Apple DVI to Video adapter not working?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by juanm, Dec 23, 2006.

1. juanm Suspended

May 1, 2006
    Hi everybody...

A friend of mine has a 17" Powerbook, and he wants to hook it up to a TV. I've got him an Apple DVI to Video adapter.
    We connect the adapter to the DVI port, and use the RCA out, with an RCA-RCA cable which goes to the RCA video input of the TV.

The thing is the Powerbook detects that something is attached, so it fades to blue (it's ok, like when you attach a 2nd screen) and then goes black. We can see the mouse on the PB screen (at a much lower resolution, though) for a second, but it soon becomes a single white dot in the middle of the screen (which, by the way, stays still when we move the mouse).

On the TV side, nothing. Black.
    What am I doing wrong? Are the powerbook or the adapter misbehaving? I have to say that he already uses the DVI to VGA adapter correctly. Have I missed a step in the process? I thought it was just plug and play...

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    It should just be plug and play, and should work like the VGA adapter. Sounds wrong to me. Is the TV set to the proper input? Regardless, the PB screen shouldn't act like that.