Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
And shipping has slipped to 1-3 months on some critical dongles...

It just works! In the Spring! Merry Christmas!

belkin.jpg
You had me at critical dongles

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Can't wait for my new maxed out MacBook Pro (minus the 2TB SSD) to arrive! Definitely one of the only MacBook Pro upgrades that really excites me. And I went from the 2006 MacBook Pro to the 2008 to the 2012. Glad to see Apple finally pick it up and release this groundbreaking one.

Can't believe slipping dates already fell into 2017 for some people. Guess it's more popular than they anticipated.

xkam1x

Cancelled
Dec 15, 2014
Now apple need to fix the Mac lineup, something like below.

12” Macbook
  • Thin and Light
  • CoreM processor (High End) (fanless)
  • Integrated GPU
  • Retina Display
  • 8GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 2 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1000
13” Macbook
  • Thin and Light
  • Core i5 processor dual-core (Mid Range)
  • Integrated GPU
  • Retina Display
  • 8GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 2 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1300
13” Macbook Pro
  • Pro machine - not necessarily thin and light
  • Core i7 processor quad-core (Mid Range)
  • Dedicated GPU (Mid Range)
  • Retina Display
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1500
15” Macbook Pro
  • Pro machine
  • Core i7 processor quad-core (High End)
  • Dedicated GPU (High End)
  • Retina Display
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1700
iMac 21.5
  • Retina Display
  • 8GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1400
iMac 27
  • Pro machine
  • Retina Display
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1700
MacPro
  • Xeon processor hexa-core (Mid Range) to high end
  • 2x Dedicated GPU (Mid Range) to high end
  • 32GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 6 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 10Gb/s dual ethernet
  • Start at $3500
Mac Mini
  • Core i5 processor dual-core (Mid Range) to i7 High end
  • Integrated and dedicated GPU options
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 2 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1Gb/s ethernet
  • Start at $600

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I received my USB-C to USB two days ago from them. I wonder if they'll refund me the difference?

You can order another and when it gets to you, ship the first one back. Might take less time than dealing with customer service!

Also, it's possible your credit card may cover it. I got $50 from my credit card back when the SE price dropped. They offer 60 day price protection.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Hi Timmy,
Remember when Steve reduced the price of the iPhone 1 by 33% after a few months on the market because they ran out early adopters. Now it's time to reduce the MBP by 33% to bring on the big crowd of people waiting to buy it... and give the early adopters a refund of the difference.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Someone called this in a thread a few days ago.

Well, I am sure this is really good news for many people.
It's reassuring Tim is at least somewhat receptive to overwhelming price level outcries by Mac communities such as ours. Kudos for that. Readers on tech blog sites such as MR and the like have been justified about crying the blues about the price of those now necessary adapters, etc. And even at these lower prices, Apple still makes a tidy profit on them.

Tim and Co are also no doubt realizing that at those original prices, too many would resort to the much less expensive third party options.

Edit: Just noticed this little qualifier.....

"Through the end of the year, we are reducing prices on all USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 peripherals we sell, as well as the prices on Apple's USB-C adapters and cables."

Come on Tim, don't spoil it now!

Last edited:

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
Sorry, but if your not using wireless by now, i have no sympathy for you. DO you also wash your dishes by hand instead of using a device called a dishwasher?? LOL :p

Why yes, some do wash their dishes by hand. Not all Kitchen Aid products are dishwasher safe. Good lord, didn't your mother make you do dishes as a kid?

Last edited:

Clidus

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Confirmed with Apple support that people are getting refunds.

"So to clarify the update on our side-Customers who purchased USB-C eligible accessories between Oct. 27 and Nov. 4 are eligible for a reimbursement of the difference between the old and new prices. We will reach out to online store customers over the next week to offer them a credit."

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
You need ethernet for intranet. Maybe you don't work for a company that cares about its intellectual property.

Dishwasher's capability is very limited and uses a lot of energy, that's why under a lot of circumstances people still wash their stuff (not just dishes) by hands.
Err no you don't...Most of the intranets are wireless now.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

The simple USB-C to USB Adapter, formerly priced at $19, is now $9, while the more expensive USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, formerly $49, is now available for $29. Even Apple's newly released Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter has seen a price drop from $49 to $29.
Pretty sure this is wrong. Also, the discounts aren't permanent. They're valid through Dec 31st.

Reactions: rtdunham

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
So I have to share my thoughts and call out all those people who told the vocal people that they were being "whiners" or there was nothing wrong with dongle madness.

It's pretty unheard of for Apple dropping prices so early, and it's because so many people called out Apple on their greediness with dongles. This is what the new Apple needs, consumers who aren't Fan boys or who aren't sheep, that are willing to call Tim on his stupidity.

There is a difference between courage, and stupid product planning and greediness. I'm glad Apple reversed course and this time we didn't need Taylor Swift intervention (but who knows, maybe Tim got the call from her). Tim gets a lot of praise for things that he has nothing to do with, Samsung has to recall a high demand product, Dongle head Tim gets credit for sales going up. It's a shame, can't wait for the fool to retire.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
It's reassuring Tim is at least somewhat receptive to overwhelming price level outcries by Mac communities such as ours. Kudos for that. Readers on tech blog sites such as MR and the like have been justified about crying the blues about the price of those now necessary adapters, etc. And even at these lower prices, Apple still makes a tidy profit on them.

Tim and Co are also no doubt realizing that at those original prices, too many would resort to the much less expensive third party options.

But the people complaining about our complaining will never thank us for our complaining. The dongles were grossly overpriced evidenced by the significant price drops. Apple isn't taking a loss here.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
This.

Yes!

If the iPhone 7 was USB-C it would have solved a few problems. Namely being able to plug it in out of the box (they could have included a USB-C to USB-A adapter for everyone else). Then the headphones would have been compatible too. Not to mention the convenience of being able to charge your phone at maximum speed with your MacBook Pro charger.

The worst part is that Apple have now locked them selves in. Imagine the outrage from everybody that bought lightning headphones if they would decide to switch to USB-C for iPhone 8.

No, the worst part is that there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER to use Lightning headphones on a Mac -- any Mac, including the new MBPs.

Where's the logic in that!? Apple gives new iPhone customers a pair of Lightning EarPods and they can only be used on the iPhone 7, and some iOS devices. So where is the Lightning headphone to USB-C dongle?

Now I get they want to push wireless, but where are the W1 chipped AirPods, or any W1 chipped earbuds for that matter that make cross-platform use a reasonable replacement for a wired 3.5mm headphone jack?

The good news is, Apple has done just about everything possible to give people a reason NOT to buy Lightning headphones, or at leased those with a fixed cable like the Apple Lightning EarPods. Most good quality Lighting headphones I've seen have detachable cables, so buy a pair with a Lightning interface is really not going to upset people too much if Apple switches to USB-C (which I doubt). However, in the interim, there's no adapter of any kind available to use them on a Mac, nor anything else for that matter.

Including a free adapter in with the iPhone 7 may have been more than just to accommodate those with expensive 3.5mm headphones, but rather an acknowledgment that Lightning is a poor solution for headphones, and that they have no intention of every allowing someone to convert an analogue or digital signal for use with Lightning headphones.

It's a sad state of affairs.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This should of been included in the box.. Apple feels a little guilty by dropping the price.. A company this greedy can't have a viable future
This "what" should have been included in the box?

There were six different USB-C adapters listed in the OP...

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
It seems like like Apple marched Phil Schiller out a week later to address the backlash.

Apple’s Philip Schiller talks computers, touchscreens and voice on the new MacBook Pro

Wow, those are slow softball question, what a FLUFFY Piece of Journalism. Its like reading a review of a Porsche 911. Yeah, awesome car, but who is the article geared toward.

Phillip Schiller -- "There has certainly been a lot of passionate dialogue and debate about the new MacBook Pro! Many things have impressed people about it, and some have caused some controversy. I hope everyone gets a chance to try it for themselves and see how great the MacBook Pro is. It is a really big step forward and an example of how much we continue to invest in the Mac. We love the Mac and are as committed to it, in both desktops and notebooks, as we ever have been"

What?? Committed to desktops? Now I know this is fluff.

Last edited:

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Now apple need to fix the Mac lineup, something like below.

12” Macbook
  • Thin and Light
  • CoreM processor (High End) (fanless)
  • Integrated GPU
  • Retina Display
  • 8GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 2 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1000
13” Macbook
  • Thin and Light
  • Core i5 processor dual-core (Mid Range)
  • Integrated GPU
  • Retina Display
  • 8GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 2 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1300
13” Macbook Pro
  • Pro machine - not necessarily thin and light
  • Retina Display
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1500
15” Macbook Pro
  • Pro machine
  • Retina Display
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1700
iMac 21.5
  • Retina Display
  • 8GB RAM minimum
  • 256GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1400
iMac 27
  • Pro machine
  • Core i7 processor quad-core (High Range)
  • Retina Display
  • 16GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 4 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 1080p Webcam
  • Start at $1700
MacPro
  • Xeon processor hexa-core (Mid Range)
  • 2x Dedicated GPU (Mid Range)
  • 32GB RAM minimum
  • 512GB SSD minimum
  • 6 USB-C Ports minimum
  • 10Gb dual ethernet
  • Start at $3500

Did you really leave out the Mac Mini?

Reactions: cjgrif

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
All hail Tim "dongle head" McCook!

Seriously though, I guess this means they are listening to the complaints...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.