Apple Disables iTunes Plug-in

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chanoc, Nov 2, 2004.

1. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Well, looks like developers will have to update their iPod to iTunes transfer applications. I do not understand what the big deal is? Transfering from CD to iTunes is okay, but from iPod to iTunes is wrong - seems hypocrital to me.

link

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's because the RIAA was/is concerned about people using the iPod to transfer music between two people's computers. They assume that if you have the CD, you own it (HA! right.... :rolleyes: )

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

B*astards.......all of them.

Apple isn't better than any other company, as much as people here want to think of them as the good guys. They're not fighting for you, either.

But I really don't think there's much they can do about that. After all, it does go against certain laws and such relating to the music industry, and that's just the way it is. We all have to abide by such limitations, including Apple. Transferring music files using the iPod is still wrong under todays rules (in the US). That doesn't stop me from using the HDD portion to transfer files, but that can be used legitimately.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

It is my understanding that only this particular plug-in has been disabled. Other third party apps that transfer music from the iPod (or for that matter using the Terminal) should continue to work.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Note that the developer of this plugin agreed to an Apple License agreement to use the iTunes SDK to develop this plugin. The SDK agreement states that things like this cannot be developed with it. The developer is in breach of the agreement.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

phh! i use PodUtil for all my ipod to pc copying needs. :cool: wait, that still works right?

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

The way I see it, is that Apple isn't so much "against their customers" as much as they have to bow down to every whim of the RIAA as they basically control the future of online music stores (i.e. iTMS).

I won't pin this one on Apple. Unless of course, they are the hand that feeds the RIAA and they're doing things like this, but until then, I'll be placing blame on the RIAA.

For now however, any "rights" we may, or may not, have over our music is strictly governed by the moneybags of the RIAA.

8. Illmatic macrumors member

It has already been updated to work with iTunes 4.7 - As soon as I read the thread I got the new copy and was back up within minutes, so for those that use it just download the update.