Apple display as a tv... possible?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mymemory, Mar 17, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, how do I do that? I have my 20" connected to a 12" powerbook so there is no chance of any PCI card.

I have a firewire capture device and I can connect the VCR to it but I do not know about any software.

Does anybody can give me "lights" about it?

2. briankonar macrumors regular

$1700 to make a 20 inch cinema display act as a TV? why not just buy a 20" LCD TV? seems like a little bit of overkill if you ask me.

3. kenaer macrumors newbie

4. punkmac macrumors regular

Cinema Display as TV...

This is brings me to the question I was going to ask. Can a Cinema Display use a signal from an HDTV converter box with DVI out?

This would be worth the cost to me for the 23" CD. An HDTV that can actually display all the lines of resolution of an HD image!

You can also input other analog signals into the box for upconversion.

I.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

This is what I am wondering as well. Can I just get a ADC to DVI converter from apple and hook the display directly into the DVI out of the HDTV tuner box. Will this work, If so I would use my Cinema as my primary TV and ditch my old one.

Someone out there has to know, I searched for a while on google and could not find any information that helped me with this.

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i'd venture to guess yes, since people have had luck using the DVI-Output on their computer connected directly to a TV's DVI-Input. I would imagine it would work in reverse, although you would need a converter, as well constantly be switching the connection between Mac and TV.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Or you could buy a DVI-Switch to do the job. (I've never used one of these--just did a Google search and found out they exist.)

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You only need a converter for ADC Cinema displays. The original version had DVI. Can't say I have either of these :(

I don't see why it shouldn't work.