Apple drops to 381 on Forbes 500

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by medea, Mar 31, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Apple has placed at number 381 on this year's Forbes 500 list, a report card on how large corporations performed in 2002 according to the popular magazine. Apple dropped 92 places from 289 last year. The company ranked 248 for sales, 443 for assets, and 301 in overall market value.
    http://www.forbes.com/home/2003/03/26/500sland.html

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Apples still doing ok, most tech companies suffered last year, hopefull it will turn around this year

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yeah, hopefully it will turn around. At least Jobs' approval rating is high.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ranking on this list does not matter, neither does market share

the game for dominance is over and the pc side has won

the best we can do is to keep profitable so we can have quality macs under our fingertips for this year and many years to come

like the car analogies have mentioned, think of us as bmw as opposed to general motors...smaller, yes...but better in every way

if apple's lowest market share i have seen so far recently, at 1.5 percent falls to under one percent...i want to be that one percent who uses macs as my primary machine

my pc is my secondary machine and i use it only for pc classes in programming or computer hardware classes

5. PC Clone macrumors member

:rolleyes: Riiight... I'd like to think of Apple as the company who produces clown cars for circuses :D

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ok, then...i take it you are referring to the few years of apple using cute candy colors

well, then think of them as clown cars which are "easy" to drive and require "far less maintenance" than any other car and last a long, long time

our "clown cars" may not be fast, but since they are easy to use and have a much better uptime, productivity levels stay high

and you pc guys have all those games to keep your productivity low;)

7. PC Clone macrumors member

Had nothin to do with the colors... they're just silly computers...

Maybe if BMW's were slower than all the other cars on the street, were less compatible with parts, and were pretty much ignored by all the other drivers... THEN Apple would be like it =)

8. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Maybe BMW isn't the best example. Maybe Rolls Royce. They aren't the fastest things around, are very incompatible, some are hand made. They are very nice to have, status symbols, cost more, but just as functional as cars that cost less and are faster.

9. PC Clone macrumors member

[​IMG]

10. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I might add, that while they cost more, you get more use out of it, and have more fun driving it.

11. PC Clone macrumors member

Well I'm sure every PC enthusiast would disagree with you there, but to each his own I suppose...

12. claytonbench macrumors member

RE: PC Clone

Anybody who uses windows xp shouldnt be posting anything negative about apple.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"Maybe if BMW's were slower than all the other cars on the street"
    A ford can do maybe 130 MPH, a BMW a lot faster. But who needs to go even 130? Very few people. Same thing with computers. People are always complaining about how slow macs are, but except for some professional users, who really cares? I personally don't need the speed that either a dual 1.42 Ghz PM or a 3 Ghz P4 provides. 3 Ghz, 7Ghz, 10Ghz, what do I care? I don't need it. You may have a BMW that can do 210, but how often does the average user need to use even half of it's full speed?

"were less compatible with parts"
    wow, haven't heard this tired old song in a while. Exactly what can't a Mac run?

"and were pretty much ignored by all the other drivers..."
    If other drivers want to drive their generic, clumsy, breakable pieces of junk while I drive a car that is a pleasure just to be in and has *never once* broken down, why would I care what the other drivers think?

and in conclusion, why would a PC user come on here just to bash macs? What's the point of hanging around a forum for users of "silly computers"?

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i invite all skeptical pc users to hang out here and on other mac related sites for a long time...we will get some switchers that way

i am a pc tech and i used to belong to a pc site and it's amazing how many of the posts were about problems with windows

i don't see pcs as the problem, but the operating system called windows ;)

the real beauty of the mac mostly lies in its great heritage of easy to use and stable operating systems

15. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The beauty of pcs on the other hand, is their extreme cheapness (in more ways than one). Seriously though, PCs are significantly less expensive than macs. Right now, I'm upgrading my Duron 700Mhz to an Athlon XP 1800+ thoroughbred B with the 1.5V cores that allow you to easily overclock the processor to an XP 2600 or higher without any problems for about $100. That'll go well with my 512Mb of 333Mhz DDR Ram and KT3 333 motherboard which cost about $100 by themselves.

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Market value is one thing, but consumer preference is another. Apple hit the education market hard in the past 10 years. Students at a variety of age levels learned on macs. Once you've learned on a mac, going to PC is stupid. Learning on a PC, going to a mac takes a lot of guts to stand apart from the rest.

The overall impact on the computing market will grow as the children of the late 80s and 90s come to purchase a computer of choice.

17. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

18. PC Clone macrumors member

Anybody who uses windows xp shouldnt be posting anything negative about apple.
    What's that?? I can't hear you! The sound of my right-click button being pressed over and over again is too loud and I can't make out what you said!? :p Small joke, small joke...
    A ford can do maybe 130 MPH, a BMW a lot faster. But who needs to go even 130? Very few people.
    Good point... however aside from the fact that many people can and do need that extra speed, I think it's silly that Apple charges an arm and a leg for a computer you could get for alot less and better...
    wow, haven't heard this tired old song in a while. Exactly what can't a Mac run?
    I wouldn't know as I fortunately haven't had to experience that... but you should ask the hundreds of other people on this site who still use PC's on the side...
    If other drivers want to drive their generic, clumsy, breakable pieces of junk while I drive a car that is a pleasure just to be in and has *never once* broken down, why would I care what the other drivers think?
    Well I dunno about you but I've never had to spend $150 on "Applecare" and I've never had to send my computer to some shop to get fixed either...
    i am a pc tech and i used to belong to a pc site and it's amazing how many of the posts were about problems with windows
    Which is to be expected when your OS caters to 95% of the computer world and deals with hundreds and hundreds of programs, not to mention all the geeks who love to tweak and mod their systems, putting its limits to the test...

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

pc clone,

be glad you have windows xp w/kerberos, ntfs, and built-in C2lvldodsec, and built-in, but admitedly hard to find multi function customizing firewalls

win 95/98 were full of problems and lacked security

and windows 3.1...we won't even go there

and windows ME...yuck

windows 2000...not the multimedia choice with a slim hcl list and long time to launch and getting third party software developers on board

windows xp, build 2600, nt 5.1, is the pc world's os x in a sense and is really a pretty good operating system

but i still prefer os x

:p

20. PC Clone macrumors member

XP is a great operating system... I had Windows ME on this machine when I first bought it so I know what a bad OS is like... aside from Wiindows 2000, neither Mac nor PC's have had a really great OS until XP and OSX...

21. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Operating Systems

I've used every Windows system since 3.1 and XP is definitely the best for its respective time frame in Windows history. That said, I've hated almost every Mac OS that I've seen until X, which is so radically different, that I still swoon over it.

It's hard to say if there is one "better" OS, it depends on what you need, and what you already know. PC die-hards will rarely switch and Mac lovers would be too ashamed. {duck and cover}

Besides, if there was a *necessary* Win program, the VPC would suffice.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think mac os has always been great...from my experiences since 1993, at least

windows 2000 was good after other companies, especially gaming companies and lan/wan related companies, got on the nt 5.0 bandwagon

but xp is good, and i know some mac only people will kill me for that statement :p

23. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I agree. I grew up on a Mac, starting from system 7.0 on to OS X but I have also used windows 3.11 - XP and I find that windows has improved a lot over the years. 98SE was the first decent Windows iteration and XP is the best. XP never gives you blue screens and it really is rock stable but the OS X still feels better to me somehow. I guess it also brings out some nostalgic feelings... :)

24. besson3c macrumors member

My god these arguments are so OLD OLD OLD and TIRED TIRED TIRED. I have heard these arguments 1000 times! If you are going to waste your time coming in here and provoking responses from Mac fans, you might as well come up with some better arguments, no?

If these are honestly the best arguments you can come up with:

- you can get a two button (or more) mouse from Walmart and plug it in to your Mac. Both buttons will work. You're out $20 or whatever for the cost of the mouse. So glad we've covered this.

- 2 ghz overclocked Athlon blah blah blah means NOTHING to the average consumer, nor should it. We are at the point in computing where the faster computer doesn't make a whole lot of difference to the average user's workflow like it did several years ago. HD, RAM, Mhz specs are all pretty much superflous stats these days for most people.

For the people who *need* powerful computers like these, they will research the computer best for them and purchase one which will best justify their expense. For a business this is simply trading one asset for another. Computers are tools, Macs will be bought if they make sense to the consumer/business.

A price difference based on specs like Mhz alone in and of itself should not deter you from getting a Mac. If you want one, buy one. You are not some brilliant consumer if you buy a PC over a Mac because it is 300 Mhz faster (or whatever) and $200 (or whatever) less. You are not getting better "value for your money" because they are completely different computers! Am I getting better value for my money when I buy an orange from the grocery store that is priced cheaper than an Apple?.... hmmmm... that orange is so much more valuable than that "silly Apple". I'm brilliant.

There is some software that Macs won't run and some hardware with no drivers available, but don't waste your time parroting what other people have told you unless you want to talk specifics. Otherwise.... *yawn*..... too much work to finish this sentence.

Re: your PC never breaking down. Emperical evidence is a very limited foundation for basing an opinion like this. All computers break down. Apple has a slight advantage due to the vertical intergration between their software and hardware. Applecare is an extended warranty program.

Yes, there is a larger number of breakdowns of PCs because there is a larger number of PCs in the market. Computers break down. Why not look at the *causes* of these problems?

Personally, I'm pretty tired of spyware, viruses, security patches... more security patches, an intrusive paperclip thing telling me to sign up for .Net and win a free Dodge Stratus, the usual sorts of PC problems. Of course, Macs are not without their problems too, I just find the problems Macs are faced with to be less annoying and the company less annoying.

Save us the argument about how there is more spyware and viruses and security problems because there are more PC users. While this is certainly an important factor, most Unix security faults are things like buffer overrun errors and non-severe bugs and stuff which can pretty easily be dealt with from my understanding.

The whole Outlook/virus thing was a fundimental flaw, the whole registry thing is a fundimental flaw (in my opinion), Windows is a fundimental flaw. I'm no security expert, but all of these security exploits just seem like one rerun after another.

What you could use for a good argument though is calling me on how I just wasted my time with this lengthy reply.

25. PC Clone macrumors member

The arguments are OLD OLD TIRED TIRED because they're TRUE TRUE... the mouse thing was just a tease... I know you can buy whatever mice you want, which is why I think it's silly that Apple still ships out their products with the one button models... and yes I know you don't always need the fastest machine around, but you also shouldn't be paying more for a machine thats slower... your argument is basically that people who buy Macs do so because that's their taste... fine... but when every other thread on this site includes some Mac person bashing PCs so that they can feel superior, I feel the need to say something...