Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I thought Apple did not donate anything to anyone? Didn't Steve Jobs end all of that in 1997? That is what I was told in the original Apple/Sandy thread...

Shame the money didn't go to a much more deserving causes.

You rank disasters?

I think it's wonderful that they're donating. But 2.5 Million seems like pocket change. How about 50 million?

Why not $500 million?

How about you not judge what others give? We do not know what else Apple is donating to other causes. And it is a company, their job is to make money, the shareholders would not be happy if they spend all their liquid assets on donations. Their may be a reason it is 2.5 million instead of 2 million or 3 million (that half million is not much of a difference to such a large company, but there may be certain factors we do not know about that helped them set that amount)

Last edited:

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
How much did you give? If you make $100,000 I hope you gave at least 1% to the same cause. Why is this only on Apple? If every corporation gave the same percentage, they could rebuild New York at no cost to the state or country. You want Apple to flip the whole bill?
People who complain like you, are unbelievable.
Be glad they gave a dime. No one is obligated to give, not even you Markiie.
By the way, if Sharp goes under, there won't be enough companies to help make their screens. I don't think it was a giveaway, they probably received something in return.

This is disgusting. 2.5 million for a company that has 100 plus BILLION in CASH! All you people saying its nice of apple have no logic for money and how much apple is really worth. You are talking about one of the biggest disasters in US History and apple throws a little 2.5 million dollar check on the table and says "ok we did our part"

Like someone mention earlier this is pennies. It's almost sad in the sense that most of the people who were effected own apple products and the best apple can do is 2.5 million? Yet they spent 3 BILLION to bail out Sharp a non US company?

Sorry guys you won't find a bigger fan of their products as me but their business motto and how they are starting to operate is really getting annoying.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
In case anyone cares to know...information about the Red Cross and how the money is used.
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/human-services/american-red-cross-in-washington-dc-679/financial

Some people don't like the Red Cross. That's fine. It's who Apple chose to make their donation through. If you make a donation, you're free to choose a different organization. I still don't understand all the animosity on this thread, and it makes me sad. Whether you think it was enough or not, it doesn't change the fact that the $2.5 million will go to help people who are in desperate need right now. Instead of complaining that someone didn't give enough, why don't you go make a donation yourself? Or go volunteer in your community. If people spent less time complaining and more time actually doing things to help improve their city, state, country, etc. we'd all be much better off than we are now. But complaining is easy. Actually taking action? That's a bit harder for most people.

CK1Czar

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
Some people in this thread are killing me. Who cares how much money Apple has in the bank? They didn't have to give a dime but they did.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Would have been hilarious if they donated $2.5 million in iTunes giftcards.

LMAO! :D Sadly your comment is humorous, whereas, the government through FEMA tells the people to find all the appropriate and important information on the internet! Uh, idiots in government, we have no ELECTRICITY!!! :eek:

Reading these comments I now understand why the country re-elected Obama. Scary.

His first term was OTJ. The second term, President Mulligan, given a do over! As Michelle Obama would say, 'For the first time in my adult life, I have never been more ashamed of my country.' </election-rant>
/
/
/

Last edited:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

Like what? Starving children in Africa? :rolleyes:
What exactly qualifies as a worthy cause to you? I would like to hear from you and everyone who upvoted your post. What's a shame is that people like you exist in this world. And i don't care if i get timed out for that.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
How about you not judge what others give? We do not know what else Apple is donating to other causes. And it is a company, their job is to make money, the shareholders would not be happy if they spend all their liquid assets on donations. Their may be a reason it is 2.5 million instead of 2 million or 3 million (that half million is not much of a difference to such a large company, but there may be certain factors we do not know about that helped them set that amount)

My comment was sarcastic. Damn internet!

joshb111

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
If Apples net worth was represented as $500,000 then they gave about $2 out of that to Sandy Relief. Not much really.

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Apple Donates $2.5 Million to...

Or to put it another way... "Apple Donates approx 7 Minutes of Revenues to..." :eek:

Seriously though, Apple didn't have to donate anything, so even if it is pocket change (which it is), kudos to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.