Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EBSkater

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I was on iOS 5 beta 3 around 7-8 last night and it died on me (music was still playing though...but I can't get passed the screen - when I plugged into itunes it said to update)...I am in Canada...it would have been nice if they had given us some warning...I've been without my phone for the entire day...I don't think i'll be able to do a backup before I reinstall either...what a pain...

You realize that Apple tells you many times that you should NOT install betas on your mainstream devices. Your fault if you did.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
I paid for all the other expensive stuff that Apple put out, so I will just steal Lion. Apple has plenty of money, they don't need any more.

SEE HOW STUPID YOU SOUND?

How can you steal something that will eventually be free? The only reason Apple charge developers for iOS and OS X Betas and subsequent software is because the developers eventually make money from the applications they produce. I'm not a developer, and will never gain anything from my £2.50 ebay purchase, other than the ability to use iOS 5 Beta* for a few months before other members of the general public.

If these bogus devs want to sell slots thats their lookout but I will take advantage of it because I can.

Can I also say that I resent you calling me a thief.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
How can you steal something that will eventually be free? The only reason Apple charge developers for iOS and OS X Betas and subsequent software is because the developers eventually make money from the applications they produce. I'm not a developer, and will never gain anything from my £2.50 ebay purchase, other than the ability to use iOS 5 Beta* for a few months before other members of the general public.

If these bogus devs want to sell slots thats their lookout but I will take advantage of it because I can.

Can I also say that I resent you calling me a thief.

Just because it will eventually be free doesn't mean that it currently is free, in fact, it currently is NOT free. Currently, it costs $99 a year to gain access to. If you're using it without paying, then it's theft. Plain and simple. There is no fine line or anything, it's simple facts. Once it IS free, that'll change.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Just because it will eventually be free doesn't mean that it currently is free, in fact, it currently is NOT free. Currently, it costs $99 a month to gain access to. If you're using it without paying, then it's theft. Plain and simple. There is no fine line or anything, it's simple facts. Once it IS free, that'll change.

Fine line or not... You make it sound like I've stolen 10 billion pounds from a bank and stabbed innocent people on the way.

Consider your point received and accepted. I'm a thief and a bad bad person. I'm going to leave now, and probably cry myself to sleep (while browsing on my iPhone, currently running iOS 5).

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Just because it will eventually be free doesn't mean that it currently is free, in fact, it currently is NOT free. Currently, it costs $99 a year to gain access to. If you're using it without paying, then it's theft. Plain and simple. There is no fine line or anything, it's simple facts. Once it IS free, that'll change.

I thought the fee was to be able to submit apps onto the app store, cover the cost of hosting free apps etc.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This would be a waste of time for Apple to do. I would understand if iOS5 were going to be a paid upgrade for all users, but seeing that everyone with a compatible iPhone will have it for free in a matter of months, it is kind of a pointless hunt.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Yep.

Seems I recall a number of actual developers (what a concept) posting here weeks ago that this might in fact happen. And they got roundly dissed by many of you.

Those doggone legal Terms and Conditions. Guess they're there for a reason.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It's weird how some people have this craze for the newest thing.

This is great if Apple is cracking down on fake 'developers', it's called patience people. Just wait for the final build.

iTeo

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
It really doesn't matter. They should have known what they were getting into. And the developers broke their NDAs.

I agree that this should have happened a long time ago.

And what if they did not read the NDA agreement?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
HumanCentiPad.png

This happens.

gnagy

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
I'm sorry gnagy and I do share your disgust with people abusing the developer account, but this logic is so unbelievably flawed and ignorantly stated that it had to be brought up again. Not everyone starts from scratch when they choose to dip into the application development. With that said, some of us ALREADY have Apple systems and have had them long before developing apps. For you to say $1000 dollars to start a dev. account is not a lot of money makes you sound like an extremely naive individual who has only been associated with other well off people. "Junk" is subjective to the individual who feels that way, and if there were not "junk" applications then other individuals could not learn from those "junk" mistakes to provide more efficient, and higher ranked apps of the same type. I'm glad you are an app developer, but keep in mind YOU do not represent the masses and not everyone has the same ridiculous price point limit as yourself.

If you already own a mac when you decide to become a developer, you are fortunate. You also do not represent the masses. The fact that you have a mac doesn't make it any less cost prohibitive for people that only own windows computers.

A friend of mine actually just sent me an e-mail today, asking if the following would work for iOS development:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=223167950

Now, this friend of mine is a windows software engineer. I know that he has the money to pick up a real mac and start developing, but he feels that dropping $1k is too much.

The fact that the developer account is only $99 doesn't help him one bit. I do see your point, and agree somewhat. But if the goal is to make it super easy to get started, why even bother charging $99? That $99 charge is clearly not enough to discourage non-developers. Yet, the cost of a new mac is enough to discourage real developers.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I thought the fee was to be able to submit apps onto the app store, cover the cost of hosting free apps etc.

I'll try to list everything the fee grants you access to, to put it into perspective for the less moral:

• Put apps on the app store (for iOS devs)
  • Download beta versions of iOS (for iOS devs)
  • Download beta versions of Xcode
  • Download beta versions of Mac OS X (for mac devs)

That's what the $99 gives. If you do any of these things (and whatever else I forgot to mention), without paying $99 a year, then it's theft. I know it isn't a lot of money, but that doesn't change the facts.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
The macrumours redesign should have been black and white, just like everyone's worldview!

All I can say is that IF I am wrong by being so excited by Apples progress (and slightly obsessed with needing to see things for myself) then so be it.

We come here to discuss Apple products, learn (and sometimes wait for 'illegally' leaked images of iPhones, iPods, iPads, Macs, Keyboards and so on).

There is WAY to much grey in the world for black and white to stand a chance.

Happy Apple'ing!

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
I said this would happen back when iOS 5 B1 came out. I got laughed at and told to "lighten up."

This serves every last one of you right. I hope Apple throws the book at each of these devs who are leaking confidential information.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

yetanotherdave said:
have flagged the UDIDs associated with that dev account, thus making the iOS 5 device unusable.
That part is a lot of a dick move by apple. Fair enough suspending the account, but people on iOS5b this way are the people who are probably your most keen customers!

Or emotionally disturbed and pathetic.

I'm not sure what mental illness wOuld cause someone to install a beta like this.

nibbet

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008

You thought wrong.

yetanotherdave is right. you can code all you want for 4.3.4 now but you are unable to test on device or submit to the appsore with out paying for the dev account.

How ever Apple provides future releases as a courtesy to their developers to test their apps prior to release of new software. However this is also in Apples benifit as most of the software/apps will be compatiable day one when the new os is release to the public

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom
I have an iPad 2 3G that I use for developing iPad apps.

I forgot to update it to Beta 3, and just left it just charging on the side for the last week or so as I didn't compile any new code in the last week, anyway i've just realised its being reset to factory.

I have a small bit of data on there however, so I hope its still on there, but I wouldn't care if its gone, I have a backup.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or emotionally disturbed and pathetic.

I'm not sure what mental illness wOuld cause someone to install a beta like this.

that's how you classify mental illness! are you a therapist struggling for clients?

/checks the DSM, nope, installing beta software isn't in there.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Dude, you scared me. That NDA law or rules is for the developers, and them only. they would lose their spot and get kicked out of the programs. that would mean i lose upgrading the betas.

Just to explain this, as there is a lot of confusion: There are NDAs, and there are trade secrets. Breach of an NDA is just breach of contract; revealing or stealing a trade secret can be criminal. Details of iOS5 are a trade secret. The fact that Apple only gives iOS5 to developers who sign an NDA means it stays a trade secret. Trade secret laws apply to you just as much as to any developer.

Developers enter a binding contract. If they don't read it, their fault. The NDA is just as binding. For revealing trade secrets, they "knew or should have known" that iOS5 is a trade secret.

nibbet

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
I said this would happen back when iOS 5 B1 came out. I got laughed at and told to "lighten up."

This serves every last one of you right. I hope Apple throws the book at each of these devs who are leaking confidential information.

A dev providing a UDID slot is/is not providing access to the confidential information.

I knew two people who sold slots.
1 provided slots only the other sold slots and uploaded the beta firmwares.

The one who uploaded the firmwares had his account revoked. The one providing the slots did not.

So these devs that are being revoked are they providing the software or just the slots.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Update noted. However your front page discussion of beta license resales have brought public light on a heretofore tolerated practice by Apple which this discussion might change in and of itself.

I have no dog in the fight but find it interesting how many aspects of free-market unregulated (unenforced) behavior are under duress right now.

End prohibition. Let the walled garden co-exist with it. Somehow.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.