Apple Doesn't Rock

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by KentuckyApple, Sep 22, 2003.

1. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Since Apple's shipping debacle on August 29, my order was due to ship on or before today (9/22). I must admit, i was very skeptical. Well, i was right in my thinking. This afternoon my date got pushed back another three weeks to 10/14. Apple most certainly does not rock (this week).

2. Waluigi macrumors 6502

My order is still schedualed to ship on or before 9/25. If it doesn't ship then, Apple will never hear the end of it from me, that is, until they throw some money at me in an attempt to shut me up!

I feel you pain though, I went through the same thing a year ago when I ordered a Gateway 700XL from Gateway...then told me 2 weeks, and they kept pushing the ship date back, and it took 2 months!

--Waluigi

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im sorry to hear, but welcome to the world of apple. if you want your products fast you gotta order non customized models, what exactly did you order.

iJon

4. KentuckyApple thread starter macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

re:

Dual 2ghz w/out superdrive and w/ 9800 pro.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It is a common misconception here are macrumors that apple is perfect.

I hope the apple community treats this the same as if it happened in the PC community.

It just seems like Mac people tend to blow PC problems out of porportion. For example if the G5 case was used for a PC 98% of the people at this site would say it was ugly, but since it is apple-made 72% like it.

That annoys me. The people who would support anything from apple are the people who support apples production of bad products (like the G5 case). These are often the people that don't give PC's a chance, too. This also annoys me. If they weren't so biased they could probably enjoy PCs.

I know that I am obsessed with both platforms.... I can say that I am totally unbiased (when it comes to the computer world) and they both have advantages.

Sorry for making this post so long and relatively off topic, but this has become a vent for me. Unfairness just pisses me off.

scem0

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'll agree with Scem0. I've said some similar things in the past. ;)

This "shipping" problem will happen with any company that introduces a new hyped-up, sweet ass machine that lots of people have been waiting for, and not just Apple.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To me, its the US Department of Homeland Security. My iPod has been sitting in a Customs Hanger for 6 days. One more, and I'll have my very obnoctious, Chief Petty Officer Father make a phone call to the local senator, congressman, and Govenor and we'll see how much longer it takes.

Apple Rules, US Customs Does Not.

TEG

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah:
    New Model +
    Top of the Line New +
    CUSTOMIZING +
    Removing Superdrive +
    Better video card

=

Long wait...

You customized man...

I would be expecting a long wait.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

He's been waiting for longer than just 'long'.

I think apple should have waited to release the G5. I don't want to wait months on end to get my computer when I get it.

scem0

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i don't know, i think i would rather hear some people complaining about having to wait for their computer more than hearing almost everyone complain about how long it has been since the last update and apple is dissappointing them because there are no newer/faster machines. at least this way people can see that the technology is ready.

re: design of the new powermac... i agree with you that people may have an apple-bias, but the new look is starting to grow on me. especially after having seen it in person - it looks much nicer than it does in pictures. except that's it's so big...

12. panphage macrumors 6502

Oh good lord people, it's just not that big. Yes, it's a good deal larger than the G4 cases, but those cases were tiny. Anyone who's lived in the PC world is used to bigger cases, the G5 is pretty average to me. It has the handles that make it *look* bigger and technically take up more space, but it's not like the working area of the case is monstrous. Try looking into a full tower sometime. THAT'S a BIG case.

My windows machine that I leave around for looking at websites in IE and Netscape on windows is a Coolermaster 210c, a Mid-Tower:
    7.72" Wide
    17.8" High
    20.47" Deep

Power Mac G5 Case:
    8.1" Wide
    20.1" High
    18.7" Deep

I am assuming that includes the handles? Wouldn't it have to? If it includes the handles the G5 is actually smaller in two of the three dimensions.

The G5 is less than 1/2 inch wider than my current case, about 2.5" higher, and 1.75" LESS deep than my current, average sized mid-tower case. My case is pretty cramped with ata cables and such like, then again, it has room for four 5" drives and four 2.5" drives. I use exactly one 5" slot and two 2.5" slots, one of which houses a floppy just for kicks. So the G5 wouldn't be a big step up in size for me, nor would the lack of drive space bother me. I'm just lucky, I guess.

Now, on the Apple side, my work machine is 8"w X 8"d X 10"h. It's also elegant, silent, and I love it. The G5 would be a BIG step up in size from my darling cube, but I'm betting the performance kills my 450Mhz on a 100Mhz FSB. :(

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't think it is ugly because of its size though...

scem0

14. panphage macrumors 6502

And I can respect that. I happen to like it myself. Aesthetic differences are a part of life. I just get sick of everyone parroting "It's SO BIG" like the thing is the Monolith from 2001. It's just one of those misconceptions that replicates itself by somehow capturing mindshare. As Bill Bourroughs always said, language is a virus, and this seems to be one of those especially virulent memes.

15. yujini macrumors member

I actually like the G5 case more than the powermac g4 cases.
    And I am not a mac fanatic.

16. soakwashrinse macrumors member

I like the design of the G5, and I don't even own a Mac (yet). It's subtle and refined, contemporary, perhaps a bit snooty--the first thoughts that came to mind when I saw it were 'New York loft' and 'Prada'. Not to everyone's taste I can appreciate--but I get the general impression it's starting to grow on people.

17. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

If i was biased, why would i have A+ and MCSE/MCSA in Windows 2000?

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Please dont take this as a stupid comment but i really think it is better for the hardware to show itself and then go to the store and take it home with you. when you are on the cutting edge of new hardware this is someties part of the cost you pay. you hope they have done their homework as in no rev b. when was the last time that happened?

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was not pointing fingers at anyone.

I'm just saying there are a lot of people making unfair judgments against PCs.

I can also respect this.

But I know for a fact that if that case had a pentium in it and had Windows XP 72% would say it was but ugly, when 72% say they like it (According to a poll here on MR).

I'm not pointing any fingers - I just know that that is the case.

scem0