Apple Donates $8 Million to Chinese Earthquake Victims

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a devastating earthquake that struck in Sichuan, China over the weekend, Apple has donated 50 million RMB or approximately $8 million to affected victims.

[​IMG]
    In addition to the donation, Apple has also updated the front page of its Chinese website to express its condolences and to offer schools in the area new Apple devices. Tech In Asia has a translation of the message:
    Donations during disasters are not uncommon for Apple, with the company previously offering relief money to victims struck by tragedy on several occasions.

Apple has had a strained relationship with China in recent months, after the company's iPhone warranty policies were highly criticized in the country, though the tensions were relieved in early April when Apple CEO Tim Cook wrote a letter to customers announcing changes to the warranty policy.

The earthquake, which measured between 6.6 and 7.0, struck the city of Ya'an in the Sichuan province on Saturday, causing hundreds of casualties and widespread destruction.

Article Link: Apple Donates $8 Million to Chinese Earthquake Victims

2. keysofanxiety, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

I wonder how many "well with Apple's millions, is this all they can donate?" comments we get. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Quite a lot, it seems.

3. macrumors regular

Good Gesture

4. macrumors 6502a

good gesture yes, but wth?? they donate more oversees than to domestic causes? its their money to do with as they wish, but really... smh...

5. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Well a win win I guess. Great for Apple's marketing and great for the earthquake relief.

6. macrumors newbie

In Chinese culture, the number 8 is a lucky number.

So cool beans.

7. macrumors newbie

"They help us make billions of dollars every year... yeah a fraction of a cent on the dollar should do..." - Apple

8. macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Call me cynical, but I think this is just to offset some of the heat they're facing in China.

Obviously a good use of their money though.

9. macrumors regular

Microsoft is way ahead in this charity game.. Just saying

10. macrumors 6502a

Good job, Apple. Help other countries when in need but don't help your own country when there's a disaster.:mad:

11. macrumors 65816

American's are always complaining...never enough...lol

12. macrumors regular

Great Job! Apple.

13. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Okay, lets see...
    Apple is wonderful for doing this! :)
    Apple is evil for not doing more! :mad:
    Did I cover everything?

14. macrumors 6502

Charity should not be a competition.

15. macrumors 6502

Makes me wonder why they never donate to...hmm... let say Ethiopia ;) , which by the way don't have that $$$godzilion$$$ sitting in their banks quite oppose to China

16. macrumors 68020

I knew reading these comments would be a bad idea, yet I just couldn't help myself.

Rather than picking them apart for what they haven't done, why not commend them for helping?

17. macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

8 million dollars is a lot of money, it will definitely help Chinese authorities find survivors and rebuild. Quit bashing Apple 24/7, it gets old.

18. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Shouldn't it have been $8,888,888 then? :/

19. macrumors 65816

Great job apple.

It's terrible when people hate you so much they bash the good you do as insufficient

20. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Cool to help but would be nice if it helped the people in America that need it lol

21. macrumors 603

Stella

A good gesture.

22. macrumors regular

There will undoubtedly be an onslaught of annoying people complaining that they should have given more. And what exactly have you given? (to those complaining that haven't given).

23. macrumors regular

I'm not bashing them for giving more. I only wonder whether or not they would have given any money to them at all if it weren't for the bad PR they are receiving from the Chinese national government right now. Trying to maintain a foothold in their #2 market. Kind of like the Dutch boy trying to keep his finger in the dam.

24. macrumors regular

Jeaz

You do realize that Apple is an international company with more revenue overseas than domestic.

Anyhow, good going Apple. You can always be cynical about why they do it, but I don't the people who gets aid in a dire situation really cares why, just that they get it.

25. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

way more important than the boston bombing just saying