Apple Discontinues Xserve, Only Available Until January 31st

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As noted by MacGeneration, Apple has announced it will be discontinuing the Xserve as of January 31, 2011. The note appears on Apple's site and links to a PDF titled "Xserve Transition Guide". In the guide, Apple explains that they will not be developing a future version of the Xserve.
    The two alternative server solutions include the Mac Pro with Snow Leopard Server and the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server. Apple provides transition considerations for customers migrating from the Xserve to these products.

The Xserve was Apple's rackmount line of Mac servers which was first introduced in May, 2002. Apple has kept up with mostly annual updates to the line. The last update for Xserve was April, 2009.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Xserve, Only Available Until January 31st

2. macrumors member

R.i.p.

3. macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

Best time for "Apple is doomed" comments.

4. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

They need too many for themselfs for the new DC

5. macrumors 6502

And so it begins...within a few years if it doesn't run the closed environment of IOS it won't be available.

Perhaps the new Air and Lion is to get people used to the transition...:D

6. macrumors 6502a

Back to the Mac, hey? Yeah, right.

7. macrumors regular

Strangely saddening

The end of an era - this made me feel quite sad. The X-Serve was an awesome bit of hardware and although it made a lot of noise it meant that Apple at least had a toe-hold in hte enterprise space. :(

8. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well.... it shows that computers isn't Apple's priority. :mad:

9. macrumors 6502

qubex

Does anyone know if Lion (10.7) has been announced in a Server release or is Apple completely pulling out of that market?

Does this mean they're embracing the idea of virtualizing Server on generic hardware?

10. Guest

AAPLaday

Its not a consumer device and thats what Apple sells the most of.

11. macrumors member

Did anyone actually buy these? I haven't heard of anyone using them.

12. macrumors 603

mrkramer

They are continuing to sell the mac mini server so I'd assume that means that Lion will have a server release. I think this just shows that Apple is working more on focusing on the consumer market.

13. macrumors 68020

peskaa

Nooooo :(

I manage a bank of 20 Xserves at work, and I love them. We were waiting on a refresh to update them all as well. Telling me to replace with Mac Pros simply doesn't work - wrong form factor, no redundancy.

Boo hiss.

14. macrumors 601

Phil A.

I think it shows that the enterprise space isn't Apple's priority: Their biggest market is the consumer one and it appears they will move to focus completely on that market in the future.

It's sad but understandable as Apple have virtually no penetration into the enterprise space and rather than fight to win market share they appear to have given up the battle.

15. macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

End of an era. That is all.

16. macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I can't even begin to imagine the pricing on these things.

17. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Goodbye enterprise.

Starting at $3,000

18. macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Boo hiss is right. But c'mon, you must have seen it coming?

Just lie back, take a breath and think of all those little Minis and how many you can cram into your cupboard.

19. macrumors 68040

Sad but serves them right.

The problem is pretty simple if you are going to sell a 1U server it needs either a low price or compelling performance. XServe had neither. The other problem is that being in the server business means having a line of suitable hardware. Again Apple has nothing but an overpriced 1U server.

What is really bothersome is that apparently Apple never tried to build business class hardware nor market such properly. At the very least they should have had one set up in every store.

20. macrumors 603

Stella

Been expecting this and now unfortunately this has happened.

OS/X will eventually become a consumer only platform. Even for some developers, OSX is becoming less attractive, with Java now gone and absolutely no hints to whether Oracle will pick up the slack.

I wonder how long until Apple removal access to the Terminal?

21. macrumors regular

4D4M

WHAT?? Were you asleep during the MacBook Air keynote the other day?

22. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The issue is that Mini's have a non-standard form factor, as well as 2.5" HDD's that are non-user upgradable. They're not designed in any sense of the word for server racks.

23. macrumors 68040

Apple wont be running OS X on their new servers. They will be running Linux - just like Microsoft do.

OS X = Built for DESKTOP/USER use (quick & dirty patch = OS X Server)
    Linux = Built for SERVER use (quick & dirty patch = desktop/user os)

Linux does have its uses, and its in servers where it shines.

24. macrumors 68040

A big leap here.

If you continue to make great leaps into blue air like this one day you will leap over a cliff. A manufacture dropping a product that doesn't sell does not imply they are moving to a totally closed system.
    What transition? Do you have any idea at all about what you are talking about. The AIRs are compact laptops, and do not run iOS. I really don't think you have a grasp of what Back to the Mac was all about.

Dave

25. macrumors 6502a

i think they finally got the clue, it's not selling b/c no one gives a <bleep> how nice it looks hidden in a rack or colo.

hehe. ;)

doubt it, their DC is probably modeled after Google's - for ultra efficiency.

+1, what he said.