Apple dropping OSX to adopt Windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PharmD, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PharmD macrumors 6502

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, it was reported on FOX News, so it has to be true, right? :rolleyes:

Macs may one day be able to run Windows, but never will they give up OS X in favor of Windows. If they do, I'll pull a neat gekko. Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Answer this for me .. Why did Apple say Mac OS X would be an OS lasting for @ least 20 years ?
    ^^ IIRC is from like 2000 expo i don't know which one :eek: :eek:

If they're (apple) going to Windows ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's plain retarded.

Why would anyone then pay more for a Mac to run Windows?

6. iBunny macrumors 65816

I do not think OSX will get dummped for Windows. I personally think that in say, 2 years time frame, Apple Machines will come preloaded with Windows As well as OSX. OSX being the primary os, but allowing a dual boot to Windows Vista. The hardware is there to do it now, and it would make alot of sense. I mean, would you just buy a PC and get Just windows? Or an Apple (Same hardware as a PC) But you get to run both OS's? The choice is simple. One stop Shop, just buy a Mac and get the best of all worlds.

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I don't see Apple getting rid of OS X anytime soon, however I won't say that Windows won't become an option in the future

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I doubt it. Apple would have to pay licensing fees to Microsoft for every machine. Most Mac users wouldn't want it. If you want to put it on there, you'll have to buy it yourself and load it.

Why would Apple make me pay more for a machine or take a cut in profit to include a competitor's product? I could see it possibly as a build-to-order option, but standard? No way.

9. PharmD thread starter macrumors 6502

10. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

With the Virtualization technologies going into the Intel Chips, who is to say that people will not be able to run Windows Apps in OSX, ala VPC Extreme 9 in some form ).

I see a day where we will be running windows Apps on our Macs, but knowing the Design styles of Apple, it won't be just a crude implementation such as Dual Boot, or Windows in a box.

I see no reason to assume the death of OSX just yet.

Max.

11. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Even though the iPod may be mainly geared towards Macs, there are just more Windows machines out there than Macs. So of course why would they continue something like that when the USB is just a cheaper option. My dad, sadly and stupidly, bought a Dell almost two years ago. He got it completely speced out with basically every option. However it doesn't have Firewire. And Apple also dropped Firewire 800. I personally prefer Firewire over USB when I have a choice, but how much of a dwindling market is it? That's just my opinion.

I don't think Apple would get rid of OS X. I do have to agree that running Windows might become an option, but using both, I don't want Windows as I personally prefer being virus free thank you very much.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

blah. i'm sick of hearing this trash. one thread on it is enough. :eek:

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, they haven't, at least not yet. We'll know if Apple is abandoning FireWire 800 when the pro-model Intel Macs appear later this year. I'm betting they'll come with a BTO option of a FW 800 PCI card.

But I agree, one of Dvorak's more lunatic remarks (it's so hard to choose) is picking on recent iPod models lack of FireWire as an indication of anything except the relative prevalence of USB.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

concur 100%.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.