Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Thailand
Anyone hearing anything about an upgraded version of the Apple Displays that has new hardware features to combat many of the problems associated with previous version, like Magenta color casts in the 23"......

Are they perhaps about to release a version with remote and build in isight?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My guess is that the release will coincide with Mac Pro (or whatever replaces current PowerMac G5), or even possibly with new Mac mini.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I would expect a monitor refresh (pun intended) sooner rather than later. The new 20" iMac has a better display in it than the current Apple displays, so since Apple already has improved technology, I would say an update is imminent. And I don't think Apple will necessarily wait until the Intel PowerMacs are released at the end of the year to release the displays as well. Just my opinion of course. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Sharewaredemon said:
Great!

I could see them releasing them sometime around when the MacBook Pro's start shipping...

Agreed, I was thinking sometime this spring as well. Waiting until the Conroe/Woodcrest machines come out would be too long, even taking into account Intel's supposed "ahead of schedule" schedule. :cool:

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
I could see them releasing them sometime around when the MacBook Pro's start shipping...

~Shard~ said:
Agreed, I was thinking sometime this spring as well.

Springtime, yes. To tie in with release of the Mac mini (which I expect in time for the US academia order placements in March/April) rather than the MacBook, though.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mdavey said:
Springtime, yes. To tie in with release of the Mac mini (which I expect in time for the US academia order placements in March/April) rather than the MacBook, though.

Yep - that and the new Intel iBook as well. :)

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Verto said:
I wouldn't bet on the iSight being built into the Apple Displays.

You wouldn't? I would. With some kind of clever switching between cameras as you move iChat (or whatever) from one display to the next. Those little cameras don't cost much at all and are an easy way to add value and differentiate from similar offerings by Samsung, Benq, Dell, etc.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Verto said:
I wouldn't bet on the iSight being built into the Apple Displays.

I would. :cool:

It makes sense. As Apple revamps their computer line, we are seeing iSights and FrontRow being included with their new machines. To follow suit, I see the new displays havnig built-in iSights as well. After all, if all new Macs are having built-in iSights on a go-forward basis, how much sense would it make for every Mac except the PowerMac, the premium luxury Mac if you will, not to have one? You can't build one into the tower, so what option would PowerMac users have to use this? The answer - iSight built into their nice new Apple display. :cool:

Eldentistfuturo

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Houston
The same reason why the powermac is the only one that doesnt come with bluetooth and airport built in, even though it is suppose to be top of the line.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
I keep seeing people mentioning the update of the Mac Mini and the iBook this spring. Does this mean the Mac Pro Tower is gonna be held off until Fall?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
macgeek2005 said:
I keep seeing people mentioning the update of the Mac Mini and the iBook this spring. Does this mean the Mac Pro Tower is gonna be held off until Fall?

Yeah. The new Intel desktop/server processors (Conroe and Woodcrest respectively) aren't due until the second half of the year. The iBook replacement and the Mac mini replacement will be based on the laptop chips that already exist (unless Apple go with a Core Solo in which case it will be a month or two before they come out ie. this Autumn in April) so they will most likely be released first.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
macgeek2005 said:

Yep. Due to the schedule for Conroe/Woodcrest, and since there are still many Pro apps which need to be transitioned for the Pro users, Apple will not release the new PowerMacs until late in the year - along with the Xserves, they will undoubtedly be the last Macs to go Intel. Looks for a speed bump to the dual core G5 PowerMacs @ WWDC, then the Intel machines later in the year. :cool:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
This really confused me, until I remembered you live in Australia....

:D

Yup, it's a long hot summer down here at the moment. 40°C in Sydney's western suburbs today and 47°C in western NSW.

Betya those temps would sound odd for February.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Chundles said:
Yup, it's a long hot summer down here at the moment. 40°C in Sydney's western suburbs today and 47°C in western NSW.

Betya those temps would sound odd for February.

We just had the warmest January on record here - the average temperature was about 0 Celsius. :eek: :p

But I know what you mean - I backpacked throughout Australia from November-January a few years back, and it was stupidly hot - especially in the Outback from Darwin to Katherine and down to Alice Springs. :cool:

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
Chundles said:
Yeah. The new Intel desktop/server processors (Conroe and Woodcrest respectively) aren't due until the second half of the year. The iBook replacement and the Mac mini replacement will be based on the laptop chips that already exist (unless Apple go with a Core Solo in which case it will be a month or two before they come out ie. this Autumn in April) so they will most likely be released first.

So the Intel Tower proccesors will be faster than the ones currently in the iMac? (conroe and woodcrest).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
macgeek2005 said:
So the Intel Tower proccesors will be faster than the ones currently in the iMac? (conroe and woodcrest).

Oh yeah - the iMac processors are only 32-bit Yonah chips. The real Intel chip everyone is waiting for is Merom, which is 64-bit - that's really what this whole Intel transition is about - Yonah is merely a warm-up, a stepping stone. :p :cool: Merom is Intel's new portable chip solution, which will ultimately go into the MacBook Pro, and probably the iMac as well eventually. Conroe and Woodcrest are the desktop and server (respectively) solutions which are based off Merom, and will make their way into the PowerMac and Xserve. Then eventualy the Conroe will filter down into the iMac, but the next iMac will most likely have a Merom chip in it as I said above. The iBooks will get the single core variant of the Yonah for starters, and eventually end up with Merom as well, but not for quite a while yet. Merom will eventually end up in the mini as well, but it will be Yonah for starters. Apple may use the performance edition of the Yonah as well for the mini, (or the iBooks eventually for that matter), tough to say. Keep in mind Yonah and Merom are pin-compatible as well. :cool:

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I'm relatively new to the Mac world (basically since Macworld 2005) anyway, I have some ideas for the new displays (obviously just dreams but good ideas imo.)

First of all make it a touch screen. Not everyone needs to use that function, but to drag and drop pictures, drags windows etc. With the size of these displays, you an even use menu functions.

Second - Put in an isight. Not just the regular ones either, maybe hidef, or something closer than what it is now. Instead of that ugly black box at the top of the screen, incorporate it into the Apple logo, the functional part of the camera can be the middle of the apple, with the stem just a black mark above it (maybe it can be an indicator light).

Third, Make the new display EDGE LESS. Sony has done it before, and it looks gorgeous. It makes the screen look endless and REALLY clean. instead of the metal framework around, give it a glass (or plexi glass) thin cover and use the same on the back. Between the layers can be a black rim what is wrapped closely to the screen (unnoticable) with all the USB etc and power buttons.

I have been wanting a 30 inch for some time, but they can up the resolution now, I'd REALLY love LED backlight throughout for better colors and life. But this is my wishlist, so I can mention it.

Any opinions?

Peyton

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
allexsimmons said:
The same reason why the powermac is the only one that doesnt come with bluetooth and airport built in, even though it is suppose to be top of the line.

It's only a matter of time before this becomes standard equipment. I was somewhat puzzled to see that it was not included in the newest round of Dual and Quad Core PowerMacs.

I'm sure bluetooth and airport will become standard when the PowerMac becomes whatever it is to become, including iSights built into the Apple Displays. It only makes sense. Apple is trying to quicken the adaptation of video conferencing technology. It has been around for quite some time, but never this good, and never this cheap.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
all that i actually hope for...

is a better QC for apple displays
no more pink cast, no more dead pixels / stuck pixels
i have just realised that buying an apple display is the most stressful purchase i have ever made with apple

no power mac, xserve, iPod or macBook Pro order need so much luck as to buy an Apple Display

no one knows if you are going to get many green stuck pixels and pink cast this time round... despite getting the display new (not refurbished)

also... maybe up 20" to 21" so that it is HD
and 23" to 24"
and lower the price for the 30" display

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Zoowatch said:
all that i actually hope for...

is a better QC for apple displays
no more pink cast, no more dead pixels / stuck pixels
i have just realised that buying an apple display is the most stressful purchase i have ever made with apple

no power mac, xserve, iPod or macBook Pro order need so much luck as to buy an Apple Display

no one knows if you are going to get many green stuck pixels and pink cast this time round... despite getting the display new (not refurbished)

also... maybe up 20" to 21" so that it is HD
and 23" to 24"
and lower the price for the 30" display

That is strange that you have had that problem with stuck/dead pixels in Apple displays.

Usually, Apple has either none or only a couple of dead/stuck pixels upon shipping, as they use high quality parts. Of all the Apple products I have bought, I have never had a stuck or dead pixel. I have had two PowerBooks and two iMac G5's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.