a PDA based on a hard disk that would give it a memory capacity like the iPod that would make more sense and would be more in the line what Apple is doing.;)
  15. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    Aaaaahhhhh, the Quicktake

I was never lucky enough to have a Quicktake 2000 with that lovely LCD screen (that was AMAZING in those days) but I still have my 150. It is a SHOCKING thing; bulky and with TERRIBLE resolution but I still loved it. I remember when I had on I was still in school and I did off a 15 or 30 image set every day for a month depending on whether I wanted high or low res (I think it was 15 or 30 it could take). And I still have the lens you could clip on the front for close up shots with little markings on it for when you look through the view finder to line up the shot. The 3 AA batterys lasted hardly any time at all but since all these "bad" features were top of the pops at the time, I just LOVED it. If only I had a serial port, I would probably still use it as places where I would like to have a camera but likely hood of stealing is higher.

What I did always find interesting, though, was how you could take a shot from a button on the software. Never really understood the benifit of taking a shot from software instead of pushing the button.

I notice someone on eBay is getting $US97.97 for a QuickTake 200 but only half that is being offered for the 150.
  16. thecube84 macrumors member

Sep 12, 2001
    Digital Hub Continuation

I wouldnt be suprised if apple continued with their digital hub thing. You know, they have iApps to go with their iToys

iTunes - iPod Obviously
    iDVD - SuperDrive
    iMovie - ?????
    iPhoto - ?????

just my theory
  17. Biggles macrumors member

Feb 3, 2002

iPod worked because all other HD MP3 players basically sucked

iCam (a nice name....i like it) would not work because companies like Canon and Sony already make some kickass cameras that work for both windows and Mac OS. A Mac-only camera from an inexperienced company (in the optics field) would fail.
  18. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    Re: no

What about Apple's new found friendship with Sony? Maybe a little blast from the past with some rebranding?!
  19. bellboy macrumors member

Feb 5, 2002
    How about this?

Honestly, I can't see apple releasing a digital still or video camera.

However, with the success of the iPod, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that they will release something else.

perhaps something like this?
  20. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001

my computer teacher in 6th grade had one of those, i always wondered what it was
  21. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I guess the Quicktake explains that mysterious leather case with an Apple logo I once came across. It was too thick and narrow to be a newton case so I was baffled at the time.
  22. Timothy macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    No market niche...

You have to ask yourself...where is the hole in the market?

I can't find a hole in the digital camera market. I love my Canon G1, and my Canon Elura. There is nothing that Apple would bring to the market that would be specifically Apple.

I imagine they brought the Quicktake out because at that time, there was no one doing digital cameras (or very few) and apple wanted to help spur the market. But today, as others have said, there is an incredible range of cameras available: cheap, expensive, big, small, hi-res, lo-res, consumer, pro. And, most of these operate flawlessly with my mac already. There is no "problem" that needs solving, no unique angle that I can think of that Apple could take.

Now...back to the PDA ;-)
  23. rdhazrd macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2002
    In a smaller town in Wisconsin
    Um, I have a problem with your statements. The quicktake 150 was not the first digital camera, I have a quicktake 100 sitting here. And I highly doubt that 150 would come out before the 100. And yes the photos are small, but very clear. Just my two cents
  24. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    That is a good point.... someone buy this person a drink.

I really could not say which one I have, I will have to take a look next time I'm at home.

Did the 100 come with the close-up lens?
    Anyone remember the differences between the 100 an 150?
  25. Talon1138 macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2002
    digital videocamera with integrated iPod

Apple should Rebrand Canon GL1 (best “prosumer” digital video camera available in my opinion), but put a docking port for a new 10+ GB iPod so that it can record direct to the iPod’s HD or to miniDV tapes.

Sell it for $2000, or $2500 with 20 GB iPod.

While this is my dream machine, it would be too pricey for the average consumer, but I would be disappointed to see Apple put out anything lower-quality than something like the GL1. Definitely needs 3 CCDs

Also, if Apple wants to compete with Sony, why not form an alliance with Canon that makes even better lenses and already is a trusted and respected name?

Then, on a larger scale, the iPod can be plugged into a desktop or a fut set-top box for quick viewing of the files—plus, no need for dropout-succeptable tapes.