Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I thought I would start this post to talk about the one lagging part of apple as I see it, which is distribution. R&D is great, they have the demand, but apple is consistantly dropping the ball when it comes to supply. First off, the iPod mini is unexistant in stores, the wait time is 4 weeks online, and I can only pray that apple will fix this soon. I can let the iMac slide, because it has been in supply, and its not really there fault. These new iPods better have some great supply, because if they turn out to be another mini, Apple is doomed. The emac is out of supply at distributers, thought the online store seems to have a good supply. I blame the education demand for this. Now onto the new stuff. The apple displays have been trickeling out, but with the demand they have apple should rev up production on the whole line. Airport express had 80,000 pre orders, you would think apple might want to make these aviable. Someof up have gotten them, but they aren't in stores and Apple better be banking on a huge demand for these things for a while. I love you Apple, but I hate how can't do this.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
iPod mini is constrained by Hitachi's ability to manufacture the microdrives used in them so this too is not Apple's fault.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....As I said in one of the iPod threads (don't recall which one - there are so many now!) - I do not think supply will be a problem with the new iPods. The hold up with the mini was/is the drives which are in short supply. The new pods are using the same drives as before (I believe) so we should see them in plentiful supply. But when they announce the 60GB version that most believe is coming there may be some supply problems in the beginning as this is a new drive just coming to market. But I agree with what you are saying - Apple does need to fix the problem of announcing things and then missing target dates for shipping - they should not announce until they are *really sure* they can deliver...oh yeah!

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
When is Airport Express coming out in stores??? I can't stand waiting for it any more :(. Does anyone have an idea when they'll come in?

JOD8FY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.