Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of Safari 3.1, Apple has started pushing Safari to Windows iTunes users. This new distribution method offers all Windows iTunes users the option of installing Safari 3.1 even if they have never installed Safari before. Apple confirmed this to Information Week:
"We are using Software Update to make it easy and convenient for both Mac and Windows users to get the latest Safari update from Apple,"
While the practice has generated some debate, ZDNet points out that Apple previously announced this plan at WWDC in 2007:
"Jobs said that Apple plans to use iTunes as a distribution vehicle for Safari for Windows. He noted that there are a million downloads of iTunes a day, with 500 million of those [having gone to] Windows machines."

Article Link

wymer100

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2002
I wish Apple would do this service with other mac software. I'd love to see iTunes as a "steam"-like mac gaming distribution store.

Also, why can't you buy iPods through the iTunes store? I got several iTunes gift certificates from Christmas. I need a new iPod more than new music. It'd be great to order them with the gift certificates.

skyline1999

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
500 Million Windows Users?

If there are 1 million downloads a day, how can there be 500 million iTunes for Windows downloads in the same timeframe?

Zukum

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
A million iTunes downloads per day, with 500 million of them going to windows users?

What?

Dang, you beat me. Impressive - 500 million itunes downloads a day to windows machines. That's like 2 downloads for every American every day.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
A million iTunes downloads per day, with 500 million of them going to windows users?

What?

1 million/day. and historically 500 million iTunes Windows. better/direct quote

http://cybernetnews.com/2008/03/20/apple-pushes-safari-update-on-windows/

Well, it turns out, there are over 1 million downloads of iTunes a day. As a matter of fact, there have been over a half a billion downloads of iTunes to Windows Machines. Over half a billion. And so we know how to reach these customers and we are going to do exactly that.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I second the motion...

I wish Apple would do this service with other mac software. I'd love to see iTunes as a "steam"-like mac gaming distribution store.

Also, why can't you buy iPods through the iTunes store? I got several iTunes gift certificates from Christmas. I need a new iPod more than new music. It'd be great to order them with the gift certificates.

and especially with the proposal to get free access to unlimited downloads for a set price per month; this will probably eliminate the use of the iTunes cards and have a debit/credit card automatic deduction capability. :cool:

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
This seems shady to me. People think they're just installing iTunes, but now Apple is piggy-backing more stuff to the install. It's bad enough they have to do it with Quicktime.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dang, Apple. That's impressive.

I agree though, iTunes would make a great distribution vehicle for Apple software, particularly on the Windows side. On the Mac it's not needed as much thanks to Software Update.

On another note, despite my comments above, I rated this a negative. Why? The reason is that I do not like having software pushed to me unless I consent to it. I suspect other users may feel the same way.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
This seems shady to me. People think they're just installing iTunes, but now Apple is piggy-backing more stuff to the install. It's bad enough they have to do it with Quicktime.

Eh? iTunes needs Quicktime to work. Without it you wouldn't hear the music or see the video. iTunes is the management app, Quicktime does all the playback.

Nothing wrong with Quicktime, not going to hurt a Windows machine anyway.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
On another note, despite my comments above, I rated this a negative. Why? The reason is that I do not like having software pushed to me unless I consent to it. I suspect other users may feel the same way.

well, it's not really "pushing" in that they ask you if you want to install Safari 3.1. So you can say "no" and get on with your day.

arn

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
Dang, Apple. That's impressive.

I agree though, iTunes would make a great distribution vehicle for Apple software, particularly on the Windows side. On the Mac it's not needed as much thanks to Software Update.

so don't install it. pretty simple really.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
This is the trend in software .....

For better or for worse, other companies have been doing this for quite a while now. Ever try downloading the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows? The web site immediately selects other stuff like Google Toolbar or "Adobe Photoshop Album, Starter edition" as part of the download. You have to uncheck an item to ensure you're downloading a stand-alone Adobe Reader install package.

Personally, I don't really care for it when the *default* is to install the optional stuff. I think what Apple's doing is a little less obnoxious than the way Adobe is doing it.

well, it's not really "pushing" in that they ask you if you want to install Safari 3.1. So you can say "no" and get on with your day.

arn

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i think it is time for apple to rename "iTunes" and/or iTunes store, now that they use "iTunes" for every type of digital media they are selling or in this case media player or browser.

R0913R

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
I remember the first time I saw an Apple Software update message on PC, I was like, no way Apple would give out a message like this with the poorly designed interface. I remember thinking is was some kind of phony thing. But I think it's a perfectly legitimate way to spread the safari.

Anyway, I'm not yet convinced on Safari 3.0. I'm so used to Firefox now.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What's so shady about this.

The only way to get into the iTunes store is through iTunes, so doesn't it make sense that the iTunes store, which is a download service, be used as the method to update the technology which allows you into the store?
Yes - except that the iTunes store doesn't use the same WebKit library Safari for Windows uses, oddly enough. If it did, this theory would make a LOT of sense. iTunes for Windows uses its own internal HTML renderer.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

arn

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks this is BS? It's Software Update, not Software Update with Banner Ads.

This makes Apple no better than any other annoying software that riddles you with pop-ups. And remember, many of the people that will be affected are moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas who will see this pop up and will confuse the hell out of them. This tactic is on par with Microsoft, yet you guys seem to think just because Apple's doing it makes it OK.

Big thumbs down, Apple.

Besides, as long as Safari is without some kind of add-on system, it will never be able to truly compete with Firefox (which is why its gaining so much market share in the first place).

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
They said it was an "option" to install Safari so that is great. When I hear things like this I think of my girlfriend who is a Windows user, but knows all about my love for :apple:. She sees me with my computer, knows about the stories, and was here when I made the switch. Either way, getting Safari exposed to her and letting her play with it will be nothing but good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.