Apple DVI to (s)Video adaptor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrgreen4242, Sep 26, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the DVI to video adaptor that Apple sells? How is the quality on this thing? According to the one review on Apple's site, it's not very good, but that's just one guy, so I take it with a grain of salt... so anyone use this thing? I'd like to use it to hook my mini up to my TV. Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have one, but it's connecting my PMG5 to my crap home office 20" TV, so I cannot tell you if it's really good. However, I will say that I'm able to set the monitor (TV) to 800x600, and, although obviously the aptly described crap TV can't possibly hope to show that, I was amazed at how good it looked (compared to my expectations of 640x480 being useless).

I'm not saying I see 800x600 pixels, because, obviously, I don't. But it does look surprisingly good, so I'd have to say it must be a pretty decent adapter.

Sorry I don't have a better one to use to evaluate it with.

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Cool, I have a crap TV at the moment as well, but my HDTV fund is about half full at the moment. :)

I might pick one up sometime to try it out... the only thing that would be a pain is to be switching the cable back and forth from the monitor the the TV. I'd also be worried about sending a signal with too high a refresh or resolution that could damage the TV, does OS X automatically detect what kind of device you have connected to the DVI port when you connect it?

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I use mine all the time for watching keynotes or if I'm wanting to show someone vacation pictures without burning a DVD. I've been very pleased with its performance. I wish Apple shipped it standard because many people don't know it exists.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I have a Mini-VGA to Video adapter and it works great. I get 1024x768 on my 32" projection tv. Looks good about 10 feet away... but not really really close.

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sounds fairly positive, so I think I will definately pick one up and try it out... sadly, I think the length of cabling I am going to need will cost more than the adaptor. :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a rumor about a new Airport Express with video streaming coming out? Where was the info on that, I can't remember if it was a real rumor or just some idle speculation.