Apple DVD Player problem with "Copy Protection"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sedulous, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Recently I wanted to watch "Million Dollar Baby" on DVD. I put the DVD in and........ nothing! My computer won't even mount the stupid disc. This was the first time I had experienced this problem with any of my 300+ DVDs (that I own). Yes indeed, I was rather annoyed. I had come across a similar thread started (and quickly ended) here, which I had hoped would answer the question. So I ask in less "offensible" terms (that is a legit word, just ask the Dubya): Is there a way to play these new (and very annoying) overly copyprotected DVDs?

The disc plays normally in a stand-alone DVD player.

OS 10.4.2 on Quicksilver Dual 800MHz w/Superdrive

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no ideas, but you could return the disc as defective if you can't get it going.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Sedulous meet RipGuard:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4266977.stm

4. Sedulous thread starter macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Urgh, well that sucks. "RipGuard" doesn't live up to its name. In fact, the only way I could watch the stupid movie was to rip it (and to avoid provoking the wrath of a moderator - let's just say the program starts with "hand-----").

How likely is it that there will be a fix for this? It is a real pain to rip every movie I want to watch.

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

You'll be happy to hear this then :D:

Not sure how this affects Non-Windows Systems though but it can only get tougher in the future

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

I watched that on my Quicksilver without any problems... though im not using TIger yet.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sed,

How did you rip the movie without mounting it? In your first post, you said it wouldn't mount.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think he means it wouldn't mount on the desktop. Lots of times Disk Utility and other Apps can still see it and do things with it.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Learn something new everyday.

ft

10. Sedulous thread starter macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Excellent question but I don't have a very satisfying answer: Handbrake detected the DVD eventhough it wouldn't show on the desktop and Apple's DVD player, along with several other apps refused to "see" the DVD.

11. Sedulous thread starter macrumors 68000

Sedulous

My guess is that it has something to do either with Tiger's version of DVD Player or possibly a difference between our optical drives (I have and old 2x superdrive).