Apple dropping edu prices on iPods?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mad jew, Apr 1, 2005.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can't find anything on the forums about this but I was in my local Apple reseller today (NextByte but it's practically an Apple Store for all intensive purposes) and the shop assistant was telling me about how they're dropping the education prices on iPods from April 4.

She already knew she had a sale so I don't think she was making it up and it was late in the afternoon so it most probably wasn't an April Fools joke. I was just wondering if this was a move by Apple and whether everyone (students & teachers) should stop procrastinating and start purchasing iPods before these deals finish.

Anyone heard anything about it?

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I haven't heard anything. Next time i go to my apple store i'll ask someone.

3. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I suppose it kinda makes sense since an iPod generally isn't as useful as a computer for a student/teacher so it's not really worth their while to continue with the discounts. Especially as their advertised prices are the standard ones so they're effectively giving us all a very generous discount with no real benefit for themselves other than attracting young people to the brand, which seems to be happening quite well as is.

If it's true, it's a shame. :(

4. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Would be a shame if they did get rid of the edu discount on the iPods. Do you reckon you could rename the title of this thread, because at the moment it suggests that Apple is going to make the price of the iPods cheaper by increasing the edu discount!

:)

5. qzak macrumors 6502

bad move

IF this is real and not an April Fools thing, then i say bad bad bad. Being a college student myself, i have to have my ipod when walking to and from class everyday. and when i do, i see tons of other students doing the same thing. ipods are certainly a great thing for students, especially ones going to a school with a large campus. and wouldn't the fact that some schools are providing incoming freshmen with ipods be a sign that it's very useful for students?

ipods are overpriced as they are now, take away a discount for the typical money-tight college student and they turn to the cheaper priced Sony, Dell, etc.

like i said, if this is even true, which i don't see it being.

6. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I don't really see Apple doing this. They don't offer that much of a discount on them anyway, isn't it like 10%?? I think Apple can afford to keep giving students a discount. They make up for it with the millions of other iPods sold at regular price.

7. dxp4acu macrumors regular

But they aren't overpriced. They are, in fact, cheaper than Dell and Sony offerings.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I can't find the link now, but I read about this a few days ago. It referred only to Australia.

9. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, thanks, that's what I was dreading. I'm in a hang up because I'd love a new one but I'd fill a 60 gig and I'm kinda hanging out for the 80 gig. Strangely, I can't see it coming out in the next three days so I'll have to pay full price for it which going by the pricing in Aus of almost every other top model iPod recently is the difference between about $900 and $700 which is definitely more than 10%.

BTW, I found this out because my friend was looking at the iRiver because of it's apparent easier photo capabilities which is $700 for a 40 gig as opposed to an edu iPod 60 gig at just under $600. That's a fair whack cheaper plus the iPod is better IMO (less needlessly complicated) so we're off to get one for him tomorrow. :)

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Wow, you're spoiled. I thought you were joking at first, but no. I'm speechless. However, I will add that I never thought that the iPod was covered by the edu discount since it's a freaking' mp3 player. How is an iPod gonna help me write papers, or do research, or write/shoot/edit my films?

11. primalman macrumors 6502a

How? Cause you can use it as a portable hard drive and with the iTalk you can use to record class lectures. You can also store calenders and notes [from your Mac].

It is handy in many ways.

12. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Apologies. I didn't realize college kids weren't allowed to take notes by hand or have notebooks anymore. I didn't realize that we HAD to use an iPod to do that. Thanks for clering that up. I guess, I have to drop out of school now since I'm so unprepared w/o my "handy" iPod. :rolleyes:

13. primalman macrumors 6502a

Ha ha. I'm just saying that it CAN be used, in addition to any other method. And whe I was in undergrad school in the late 80s and early 90s, I used a microcassette recorder to tape art history and other lectures for later review and to enhance/complete the notes I had taken in class. iPod sure would have been easier to use, store the lacture in iTunes rather than taping over it cause tapes were a little pricey over time to archive all of them.

14. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Oh. Point taken, I can see a (very) slight value in using it to record lectures. My first post was just pointing out that the lad doesn't NEED an iPod for school. To me an iPod or any mp3 player, pda, etc. is just status symbol amongst young adults and teens. His education doesn't hang on the balance due to not having any of these things.

15. qzak macrumors 6502

of course i dont NEED it. yeah, i said "i have to have my ipod" sorry, didn't mean it literally i guess, i'm just saying i've grown very used to having it while walking 15-20 minutes across campus. one of my design prof. just brought up iPods in class a few days ago saying he loves his and he never even uses it for music. he keeps all his design work on there as a backup, and strongly suggesting any of his students with ipods to start using them as such aswell. i mean an ipod is a much more portable hard drive, all it really is, so theres tons of things u (a college student, a designer, whatever u may be) can use it for

16. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

The iPod helps you become more anti-social.

17. Cybernanga macrumors regular

As iPod's become more common, I'm sure we'll start to see teachers & lecturers distributing additional notes in audio form as MP3 downloads.

I know that I was still teaching, I'd be doing it right now. It's a great way to get extra information to students.

Also, Music students could find them very usefull, as could broadcast journalism students, and others.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

PodCasts

19. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I use mine to save (enormous) projects at school. Well, I did, until I filled it completely with music and started bringing my PowerBook. But all my friends use theirs to save projects too. I knew a guy with a 1G with a broken scroll wheel that he lugged around anyway, to use as an external drive.

20. The Past macrumors 6502

Did the original post mean getting rid of the discount or dropping prices? Now I am confused.

21. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, sorry about that. I changed the title to try to make it less confusing for everyone. What I was saying is that Apple will stop providing the education discounts on iPods - ie prices will effectively rise for students. :(

I went to a different store and asked about it and they pretty much confirmed it but I guess we'll find out tomorrow...